I'm Shocked No One Claimed Josh Ball

McMicah

Reaction score
You can can me crazy, or lean on your previous evaluations of the guy, but I watched every preseason snap for each lineman. Ball, Guyton, and Richards were all top tier performers on the line. Beene came on strong game 2/3, but those three were consistently outstanding. I heard he got really good PFF grades which also tracks.

He’s not a very good tackle but neither are Edoga or Walrtzko, and he is a really good guard. He was better than Bass and Hoffman easily.

If Martin went down, he’d be my first choice to step in. I wonder why the FO was so confident he would clear waivers

_sturt_

Reaction score
You can can me crazy, or lean on your previous evaluations of the guy, but I watched every preseason snap for each lineman. Ball, Guyton, and Richards were all top tier performers on the line. Beene came on strong game 2/3, but those three were consistently outstanding. I heard he got really good PFF grades which also tracks.

He’s not a very good tackle but neither are Edoga or Walrtzko, and he is a really good guard. He was better than Bass and Hoffman easily.

If Martin went down, he’d be my first choice to step in. I wonder why the FO was so confident he would clear waivers
Actually, he didn't have to clear waivers... he's a vet so he was instantly available.

But again, because he's a vet, other teams have to consider first their own vets--you only get 6 slots for those, and the other 10 have to go to players who haven't yet accumulated 3 years service.

I don't call you crazy at all, except to say that when he had to play LT vs. the Raiders, he handled it just fine... and that other than a very brief few plays last preseason at RT before going down with injury (again, vs. Raiders), we've not seen Ball play any tackle since 2022... so if one actually believes young players are capable of developing, it's quite possible that he's not so bad at OT either.

Waletzko? I was very surprised. I was focusing on him vs. Raiders, and yes, he had some good plays, but at OT, even your worst plays need to be meh. After the game, I heard a lot of attaboys for how he dealt with Raiders starters, but the truth was, he got beat bad a handful of times. Maybe he showed up better in the Rams practices and in the Chargers game. I have to think so.

Edoga? Best guess is that they're optimistic he'll be getting back in about a month, so it made no sense to put him on returnable IR and waste that slot in case they need it later.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Every year we overrate our players. Unfortunately so do the Jones Boys. Still has a shot to sign on midseason somewhere, but definitely far removed from the days of “OMG Josh Ball Hidden Talent!!” threads.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Actually, he didn't have to clear waivers... he's a vet so he was instantly available.

But again, because he's a vet, other teams have to consider first their own vets--you only get 6 slots for those, and the other 10 have to go to players who haven't yet accumulated 3 years service.

I don't call you crazy at all, except to say that when he had to play LT vs. the Raiders, he handled it just fine... and that other than a very brief few plays last preseason at RT before going down with injury (again, vs. Raiders), we've not seen Ball play any tackle since 2022... so if one actually believes young players are capable of developing, it's quite possible that he's not so bad at OT either.

Waletzko? I was very surprised. I was focusing on him vs. Raiders, and yes, he had some good plays, but at OT, even your worst plays need to be meh. After the game, I heard a lot of attaboys for how he dealt with Raiders starters, but the truth was, he got beat bad a handful of times. Maybe he showed up better in the Rams practices and in the Chargers game. I have to think so.

Edoga? Best guess is that they're optimistic he'll be getting back in about a month, so it made no sense to put him on returnable IR and waste that slot in case they need it later.
Ball has only completed 3 seasons and is still on his rookie contract. So yes he did go through waivers.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Tells me all I need know
giphy.gif

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I agree Josh Ball has been very good since transitioning to G. My assumption at least from the Cowboys perspective is that he is a G only now, and probably behind TJ Bass who is probably going to have an edge in any competition since he has an extra year of control on his contract.

I'm not as shocked that the Cowboys let him go as I am that no one scooped him up given the state of Oline depth around the league. You'd think he would be worth a flier to someone.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think a big part of it is his player status, which may explain why we kept Waletzko over him.
First, Ball is now primarily a guard, so less valued and easier position to fill than OT.
Second, he is in the final year of his rookie contract, while Waletzko has 2 years left. Even if you keep Ball as emergency depth, 3rd string, it’s a bit late to expect big growth, and are you going to want to give him a veteran contract next year just to be questionable depth.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

All this prove is that you overrate cowboy players.

Creeper

Reaction score

I agree he looked better than Bass this preseason, but I suspect teams are looking for players at other positions to claim. It is still early and if there is an injury, I think we may see him claimed by another team.

McMicah

Reaction score
I agree Josh Ball has been very good since transitioning to G. My assumption at least from the Cowboys perspective is that he is a G only now, and probably behind TJ Bass who is probably going to have an edge in any competition since he has an extra year of control on his contract.

I'm not as shocked that the Cowboys let him go as I am that no one scooped him up given the state of Oline depth around the league. You'd think he would be worth a flier to someone.
This is exactly how I feel. OL across the NFL is so insanely weak and Ball has been playing like he could step in as a starting RG on a weak team. I’m not saying the guys a pro bowler, but he’s a really good guard

gtb1943

Reaction score
When 31 other teams ignore a player at a position known to need decent players across the league, that tells you all you really need to know about how he is viewed.

erod

Reaction score
He's a loose cannon off the field, and his talent isn't enough to take a chance on that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh, does having a decent preseason stretch vs 3rd stringers erase 3 seasons of being injury prone and performing horribly during his chances.
Give him a chance to see. The past is the past. But if another injury. Yeah then move on for sure.