If you want to make a splash

sonnybono3000

Reaction score
I think Church is a really good player and one of the most underrated players in the league. He doesn't stack up to a 5 x 1st team All Pro like Thomas but few do. I can understand there's an element of popularity with some of Thomas' selections but he's still a great player and worth well more than 8.5m a season IMO. I think he'd get more like 11m a season.
He's not even going to get that from Seattle. And I think while Church is under rated, Earl is over rated and could actually be on the decline. NO WAY I give him 10 to 11 million per year and the Cowboys won't either.

sonnybono3000

Reaction score
I think Church is a really good player and one of the most underrated players in the league. He doesn't stack up to a 5 x 1st team All Pro like Thomas but few do. I can understand there's an element of popularity with some of Thomas' selections but he's still a great player and worth well more than 8.5m a season IMO. I think he'd get more like 11m a season.
He's not even going to get that from Seattle. And I think while Church is under rated, Earl is over rated and could actually be on the decline. NO WAY I give him 10 to 11 million per year and the Cowboys won't either.
So we've come to the conclusion that usi

We've established using tackle stats and the like isnt a good measure correct?
NOPE. We have not. This was an argument offerend.

We've established that when Thomas got injured that his team goes from being the best defense in the league to one of the worst.
Nope. That was "ONE" of the reasons.

We've established that the main reason for their drop off was that they allowed passes of 20+ yards which is the main assignment for FSs in the NFL.
Not exactly.....but he plays a big role and is a very good player as I have said but by no means Ed Reed IMO

We've established that Thomas is amongst the tops in the league every year in PDs, which paired with INTs is the best indicator of performance amongst FSs.
Last year he had 6 and it was not near the top. Church had 8 and 4 INTs playing away from the line the most he has with better players around him. And YES 'we have established' as you have been saying....."PD's and INS" are "2" of the best indicators as to the performance of a FS.....so are tackles. But for the sake of this particular discussion those who want to disparage a guy like Church will underrate tackles and tackles for loss.

I think our discuccion here is done, right? He's one of the best safeties we've seen this century and there's really no debating it. Calling him an "ok" player is silly. "Ok" players dont make a touchdown difference on the defensive side of the ball.
Best in a century my butt. I said he is better than avg and not 'GREAT" and I stand by it. He is NOT Ed Reed and the point always was...."IF" we gave this guy 8.5 million...now 10 to 11 per a post above......Cowboys fans would be disappointed in the end IMO.

Good conversation, I think we both gained somethijg from it.

The biggest point is....."IF" he would try to command 10 million IT AINT HAPPENING! And the front office would be "smart' not to pay that. Now I think we are done.

jay94

Reaction score
We need an upgrade at the safety position, I would be fine with either of the two. We need to do something, unless we keep on planning to be the moniker of mediocrity. When you see the star that's what you see these days.

kwcool619

Reaction score
We need an upgrade at the safety position, I would be fine with either of the two. We need to do something, unless we keep on planning to be the moniker of mediocrity. When you see the star that's what you see these days.

Pray that Derwin James (Florida State) miraculously and mysteriously fall to 19. One bright spots in the Seminoles not-so-good season.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
NOPE. As I said.....I watch the games. I know his flaws. You don't seem to and seem enamored over a name.
THe POINT of the stats over the last 4 years was to show that Earls "best" season was 4 years ago. This is "WHY" you just posted "ALL" the numbers. See last year. NUFF SAID. Church had a better year on a better Defense and posted better numbers. Thomas still got 2nd team all pro.....an award. The Jags had a better D and Church was a big part of that. If you can't see that....thats on you.

And per the stats that you posted on earl and the Seahawks. Thomas was not the only player missing that entire team fell apart. Go watch the games as I have when this conversation came up and get back to me. Earl Thomas should not be paid 8.5 million dollars to play with the Cowboys in 2018. Fans would ultimately be disappointed for that number. I've seen it a dozen times. If he'll take 4 years 28-30 million with a 6 million signing bonus and they'll take a 4th round pick fine. 4 years 35-40 million and anything more than that 4th is too much IMO for a guy who is about to be 30.
No Thomas missed those allotted games. In week 14 against the packers for example Thomas, and Brock Coyle(who?) Were the only defensive players that missed the game. Unless youre counting pffensive players for some reason..?

Now what?

Explain why a guy who makes a 7.5 point allowed difference per game doesnt command 8.5M? Lol.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's also weird you keep on bringing up ET's age, consideing he is younger than Church haha. Quite the oversight bud.

Also safety is a position that you can play at a high level until your mid 30's.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

The biggest point is....."IF" he would try to command 10 million IT AINT HAPPENING! And the front office would be "smart' not to pay that. Now I think we are done.
It's weird you only want to use last years PDs and INTs? Seems odd. I'll put it this way ET averages 8.25 PDs per season the last four seasons. Church averages 4.5 dispite playing more games haha. Almost double in less games.

INTs? ET averages 2.5 per season while Church averages 2 in more games played.

Only want to use stats from last year? Okay ET had the same amount of solo tackles and double the amount of assisted tackles despite playing FS while Church plays SS which typically has way more tackles than your traditional SS. Again in less 2 less games than Church.

Very odd