I'm not convinced about Marcus Coleman....

juck

Reaction score
his numbers have dropped off considerably since he had a good season in 2003.he's a bit old too,whats the point,I say draft one.

sago1

Reaction score
Cowboys would have signed him if we had been interested in him. In fact even before FA, most of us thought Parcells would load up on former Jet players who just cut; but all we ended up with was Fabini. Seems very likely we drafting FS in early rounds & not bothering with any FAs at this time.

Same might be true re Sowell. We either like Polite or we drafting FB in latter rounds-sure would like Bernstein.

BTW: I think not signing either Sowell or Coleman result of the MRS which going around in NFL. MRS is the Marco Riveria Syndrome which means when you sign a vet player, he stands get chance to get hurt & not pay dividends desired, so let's sign younger FAs and that is exactly what happening in FA. FAs getting the big bucks are younger (under 30) while older players (Ty Law) finding the money has dried up for them. Probably also holds true for Sowell & Coleman; Fabini got signed but cheaply.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
We can get a good FS in the 2nd round, but the problem with that is if we stick him out their right away he is going to make a ton of rookie mistakes. It looks more and more like Keith Davis will once again be our FS next year, because we HAVE to fill in some of the other holes like our entire O-line

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think any pickups like Sowel, etc will come late in FA.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
apparently we haven't signed him because of his problems in Houston. Palmer was in Houston, and there were problems with his attitude and his work ethic.

I remember when we didn't get earl little despite the fact that we got Todd Bowles. Apparently there was problems there. And the problems between Todd Haley and David terrell. Otherwise we probably would have made a move to reunite Terrell and Henson. We even brought in the a-train. Instead Terrell went to New England with Brady, and bombed out. Then he joined the receiver carousell in Denver.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Cowboys would have signed him if we had been interested in him. In fact even before FA, most of us thought Parcells would load up on former Jet players who just cut; but all we ended up with was Fabini. Seems very likely we drafting FS in early rounds & not bothering with any FAs at this time.

Same might be true re Sowell. We either like Polite or we drafting FB in latter rounds-sure would like Bernstein.

BTW: I think not signing either Sowell or Coleman result of the MRS which going around in NFL. MRS is the Marco Riveria Syndrome which means when you sign a vet player, he stands get chance to get hurt & not pay dividends desired, so let's sign younger FAs and that is exactly what happening in FA. FAs getting the big bucks are younger (under 30) while older players (Ty Law) finding the money has dried up for them. Probably also holds true for Sowell & Coleman; Fabini got signed but cheaply.

actually we had our eyes on glenn for about 1 month before we signed him in LATE April (4/26 i think) so i mean Coleman is old 2, his price will keep going down and down the longer we wait and as hes a good friend of Glenn's and adds Veteran Presence into our Young secondary, anchored by 5th year player Roy Williams.

We are most likely going to draft a FS in the 1st or 2nd round depending on how everything falls for us. and there is no doubt about the fact that Coleman is old and his #'s are dropping, but what do you do when your Rookie FS tears his ACL? What do you do if your Rookie FS comes into the NFL and does not adjust to the new level of game? This is where coleman is a very important element as he adds depth, veteran presence in a young secondary, for that matter a young Defense. and everybody knows how good he is, which is in the lower 50% of FS around the NFL.

As for Sowell he is 29 or 30 i think not exactly sure, but he also provides veteran presence in a young backfield (jones = oldest at 3 years). Lousaka Polite is young and smart from BP's prespective and he likes him, but against last year he was our only FB, hell spears came in and blocked in goal line sets a number of times. so adding Sowell not only improves our backfield but it adds experience and depth.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to reach that far for a safety.

And I don't really see us going after players like Sowell until all of our needs are met. If you look at all of the players we've signed they've been signed for dire needs and dire depth whether on the oline, at receiver, or at linebacker.

We released La'Roi Glover, and never even batted an eyelash. Had no intention of resigning him, and simply let him go get signed as early as possible. We didn't do that for Keyshawn OR Larry Allen. Which tells me that we were at least contemplating our options there. I'm guessing Larry Allen came out and asked to be released, or negotiations on restructuring broke down.

I think we'd still like to resign keyshawn. Just because we have Owens, doesn't mean Glenn is going to be healthy all year. And I think signing owens had nothing to do with Keyshawn. Albeit we would have paid him if Owens wasn't released.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Free Safety is probably going to be one of the easiest positions to transition to in the nfl. You're doing the exact same thing you did in college. Its not like playing linebacker or cornerback.

I think its more about having the right instincts than anything else. You either know what you're doing or you don't.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It appears the writing is on the wall.

He isn't visiting anywhere. And there are a handful of safeties just like him available.

We either have decided we can afford to wait it out and get him cheap or we might have got something from Chris Palmer that he simply isn't worth the trouble.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I hear he is really close with Bowles, Parcells, and Glenn though. So I honestly don't know.

Palmer must really not have liked this guy.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I'm fine with Coleman and I imagine we would be too for a minimum salary. We'll still bring a young guy in to try and beat him out.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Coleman has not been signed because nobody else has showed interest, and BP and JJ know this. basically the longer we wait the cheaper he gets, he will be signed just for insurance at the FS position because if our rookie isnt proven or gets injured it goes to Keith Davis and that takes away from our Special Teams and come on who wants to see Beriault (6th round pick) in there? i havent seen him play to much but i mean id rather have Coleman for insurance than havin to go the other route . . .

For our FB we need depth, at every position. why not spend some of our 14.58 million on a experienced fullback to compliment Lousaka, Hannam and Witten? we could use the help and he will come really cheap.

Reaction score
juckie said:
his numbers have dropped off considerably since he had a good season in 2003.he's a bit old too,whats the point,I say draft one.

I'll continue to say it...draft JIMMY WILLIAMS!! The guy is extremely athletic with experience playing both FS and CB!! Talk about added value!

joseephuss

Reaction score
juckie said:

In 2003 he played corner back. In 2004 and 2005 he played safety. Maybe that has something to do with his numbers. Plus it was Houston and their entire defense got worse.

I don't think Coleman is a long term solution. Most people understand that. He could be good insurance if Dallas can't find a good safety in the draft. Even if they do draft a good safety, he could still be good to have around. He isn't going to cost much at all especially the longer he goes unsigned. There should be no rush to sign him, but it won't be a bad thing if he ends up as a back up in Dallas.