I'm sorry, but what does "Rue The Day" mean?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2503902 said:
You will rue the day you try to smite me with geography.

I send the ultimate rue your way sir...

rue_l.jpg

Uhhhh, I think that's a violation of the Geneva Conventions, under the section titled "Permissible Rueage"...

Now, you're up the proverbial creek without the proverbial paddle, so it will be difficult to rue your way home...

silverbear

Reaction score
lcharles;2503906 said:
So are you saying we are standing neck deep in "rueage"?

:D

Raw rueage... fetid, steaming rueage...

Or what BP and the other folks in West By Gawd call "lunch"... :D

silverbear

Reaction score
SteveOS;2503941 said:
LOL, sorry about that. I do know what "Rue" means, I guess what I meant to say was, why does everyone seem to use it in a joking manner? Like an inside joke sort of thing, that is flying over my head. Maybe it's just me, but I never say, I will "Rue the day, I went out and got plastered". I'd just say, I'm gonna regret this day. Or, Oh snap, what did I just do to myself. Guess it's a Texas thing, LOL. I'd never use "Rue" sorry, haha.

Yeah, over the years it has become kind of a message board cliche... it is indeed a rather dated way of expressing that sentiment...

I think it became "hip" when it was used in a scene in the movie "Twister"...

silverbear

Reaction score
jazzcat22;2503954 said:
what I want to know is.....why do people say....."PROLLY".....when it should be "PROBABLY".

DEFINATELY!!! Your absolutely right, and you've made a descent point...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;2504528 said:
For you, I will add that. What are friends for?

By the way, who's your next of kin?

If he has any money, I am...

If he doesn't, I never heard of the sum*****...

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
Hostile sorry to bring it up but did anyone else see where he said he preferred carpenter in that thread he posted explaining the origins of rue on this forum.:eek:....serious question now Hos,......do you rue the day you said you prefer carpenter :D

djmajestik

Reaction score
dargonking999;2503867 said:
Some people are actaully nice ya know

Do you have really large fingers or something? Or do you just always wear gloves when perusing the forum? Just asking.....

;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
chip_gilkey;2505340 said:
Hostile sorry to bring it up but did anyone else see where he said he preferred carpenter in that thread he posted explaining the origins of rue on this forum.:eek:....serious question now Hos,......do you rue the day you said you prefer carpenter :D
No, I still very much like Carpenter. I'd like to see him get more playing time, as would anyone else. I don't give up on players just because they aren't starters.

Right now I see him as a capable backup and a decent Special Teams contributor. Until he actually gets a legit shot to play I think it is premature to 86 him. In fact, I won't be shocked if he sticks around and replaces Zach when he hangs 'em up.

Now does that mean I want us to keep him at all costs? No, I don't. If he is not one of the best 8 or 9 LBs on the squad (depends on how many we are keeping) then he needs to go. If we can trade him for a needed component, then he needs to go.

But I am never part of a lynch mob, witch hunt mentality when it comes to dealing with the roster. Take Brad Johnson for instance. I can't stand him. Never could. I did not, and don't want, old dinosaurs as the backup QB. Didn't want Vinny either. The reason I do not make post after post after post about getting rid of him is because there is no one to replace him with.

Some people whine constantly about players they don't like and want gone. I don't. If they aren't playing good enough I will say so, but I don't want anyone off the roster until there is a better option available. I don't believe we can pull someone off the streets or a Practice Squad who will be better than Bobby Carpenter so you won't hear me whining about him. I save that for the people who really know how to whine. Brother can they whine. I sometimes think they are French.