I'm okay with Mike McCarthy staying

Rayman70

Reaction score
That GB loss was the worst tactical coaching loss I have seen in my decades of watching the NFL.

If it was a complete one off than maybe you give him a pass but after SF and Buffalo this year and the two SF defeats in the playoffs, this is a clear pattern. Add in the fact that this is the kind of stuff that got him fired from Green Bay and there you have it.
well said

CowboysSpursandAstros

Reaction score
Mike has the same record as them with arguably the best QB of all time. What do you think Harbaugh or Payton would have done with an Aaron Rodgers?

I feel Mike is a decent coach, but unless Dak turns into prime Aaron Rodgers, enjoy your second round ceiling.
Payton had Drew Brees, who was all world just like Aaron Rodgers, and he has 1 Super Bowl to show for it, that he won 14 years ago!

CCBoy

Reaction score
The statement from Dallas Cowboys Owner, President and General Manager Jerry Jones following the decision to keep Mike McCarthy as the Cowboys head coach in 2024:

7:20 PM · Jan 17, 2024
·
McCarthy just finished his fourth season with the Cowboys. In the last three seasons, the team has reached the playoffs each year and won just one playoff game. The Cowboys finished with a 12-5 record each year and have won the NFC East twice during that span. The loss last weekend was surprising considering the Packers entered the playoffs as the lowest-seeded team in the conference.

"Our loss on Sunday is shared by everyone here, not just Coach McCarthy," Jones said in Wednesday's statement. "Our players. Our coaches. Our front office. Myself. There is accountability for our results. I am accountable for our results. The lens we use to view and evaluate Coach McCarthy is holistic. While we're all disappointed with the result on Sunday and with our playoff record, I am 100 percent supportive of him as our head coach and ability to reach our goals."

https://popculture.com/sports/news/...cision-head-coach-mike-mccarthy-playoff-loss/

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Look how Dak played this season compared to with Kellen Moore. I saw improvement in him. I could see him getting developed further next year, and, if we draft another QB to develop like the Packers did with Rodgers and Love and like the Chiefs did with Mahomes, it would make even more sense why this move is being done.
Dak played better because they dumbed things down for him. ANY coach can do that. And even that isn't going to work when you up against good teams.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Mike has the same record as them with arguably the best QB of all time. What do you think Harbaugh or Payton would have done with an Aaron Rodgers?

I feel Mike is a decent coach, but unless Dak turns into prime Aaron Rodgers, enjoy your second round ceiling.

I'll counter it this way. He's sneakily similar to Andy Reid, who spend a lot of time with Philly (from 1999-2012) and has been with KC for a while (2013-present). If you look at Reid from 2013-2017 and you look at McCarthy, it's similar. I showed it to one of my roommates who is a Chiefs fan. The offense that Reid ran with Alex Smith was similar to the offense that Mike runs with Dak. Here's a highlight video of the Chiefs from 2016 (when they were the one seed and were one and done) from week 1 that year against the Chargers

Now, here's our game week 4 this year against the Pats:

If you watch the offenses, they're not terribly different. Partly because Reid and McCarthy are from a similar WCO tree (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Walsh_(American_football_coach)). So, my argument is that, we are similar to the Alex Smith-era Chiefs. What we need is a QB that McCarthy can train like Reid did with Mahomes. If he falls to us like he should, I think Michael Pennix is that player. I think with a year or two sitting like Mahomes, Mike can develop him in a similar way (I'm not saying he's Mahomes, but the coaching can be somewhat similar). So, that's why I say that we should be able to extend Dak for the cap savings, either make it a 3 year deal and/or make it a deal where by about years 2 or 3 (if it's longer) we have an out in case the starter is ready. Make it clear to him that we are likely drafting his replacement this year to train for when the time is right. Then, proceed with the plan.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dak played better because they dumbed things down for him. ANY coach can do that. And even that isn't going to work when you up against good teams.

