If you were interviewing to be the HC of the Cowboys, what would be your demands?

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
If you were interviewing to be the HC of the Cowboys, what would be your demands? Mine sound like deal breakers until they are explained.

1 – Final say on the entire coaching staff. Jerry, as Owner/President/General Manager you hire and fire the head coach…I handle the rest of the staff (including trainers). I would want to discuss the various positions with you because there may be a good reason why you want someone on the staff so badly, and if the two final candidates are almost even, I would put value on that reason. However, it there is an impasse on who to hire…I get the final call.

2 – Final say on playing time. There are very few ways a head coach can basically hit a player up-side the head with a 2 x 4 to get their attention…playing time is a big one. It can impact what bonuses they earn in their contract, their endorsements and it impacts personal stats (and therefore their standing among their peers). I would explain that obviously I’m not going to sabotage the team and the season, but if a player needs to be benched for a bit, he gets benched.

3 – Significant input on players. This is the flip side of the staff coin. There may be something I see in a player that will allow me to do something I have had to table because of personnel. However, if I am doing my job as head coach correctly, I haven’t spent a lot of time scouting players on other teams and probably haven’t spent a lot of time with the scouts (yet). Since my knowledge is more limited, if we are at an impasse on who to draft/sign…Jerry gets the final call.

4 – The contract must contain a clause that if anyone in the front office attempts to overrule my decision(s) on numbers 1 and/or 2, I can exercise the exclusive option to “resign for cause” and receive a Golden Parachute of $70 million.

I would then assure Jerry that I could not care less what he tweets, if he talks to the media, players, janitorial staff, etc.. I'll be doing my best to win and get us one of those gaudy rings.

Creeper

Reaction score
1. Jerry Jones is not allowed to talk to anyone in the organization but me. He can't talk to the player, the coaching staff, the trainers, the medical staff, not even the equipment manager.
2. New combination locks installed on the doors to the practice facilities and locker, training, and treatment rooms. Jerry is not allowed to know the combinations.
3. Me and all my coaches get new cell phones and Jerry cannot have any of the phone numbers.
4. Jerry is not allowed on the field before, during or after games.
5. Jerry can talk to the media, but the media will be told that he has no idea what's going on with the team because see demands 1-4.

leeblair

Reaction score
I'd want to keep the coordinators- who I personally think have done okay.
I'd want full power to levy fines and restrict playing time for any player needing discipline.
I'd want full control of weight training and practice schedules.
I'd want full control of media access to the players.
I'd want to work with Jerry on the draft and some issues, because he isn't as bad with it as some think.
I would want full control of roster cuts and who stays or leaves.
I'd want a real quarterback. Dak could stay, but not at the money he's hoping for.
I'd want to bring in free agents as needed to compete for roster spots.
I would demand full and final say on scheme and philosophy.
And since he overpaid Garrett, I'd expect at least what Garrett was paid for the first year. After that, we could negotiate.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you were interviewing to be the HC of the Cowboys, what would be your demands? Mine sound like deal breakers until they are explained.

1 – Final say on the entire coaching staff. Jerry, as Owner/President/General Manager you hire and fire the head coach…I handle the rest of the staff (including trainers). I would want to discuss the various positions with you because there may be a good reason why you want someone on the staff so badly, and if the two final candidates are almost even, I would put value on that reason. However, it there is an impasse on who to hire…I get the final call.

2 – Final say on playing time. There are very few ways a head coach can basically hit a player up-side the head with a 2 x 4 to get their attention…playing time is a big one. It can impact what bonuses they earn in their contract, their endorsements and it impacts personal stats (and therefore their standing among their peers). I would explain that obviously I’m not going to sabotage the team and the season, but if a player needs to be benched for a bit, he gets benched.

3 – Significant input on players. This is the flip side of the staff coin. There may be something I see in a player that will allow me to do something I have had to table because of personnel. However, if I am doing my job as head coach correctly, I haven’t spent a lot of time scouting players on other teams and probably haven’t spent a lot of time with the scouts (yet). Since my knowledge is more limited, if we are at an impasse on who to draft/sign…Jerry gets the final call.

4 – The contract must contain a clause that if anyone in the front office attempts to overrule my decision(s) on numbers 1 and/or 2, I can exercise the exclusive option to “resign for cause” and receive a Golden Parachute of $70 million.

I would then assure Jerry that I could not care less what he tweets, if he talks to the media, players, janitorial staff, etc.. I'll be doing my best to win and get us one of those gaudy rings.

Read the book Straight from the Gut by Jack Welch (GE's value increased by 4000% during his tenure as CEO).

Some things you demand up front but you can always "price yourself out" of jobs and never get the opportunity. It's what you do when you get the job that really matters.

Do you think Jerry gave Parcells a contract that said "Parcells is in Charge" ?

Parcells just took control using his dominant personality which is what had made him a successful Head Coach when guys with similar X & O knowledge like Wade Phillips were not good Head Coaches.

Wade wouldn't have been good if Jerry gave him complete control over everything even if Jerry agreed to spend 10 years on his yacht and not show up until again until after they had won a Super Bowl.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I'd ask for control of the "football team"....the on the field stuff.
who starts...who sits....who gets cut.
when/where/how/why/what about practices.
I'd ask for backing from the f/o in regards to fines.
authority to hire/fire asst coaches.

I'd want to have some say in the drafting and signing and trading of players....but Im not wanting to be the GM or Player Personnel Dir....but I'd like to have a voice in it.

if I didnt get it.....I'd walk.
I'm not gonna tell Jerry what ad deals to sign....I don't want the f/o to tell me which 5th WR to keep or what plays to run on 3rd and short.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

End of interview. Have a good day.

Rajveer

Reaction score
If all HCs interviewing with us would have these demands, I would not be surprised to find JG clapping on our sidelines again next season.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

TOTAL Control!!!

And Jerry go play Golf or find a hobby that doesn't involve NFL...

Chrispierce

Reaction score
That the FO can’t talk for me after games is a good place to start the discussion.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The Jones should be banned from operating any sport team unless it is curling.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Until I see what kind of guy Jerry is looking to hire , I'm not going to post anything that might take me out of contention.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
To be able to bench a few of these entitled losers, sign Dak, and Jerry to stay the $&@“ away from the team.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
1. Jerry Jones is not allowed to talk to anyone in the organization but me. He can't talk to the player, the coaching staff, the trainers, the medical staff, not even the equipment manager.
2. New combination locks installed on the doors to the practice facilities and locker, training, and treatment rooms. Jerry is not allowed to know the combinations.
3. Me and all my coaches get new cell phones and Jerry cannot have any of the phone numbers.
4. Jerry is not allowed on the field before, during or after games.
5. Jerry can talk to the media, but the media will be told that he has no idea what's going on with the team because see demands 1-4.

LLLOOOLLL, this

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:
3kmvk1.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator