I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

After had some time to think about the Mike McCarthy situation and do some research (including hearing some interesting things about Andy Reid on the Pat McAfee Show), I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying. Firstly, and I did not know this until it was mentioned on the show, Mike actually has a similar record to other well respected coaches. This is in the tweet above.

Secondly, they mentioned about how sometimes, it can take time for a coach to have his message settle and playoff collapses happen. Chuck Pagano, who used to coach the Colts and does segments on the PMS pointed out about how even Andy Reid had questions after a few years when he started there. I'm sure many of you who want Mike out would take Andy Reid in a heartbeat. Don't forget, his first year with the Chiefs, they blew a 38-10 lead early in the 3rd Quarter (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season) following an 11-5 record. I'd imagine some here would probably have wanted the seat to be hot for Reid if this happened here. His next season was a 9-7 record where they completely missed the playoffs. Following this, they went 11-5 and lost in the division round. Then they were 12-4 as the first seed (2016) and choked losing to the Steelers 18-16. By this point, you would have seen fans here screaming for Reid out. Oh, but then they go 1 and done AGAIN in 2017 losing to the Titans. Now, tbf, they had just drafted Mahomes that year, but the point remains. The fanbase here would have rioted had Andy Reid stayed past the 2016 season (and let's be honest, Mahomes was a bit of an unknown in 2017 when he was drafted). So, Pagano, as he explained that, pointed out how the Chiefs patience with Reid (along with getting Mahomes) paid off.

I don't know what the FO is going to do with Dak. I could see one of four things happening. One they extend Dak and intend to keep him here longer term and do nothing else at QB in the draft. Perhaps seeing if Mike's message is getting through to Dak a bit more. Afterall, this regular season was Dak's best yet. I know we want playoff success, but this is something to go on that I can see.

Two, they could extend Dak with the intention of using a June 1 cut on him at a later time to then draft his replacement. This, I think, may be the most likely move. Some of the younger QBs coming into the draft the next few years do look enticing. The next few drafts, including this one, could be very good with QB. Given what Mike was able to do to improve Dak, perhaps we can get a younger QB in to wait behind Dak knowing that he'll have about two or three years to grow in the McCarthy system. You don't just sack a coach who has had an impact on improving your QB. Especially one that has experience in developing QBs. So, I could see a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation happening where Dak, like Rodgers, is allowed to stay a bit longer while they develop a QB taken in round 1. Then, when the time is right, use the June 1 option to let the QB take over completely. I know many here want instant results, but this would actually be my favourite of the options that I see happening. This means that we could have the QB of the future enter the roster this year, while giving them time to develop.

Three, Dak gets a June 1 cut, this is an extreme option, but it could be used if they have a QB right now that they like. However, they'd be basically hoping that QB is immediately what Mahomes is now. Bear in mind, Mahomes did need a bit of development. So, I'm not sure if this is done, but this is a risky move.

Four, the Cowboys do nothing with Dak's contract. Highly doubt this happens given the contract impacts this season with the cap.

So, to boil down what I'm saying here, I'm fine with keeping Mike for now. I know the collapse was bad, but every coach has moments where the team collapses. Maybe, by being Jerry being patient, it can warrant success, as it has with other top coaches. I think the Cowboys next move should be to draft a QB this year to see if we can get a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation brewing. Especially given Mike's ability to develop a QB. If this is done, who knows where the team goes from there, and we might be thankful that Jerry actually was patient with Mike. So, given this, I am fine with Mike staying.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Mike's ability to develop a QB?? LOL...you gotta be trolling. Dude stinks at playcalling, has no in game awareness, can't adjust, and looks constipated and lost most of the time, and can't get his players up for a playoff game. He's here because he is a walk-a-bout coach.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks McCarthy is on the same level as Payton or Tomlin due to career record ought to shut up about bringing him back.

Which is it?

Look what Payton did by will alone with that awful Denver mess this year and tell me Mike McCarthy could have done that.

Absurd.

McCarthy is there because he lets Jerry be Jerry, and that’s what Jerry wants….and he knows damn well the pathetic bunch will be cheering his name in Oxnard in six short months.

JustChip

Reaction score

After had some time to think about the Mike McCarthy situation and do some research (including hearing some interesting things about Andy Reid on the Pat McAfee Show), I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying. Firstly, and I did not know this until it was mentioned on the show, Mike actually has a similar record to other well respected coaches. This is in the tweet above.

Secondly, they mentioned about how sometimes, it can take time for a coach to have his message settle and playoff collapses happen. Chuck Pagano, who used to coach the Colts and does segments on the PMS pointed out about how even Andy Reid had questions after a few years when he started there. I'm sure many of you who want Mike out would take Andy Reid in a heartbeat. Don't forget, his first year with the Chiefs, they blew a 38-10 lead early in the 3rd Quarter (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Kansas_City_Chiefs_season) following an 11-5 record. I'd imagine some here would probably have wanted the seat to be hot for Reid if this happened here. His next season was a 9-7 record where they completely missed the playoffs. Following this, they went 11-5 and lost in the division round. Then they were 12-4 as the first seed (2016) and choked losing to the Steelers 18-16. By this point, you would have seen fans here screaming for Reid out. Oh, but then they go 1 and done AGAIN in 2017 losing to the Titans. Now, tbf, they had just drafted Mahomes that year, but the point remains. The fanbase here would have rioted had Andy Reid stayed past the 2016 season (and let's be honest, Mahomes was a bit of an unknown in 2017 when he was drafted). So, Pagano, as he explained that, pointed out how the Chiefs patience with Reid (along with getting Mahomes) paid off.

