I'm Shocked No One Claimed Josh Ball

McMicah

Reaction score
I mean I don’t condone whatever the dude did (which I’m still unclear on and also got dropped in court?), but has he had any off field issues since pre-draft?

exciter

Reaction score
Give him a chance to see. The past is the past. But if another injury. Yeah then move on for sure.
They gave him a chance on the practice squad. Considering 31 other teams didn’t feel he was worth kicking the can it would seem that chance was more than he should expect!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They gave him a chance on the practice squad. Considering 31 other teams didn’t feel he was worth kicking the can it would seem that chance was more than he should expect!
And not many teams picked up players from any teams PS.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree Josh Ball has been very good since transitioning to G. My assumption at least from the Cowboys perspective is that he is a G only now, and probably behind TJ Bass who is probably going to have an edge in any competition since he has an extra year of control on his contract.

I'm not as shocked that the Cowboys let him go as I am that no one scooped him up given the state of Oline depth around the league. You'd think he would be worth a flier to someone.
Not only Bass, but probably Richards as well, so they have players who can step in at guard who they believe are better than Ball. (I thought Richards was our best guard this preseason.) Not sure they have anyone they trust to step in at right tackle right now other than Waletzko. I'm not a fan of his play there but it's more about needing an RT backup than him being a great one IMO.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What are the actual rules?

If a team claimed him would they need to put him on their 53?

kskboys

Reaction score
Because most teams take the OL seriously have their starters and backups set. Ball is a backup.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
You can can me crazy, or lean on your previous evaluations of the guy, but I watched every preseason snap for each lineman. Ball, Guyton, and Richards were all top tier performers on the line. Beene came on strong game 2/3, but those three were consistently outstanding. I heard he got really good PFF grades which also tracks.

He’s not a very good tackle but neither are Edoga or Walrtzko, and he is a really good guard. He was better than Bass and Hoffman easily.

If Martin went down, he’d be my first choice to step in. I wonder why the FO was so confident he would clear waivers
PFF is already a bit sketchy in terms of their analysis -- particularly with small samples -- Gee, Ball looked alright going against third stringers! Can't imagine why he wasn't snatched up?

McMicah

Reaction score
PFF is already a bit sketchy in terms of their analysis -- particularly with small samples -- Gee, Ball looked alright going against third stringers! Can't imagine why he wasn't snatched up?
He played against the raiders starters and looked good