If Zeke refuses to show up

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
tenor.gif
I’d argue that anyone that needed that explained is not to be trusted.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Its not actually that crazy. Zeke's wins over replacement is not that high. Pollard was seeing the holes and getting to them as quick as Zeke does. It would save $15 million a year in salary cap and we might get a pick or two from a trade.

Its basically all about resource management. Its not a bad play at this point.

Football and success is based on play makers. At this point Pollard looks great. But the sample size and competition is not a deal breaker for Zeke.

I will say this over and over. Zeke is the best player on this team and the best running back in the league.

Dallas will not trade Zeke. They will absorb the cost of his salary and then chase their destiny with a proven product over a kid that has shown flashes in preseason games.

Two significant points.

1. If Pollard is as good as advertised on this site, then can he take five or six carries from Zeke a game and extend his career? That seems to be a point no one has thought of at this point.

2. If Pollard is as advertised on this site, how much better would the team be with both than just one? Pollard would be depth.

And if Moore has a lick of sense he will draw up a few plays in the sand that have both in the backfield in a 22 offense, which changes the defenses approach.

Stack the line and you have one extra blocker and a guy drifting into the open space where the WR were at the snap.

Play action becomes more devastating. The lead draw becomes a serious weapon.

Hurt feeling of fans doesn't mean anything. Results do. And the magic beans of a trade detracts from the team this season when they have been built to win now.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd love to get a fresh Zeke back at game 11 for the back half of the season, including playoffs. Whatever we did or didn't do without him in the first 10 games, we're better with him for the rest of the way.
I understand that point, but there would also be a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I understand that point, but there would also be a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

I'm not soured on either. The situation is what it is. The NFL has a structural problem in compensation for RBs, who unlike other positions, use up their elite years while on their rookie contract. The CBA is a typical union contract, benefiting existing players over new players, who get screwed on their rookie contracts, but can cash in as vested vets and screw the next cohorts of rookies in their turn. But that doesn't work for rbs, who we *plan* to use up on their rookie contracts then spit out when the rookie contract is over.

Gurley, Bell, now Zeke. Jerry is conceding that elite RBs can't be expected to play out their rookie contracts and is offering a Gurley like contract to Zeke. Jerry should get some credit for figuring this out - though not so much, as it is his job after all, and it's not rocket science.

JeffAtl

Reaction score
The only thing the team has left is to fine him the max amount of money permissible. But be warned that probably makes the situation worse so save for last resort

Agreed, if the FO goes that route, they'd should just make him a healthy scratch for the games.

I'm not sure about how the contract is written, but the FO could possibly try to claw back some of the signing bonus money. The Jags explored that with Fournette and his attitude changed pretty quickly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Two significant points.

1. If Pollard is as good as advertised on this site, then can he take five or six carries from Zeke a game and extend his career? That seems to be a point no one has thought of at this point.

2. If Pollard is as advertised on this site, how much better would the team be with both than just one? Pollard would be depth.

And if Moore has a lick of sense he will draw up a few plays in the sand that have both in the backfield in a 22 offense, which changes the defenses approach.

Five or six carries easy. I not going to trust anyone for 25 carries a game if they've never done it before. But five or six should be well within the durability range of most any NFL player. Certainly a guy who has played RB.

You've identified the real advantage - getting both on the field a the same time.

Though I prefer 20 formation over 22 in our base 1st and 2nd down offense. Our TEs are possession receivers, and at best average blockers. I'd rather have to back off the safeties, and Olawale as a run blocker who can lead block and also take carries. Much like Beasley, TEs aren't a great complement to our run game. They don't clear defenders out of the box. And they don't take carries either. Guys with speed to beat you over the top who also takes carries complement Zeke. And we just so happened to have brought 3 of them onto the team - Pollard, Olawale, and Austin. Cooper, Gallup, and now Smith give us a staple of deep threats at the two true wideout spots.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Does he count against the 53 if he did not report?

Interesting point. I would guess not. If a player just went off the grid, I wouldn't expect the league to require a team to use a roster spot for him to keep his rights.