Because Dak is similar to Donovan McNabb to where Mike did that. We are currently, as I responded to another poster, similar to the Alex Smith-era Chiefs. What we need to do is to draft a QB like Pennix in round 1 and try to do with him what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree with this proven formula 100%.

Exactly, and I think Michael Pennix is going to be there when we are picking. If he is, we should take him. Right now, we are the Alex Smith-era Chiefs. As they proved, you don't have to tank to rebuild. We have a very similar team if used properly. Ferguson reminds me a lot of Kelce. Our receiving group kinda looks like what the Chiefs had. If Mike wants to be a bit more creative, we could use Turpin similarly to how the Chiefs used Tyreek Hill. I mean, if we wanted to, we could use a similar formula to the Chiefs, but we need a QB that kinda fits the Mahomes mold. I think that QB is probably Pennix. If Mike sees the similarities that I do, then this is the move to make.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That GB loss was the worst tactical coaching loss I have seen in my decades of watching the NFL.

If it was a complete one off than maybe you give him a pass but after SF and Buffalo this year and the two SF defeats in the playoffs, this is a clear pattern. Add in the fact that this is the kind of stuff that got him fired from Green Bay and there you have it.

The Chiefs in 2016 were the one seed and got beaten (albeit in a close game) by the Steelers and were one and done.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not Lance, but maybe Pennix who should be available where we are picking.
I would not be surprised but doubt it. Let’s see how long Daks extension is. And the specs of it. I think they will go OG because it’s supposed to be heavy in quality O-Line coming out. And we need DT big time. And at some point a RB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I would not be surprised but doubt it. Let’s see how long Daks extension is. And the specs of it. I think they will go OG because it’s supposed to be heavy in quality O-Line coming out. And we need DT big time. And at some point a RB.

Sure, and I could see them putting a priority on oline this year. However, I think they have to go QB either this year or next year round one. Both QB classes are very good. If they want to go QB next year, that's fine. Then they need to have an out year 3 (assuming that year one would be this season) to allow them to cut or trade him when the potential replacement would be ready.

Asklesko

Reaction score
If you buy into McCarthy's malarkey, you are the reason we can't have nice things.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sure, and I could see them putting a priority on oline this year. However, I think they have to go QB either this year or next year round one. Both QB classes are very good. If they want to go QB next year, that's fine. Then they need to have an out year 3 (assuming that year one would be this season) to allow them to cut or trade him when the potential replacement would be ready.
Well someone did a great job evaluating QB talent. We got Dak late round. Dak is a very good QB. But he just needs a lot around him to succeed. If he can’t do it this season then they may have to look around. I would grab a later round QB this season and if we need to a 1st rounder next year, we may have to give up a bunch to move up. I can see egirls going qb next year if hurts don’t perform.

Honestly if our Defense showed up we would have won.

Cmac

Reaction score
He is easily the best one we've had since Parcells, and he is able to navigate the working with Jerry. That's a plus. Now, maybe if he can get Jerry to choose a QB, I'd be thrilled.
.....but what about the other messes with this team? You good?

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
My biggest problem with Mike is the thing he's supposed to be good at: OC. Against good teams, it was clear our offense wasn't good enough. It was also clear throughout the year that Dak made the offense look better than it was. When you compare his bizarre gameplan for the playoff loss vs Lafleur, it's painfully evident that the game is passing him by.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well someone did a great job evaluating QB talent. We got Dak late round. Dak is a very good QB. But he just needs a lot around him to succeed. If he can’t do it this season then they may have to look around. I would grab a later round QB this season and if we need to a 1st rounder next year, we may have to give up a bunch to move up. I can see egirls going qb next year if hurts don’t perform.

Honestly if our Defense showed up we would have won.

Not necessarily. Depending on who falls to us, we might end up with a quality first round QB. Bear in mind, Lamar Jackson was a later first round pick and is arguably the best of his draft class. We could find someone in round one either this year or next.