I don't know what the FO is going to do with Dak. I could see one of four things happening. One they extend Dak and intend to keep him here longer term and do nothing else at QB in the draft. Perhaps seeing if Mike's message is getting through to Dak a bit more. Afterall, this regular season was Dak's best yet. I know we want playoff success, but this is something to go on that I can see.

Two, they could extend Dak with the intention of using a June 1 cut on him at a later time to then draft his replacement. This, I think, may be the most likely move. Some of the younger QBs coming into the draft the next few years do look enticing. The next few drafts, including this one, could be very good with QB. Given what Mike was able to do to improve Dak, perhaps we can get a younger QB in to wait behind Dak knowing that he'll have about two or three years to grow in the McCarthy system. You don't just sack a coach who has had an impact on improving your QB. Especially one that has experience in developing QBs. So, I could see a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation happening where Dak, like Rodgers, is allowed to stay a bit longer while they develop a QB taken in round 1. Then, when the time is right, use the June 1 option to let the QB take over completely. I know many here want instant results, but this would actually be my favourite of the options that I see happening. This means that we could have the QB of the future enter the roster this year, while giving them time to develop.

Three, Dak gets a June 1 cut, this is an extreme option, but it could be used if they have a QB right now that they like. However, they'd be basically hoping that QB is immediately what Mahomes is now. Bear in mind, Mahomes did need a bit of development. So, I'm not sure if this is done, but this is a risky move.

Four, the Cowboys do nothing with Dak's contract. Highly doubt this happens given the contract impacts this season with the cap.

So, to boil down what I'm saying here, I'm fine with keeping Mike for now. I know the collapse was bad, but every coach has moments where the team collapses. Maybe, by being Jerry being patient, it can warrant success, as it has with other top coaches. I think the Cowboys next move should be to draft a QB this year to see if we can get a Mahomes or Jordan Love situation brewing. Especially given Mike's ability to develop a QB. If this is done, who knows where the team goes from there, and we might be thankful that Jerry actually was patient with Mike. So, given this, I am fine with Mike staying.

Good write up.

Dak is going to get extended. That was the predetermined when they signed him to that contract. And I’m ok with that as long as it doesn’t have a no-trade clause.

A no-trade clause for all intents prevents them from doing what the Chiefs did with Smith & Mahomes.

rambo2

Reaction score
Mike's ability to develop a QB?? LOL...you gotta be trolling. Dude stinks at playcalling, has no in game awareness, can't adjust, and looks constipated and lost most of the time, and can't get his players up for a playoff game. He's here because he is a walk-a-bout coach.
Didn't they lead the league in scoring? Dak led the league in td passes and made all pro.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It’s basically if they realize they need to build the trenches on both sides. OG and DT and LB along with a side car of a physical RB.

When we had a crap show of a Defense then I knew Quinn would not get the offers at HC he would have if they had played well. Everyone knows what happened in the sb with him at HC. Blew a huge lead. I am wondering about the playcalling and clock management this season. Are they running it all back again..

Bigrandrn

Reaction score

But the glaring thing (as seen last Sunday) that is missing is cultural……fight, drive, preparation, adjustments, inspiration, alpha dog mindset, discipline, intolerance of losing……those are cultural and personality things, and I don’t see those changing with McCarthy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Big Mike is the best coach we've had since Parcells. And he still sucks. That's the reality of the Dallas Cowboys.
We got a better yes man. Take play calling and or clock management away from him. I would extend Dak with out the no trade clause. Let him call his own plays.

Put them both on the hot seat.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks McCarthy is on the same level as Payton or Tomlin due to career record ought to shut up about bringing him back.

Which is it?

Look what Payton did by will alone with that awful Denver mess this year and tell me Mike McCarthy could have done that.

Absurd.

McCarthy is there because he lets Jerry be Jerry, and that’s what Jerry wants….and he knows damn well the pathetic bunch will be cheering his name in Oxnard in six short months.

Man that will of Sean Payton to lose 3 out of his final 4 games in the middle of a playoff race - while simultaneously having that will and message be delivered to the tune of giving up 70 points to the dolphins we held to 22 all the while guiding his team to 8 wins.

I wish we could bottle that will up lol…Paytons a good coach so is Mike.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Look how Dak played this season compared to with Kellen Moore. I saw improvement in him. I could see him getting developed further next year, and, if we draft another QB to develop like the Packers did with Rodgers and Love and like the Chiefs did with Mahomes, it would make even more sense why this move is being done.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Sean Payton blasphemy (which is actually true) won't be tolerated by some here. :popcorn:

And similarly with John Harbaugh and Tomlin, I'd imagine. I think the biggest thing now is draft the QB of the future. See if we can develop that QB to be a Patrick Mahomes or a Jordan Love.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But the glaring thing (as seen last Sunday) that is missing is cultural……fight, drive, preparation, adjustments, inspiration, alpha dog mindset, discipline, intolerance of losing……those are cultural and personality things, and I don’t see those changing with McCarthy.

I am aware of that. However, I do think that this move is okay. Plus, that culture is probably more with Jerry. However, I can see benefit from this if they draft a QB this year.