I'm depressed, Dez was my guy

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The heart and soul is gone. This is a sick nightmare.

While Dez was an important part of the team, Witten is and has been for the last few years the heart and soul of the team, if for no other reason than most are really pulling for him to get a ring based on the years of production and leadership.

Dez's antics early and late in his career, both off the field and on the field, aggravated many of the Cowboys fatithful, that kept him from being the heart and soul of the team...

khiladi

Reaction score
Never.....I'm born and bred Dallas. Dez is was the son of the city. We saw him everywhere. Clubs, the mall, the gym. He was a man of the people. We chose the robot over this. Jerry you will live to regret.

Don't worry.. You can always find Garrett tailing Jerry's flavor of the moment in the off-season pretending he's that new flavors best friend...

khiladi

Reaction score
While Dez was an important part of the team, Witten is and has been for the last few years the heart and soul of the team, if for no other reason than most are really pulling for him to get a ring based on the years of production and leadership.

Dez's antics early and late in his career, both off the field and on the field, aggravated many of the Cowboys fatithful, that kept him from being the heart and soul of the team...

I'm pulling for slow-as-molasses Witten to be benched... How the hell is he the heart-and-soul, when his blocking isn't even that good anymore and he still false-starts at crucial times?

khiladi

Reaction score
The way they did Romo, nothing surprises me anymore... All my defending of Jerry in the past has gone out the window..

It's pretty clear by now people in this organization got pictures on him and are black-mailing him. That's the only logical explanation. I guess that's kind of a defense of Jerry though.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
How the hell is he the heart-and-soul, when his blocking isn't even that good anymore and he still false-starts at crucial times?

As I said, he's been here 15 years. He has nearly every Cowboys receiving record, and with only 6 td catches, and if he gets about his average the last few years, he's have that also.

I would argue about his blocking not being good, etc, though he's never been fast, that's not in dispute ;). And as far as false starts? He had ONE last per http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/dallas-cowboys?year=2017&view=log.

T. Smith had 3. So I guess we need to bench Smith?

But you have to look beyond the stats as well. Who's been there, year in and year out, never complaining, never in trouble of any kind, never suspended, never getting upset on the sidelines, etc.? It's Witten. His teammates and most of the fans love him for what he's done. You don't think that after his first years he couldn't have gotten more money from another team? A COMPLETE tight end? Not many of those around. But no, he stayed loyal to the Cowboys. THAT makes someone the "heart and soul" of a team. As one of the sportswriters commented on one of the Cowboys' Super Bowl era teams, regarding Irvin's flamboyance "Don't mistake Micheal's enthusiasm for selfishness, Michael was NEVER selfish". Michael's unselfishness was as big a part of his being the heart and soul of the 90's Cowboys as was his catches and touchdowns.

Same with Witten...

khiladi

Reaction score
As I said, he's been here 15 years. He has nearly every Cowboys receiving record, and with only 6 td catches, and if he gets about his average the last few years, he's have that also.

I would argue about his blocking not being good, etc, though he's never been fast, that's not in dispute ;). And as far as false starts? He had ONE last per http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/dallas-cowboys?year=2017&view=log.

T. Smith had 3. So I guess we need to bench Smith?

But you have to look beyond the stats as well. Who's been there, year in and year out, never complaining, never in trouble of any kind, never suspended, never getting upset on the sidelines, etc.? It's Witten. His teammates and most of the fans love him for what he's done. You don't think that after his first years he couldn't have gotten more money from another team? A COMPLETE tight end? Not many of those around. But no, he stayed loyal to the Cowboys. THAT makes someone the "heart and soul" of a team. As one of the sportswriters commented on one of the Cowboys' Super Bowl era teams, regarding Irvin's flamboyance "Don't mistake Micheal's enthusiasm for selfishness, Michael was NEVER selfish". Michael's unselfishness was as big a part of his being the heart and soul of the 90's Cowboys as was his catches and touchdowns.

Same with Witten...

So basically sentiment... Witten was playing when Romo was hurt a couple years back and we were a disaster... How is that the heart-and-soul? Yeah, as a third-down target to move the chains, he's fine, but we need more from the tight-end spot. Of course part of that is the guy throwing him the ball, but he's hardly a threat downfield consistently anymore.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If you're sad Dez is gone, I understand, he certainly was a talent.

But your're lashing out at Jason who had nothing to do with Dez's leaving, if anybody's to blame for Dez leaving it's Jerry, Stephen and Jason....

jay94

Reaction score
At this point it was a very bad move, our team got weaker, we now have a 100% bottom five receiving core in the league.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Football is a business, favourite players will come and go, that is just the nature of the game. I wish him well wherever he ends up, but its not the end of the world.

Nah. I will never forgive Jerry and co. for cutting DeMarcus Ware, either.

jay94

Reaction score
Its business it's not personal, rarely do players go out on their own terms, they either retire due to injuries or are cut, it's the nature of the game.

I agree with this 100%, but because of his salary implications this was a bad move. I just hope after another mediocre season Garret is finally gone.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The heart and soul is gone. This is a sick nightmare.

I hear you. Although I think it was a necessary move, I like the kid. When he was at his best he was a monster. Hope he does well at his next stop.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
At this point it was a very bad move, our team got weaker, we now have a 100% bottom five receiving core in the league.

Won't know until the season starts, Hurns and Thompson are unknowns at this time. Dez was a problem, distraction-wise, Micheal Irvin just came out and said Dez was fighting people who were trying to help him, if Dez wasn't a distraction I think Jerry would have found some way to keep him, either a salary cut or re-structure. The money was the main thing, but if they felt Dez was able to return to his 2013-14 type performance, that could probably have been worked out. Dez himself has griped about "Garrett guys" and "C people (captains) being partly responsible for his departure, does that sound like a guy who wasn't having problems within the team? One of the captains was Dan Bailey, who has nothing to do with the passing game.

Hurns and Thompson aren't known for being distractions, just removing distractions can be of benefit.

Though I don't see the other receivers being "bottom 5", teams like the Jets, Bears, Browns and others are awful...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I agree with this 100%, but because of his salary implications this was a bad move. I just hope after another mediocre season Garret is finally gone.

It took 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons for Jerry to let Campo go, Jason had two seasons at 12-4 and 13-3 and a playoff win, not saying that's good enough, but just based on history if you're waiting for Garrett to be gone, you're in for a long wait, imo...