I'm losing my excitement for the game

blueblood70

Reaction score
at the end of every failed season IE no NFCG or SB, im sure a lot of us feel this way, and yes RG is taking football out of football and if it keeps going this route the league will suffer.. flag football anyone? NO!

Im sure if that happened they would modify the rules back to the way it was but that CTE scandal forced them to at least publicly look like they were trying to help players post career..

the rules I absolutely dont like is the low hit on the QB deal and some of the helmet to helmet and targeting rules..they need to better judge these on angles and how the ball carriers are dipping and falling and what is incidental and what is actually a guy trying to hurt someone..too many times flags are thrown for accidental or incidental contact, it happens , let it go..

Hayseed

Reaction score
@Hayseed ....are you the same "hayseed" from the old dc.com forums?

Nope,.... been around forever under different names on several different boards but never on that one. More recently was a member of Hostile's board for 4-5 years,..... till he kicked me out that is! We just didnt see eye to eye on things is all and Im not one to Kowtow to anyone. In fact,... quite the opposite most of the time :muttley:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Like 20+ years of top five picks.....

Exactly, they're a prime example of a team that doesn't need to be in the NFL. It's why I like the Japanese X-League system of football. In the Japanese X League, the worst team gets relegated to the X2 League, and the best team from the league under them gets promoted to the X1 League. Why can't we do that in the NFL? If you suck and get the worst record, then the team should be relegated to a weaker league until they can build a better team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Completely agree with free agency.

Teams should be rewarded for drafting well, not penalized. For example-they could modify/replace the franchise tag by allowing teams to sign one of there own players each year at whatever deal they agree to, but only absorb 50% of their true cap hit.

That would be a great replacement for the franchise tag because it would allow us to sign a player like Dak, Zeke, or Z Martin long term if we realize that negotiations are stalling.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Exactly, they're a prime example of a team that doesn't need to be in the NFL. It's why I like the Japanese X-League system of football. In the Japanese X League, the worst team gets relegated to the X2 League, and the best team from the league under them gets promoted to the X1 League. Why can't we do that in the NFL? If you suck and get the worst record, then the team should be relegated to a weaker league until they can build a better team.
I love the idea of pro/rel. you could even justify expansion into new markets that way up to 40 or so teams. Teams won’t Tank because they want to stay up, and teams in the middle will have something to strive for as well.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I love the idea of pro/rel. you could even justify expansion into new markets that way up to 40 or so teams.

Exactly, instead of just relocating a bunch of teams, why not just have a second tier league that's still connected to the NFL? Like, I don't know, maybe the AFL (just throwing it out there). Have teams placed in San Diego, Honolulu, St. Louis, San Antonio, London, Tokyo, and other such cities that either once had a team or could potentially field a team. If you're the best team from that league, then, by all means, welcome aboard. Oh, and if you get promoted to the NFL, then you get the first pick of the draft, and the second tier league drafts after the NFL draft. Thus, tanking is completely removed from football. If you tank trying to get the first overall pick, forget about it. You'll end up screwing yourself even worse than playing to win the game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.

Well said. And they brought in the cap and free agency in the 90s right when the Cowboys had finally built another great team. I remember the anger I felt at seeing our great players poached away. It wasn't like that in the 70s. If you drafted a great player, he was usually with the team his whole career.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Plus, could you imagine the entertainment of seeing two teams battling to stay in the NFL? Part of the reason European football/soccer is so entertaining is because the 3 worst teams in the EPL get relegated to a lower level, and the lower tier league gets the three best teams promoted. I'm not saying you have to cut 3 teams in the NFL, but you can at least start by cutting 1 team and having the champion of the 2nd tier league promoted to the NFL like they do in Japan. Like I said, THAT will get football more entertaining because teams will have to fight harder to stay in the league.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Exactly, instead of just relocating a bunch of teams, why not just have a second tier league that's still connected to the NFL? Like, I don't know, maybe the AFL (just throwing it out there). Have teams placed in San Diego, Honolulu, St. Louis, San Antonio, London, Tokyo, and other such cities that either once had a team or could potentially field a team. If you're the best team from that league, then, by all means, welcome aboard. Oh, and if you get promoted to the NFL, then you get the first pick of the draft, and the second tier league drafts after the NFL draft. Thus, tanking is completely removed from football. If you tank trying to get the first overall pick, forget about it. You'll end up screwing yourself even worse than playing to win the game.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

tenor.gif

MistyAnn

Reaction score
Well said. And they brought in the cap and free agency in the 90s right when the Cowboys had finally built another great team. I remember the anger I felt at seeing our great players poached away. It wasn't like that in the 70s. If you drafted a great player, he was usually with the team his whole career.
Yes, the whole "where have all the Cowboy's gone to" K. Norten Jr., I remember a lot of great Cowboy players, playing for other teams. It felt sad back then but I am used to it now. Excitement doesn't wane though when you hear the current Cowboys being introduced on game day.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
And that sucks! Been the most diehard fan of the Cowboys and the NFL in general for almost 45 years now. The excitement just isnt there anymore, at least not like it was. Nothing the Cowboys really did either, more just the state of the league. Free agency and the cap REALLY hurt the game worse than any of some of the younger fans will ever know. It takes years to build a championship caliber team, and one offseason to tear it down because you cant get under the cap.

So lemme get this straight.......You spend a few years really knocking it out of the park come draft day, really doing it right,....and your reward for doing a great job is to sit back and watch half your players leave because you cant pay all the big name players you were smart enuff to draft and groom and still be under the cap. REALLY? By the same token,.... you spend years drafting a bunch of worthless BUMS and your reward is having plenty of money to sign as many talented players as you want away from the teams who were proficient at their job. REALLY? The NFL is actually penalizing excellence and rewarding failure......... NOT GOOD.

Other thing is all the rule changes. D.B's are pretty much defenseless nowadays. You touch someone....... penalty. All to promote passing. The game doesnt even resemble the great game I grew up loving.

Goodell and his crap and unfair treatment of our team. Its just too much anymore.

Players SOOOO STUPID that they cant stop stepping on their own johnsons and getting suspended all the time. Its just on and on and on.

I'll always be a big fan,... but it will NEVER be what it once was. Real shame too.
oh..

its just off season.

If you follow the NFL..

it is not an Immediate Satisfaction League (ISL)

unless you follow the Pats.

then your ticket stays punched for winning

back when I became a fan in 1965..

this team was poor to bad.

Then it took Landry time to get things installed like Multi formations..

the Landry Hitch

Men in motion

you know.

SO you need to quit looking at the old days with longing and just enjoy it.

If not..

there is Women's Nude Volleyball on your cable box somewhere.

:lmao2:

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
That would be a great replacement for the franchise tag because it would allow us to sign a player like Dak, Zeke, or Z Martin long term if we realize that negotiations are stalling.

Why should teams lose players they draft because they are productive? It’s nonsense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Doubt that any true fan of the NFL would give two craps about a Japanese football league.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Hate when old people cry because things aren’t the exact same as “back in my day”....the league is fine and no one is out to get the cowboys.
I don’t consider myself old, but I do respect what older people have to say. It’s called experience. You live life. You see things and you learn things. You sound like a 16 year old who thinks he knows it all.