Imagine if you will, it is 1993 and rather than endure a long holdout

plasticman

Reaction score
It is 1993.

Rather than edure a long holdout, the Cowboys have decided to trade Emmirt Smith for future draft picks.

Jerry Jones explains the benefits of the trade while predicting the success of a running game propelled by an elite offensive line. He is confident that the committee of Derrick lassic, Tommy Agee, and Lincoln Coleman will be successful.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys learn that Ken Norton and Charles Haley will be suspended the first four games.The Cowboys are also hit hard on defense when Kevin Smith is lostvfor the season during a minicamp practice.

In the first game,Michael Irvin injures his foot and is out for several games. It will be up to Alvin Harper to step up. In addition, promising young D-lineman Leon Lett will be out for a.month.

In the 2nd game Troy Aikman is hurt and will miss at least 8 games. Wade Wilson must step up. He is backed up by a previously undrafted free agent by the name of Jason Garrett.

---------------------------------------------

Given that the Cowboys lost their first two games without Emmitt Smith, how would the rest of the season proceeded in your opinion?

They barely beat the Cardinals in week #3 17-10, on the strength of Aikman completing 21-27 for 285 yards. Kevin Smith had a critical INT.

The following g week they won thanks to help with 150 yards receiving by Irvin and a 22 yard TD run by Emmitt.

But what if none of those guys were playing?

Wade Wilson played poorly when he had to go in. Would Jason have done better. Could Harper be successful as the go to WR without the best CB concentrating on Michael?

Where would we place the blame?

Jerry for not recognizing Emmitts importance?

Jimmy for not coming up with a better game plan without his offensive and defensive stars?

Emmitt was much better than Murray? Playing devil's advocate, Murray broke Emmitts franchise record.

Michael and Troy more important to the team than Romo and Dez? That's a hard sell.

At least the '93 team had better options at DE but would they make it to the playoffs. It took the most heroic effort in history by a RB in the last game inovertime for the Cowboys to win their division that year.

Would they have a winning season? Could they beat the eagles and Giants. They won three games by 6 or less. Could they have done that without the triplets?

Consider that this team in 1993 won the Super Bowl. The MVP was Emmitt Smith.

I leave you with this quote by Jerry Jones before the 1993 season:

"Emmitt Smith is a luxury not a necessity".

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
It is 1993.

Rather than edure a long holdout, the Cowboys have decided to trade Emmirt Smith for future draft picks.

Jerry Jones explains the benefits of the trade while predicting the success of a running game propelled by an elite offensive line. He is confident that the committee of Derrick lassic, Tommy Agee, and Lincoln Coleman will be successful.

Meanwhile, the Cowboys learn that Ken Norton and Charles Haley will be suspended the first four games.The Cowboys are also hit hard on defense when Kevin Smith is lostvfor the season during a minicamp practice.

In the first game,Michael Irvin injures his foot and is out for several games. It will be up to Alvin Harper to step up. In addition, promising young D-lineman Leon Lett will be out for a.month.

In the 2nd game Troy Aikman is hurt and will miss at least 8 games. Wade Wilson must step up. He is backed up by a previously undrafted free agent by the name of Jason Garrett.

Given that the Cowboys lost their first two games without Emmitt Smith, how would the rest of the season proceeded in your opinion?

They barely beat the Cardinals in week #3 17-10, on the strength of Aikman completing 21-27 for 285 yards. Kevin Smith had a critical INT.

The following g week they won thanks to help with 150 yards receiving by Irvin and a 22 yard TD run by Emmitt.

Wade Wilson played poorly when he had to go in. Would Jason have done better. Could Harper be successful as the go to WR without the best CB concentrating on Michael?

Jimmy for not coming up with a better game plan without his offensive and defensive stars?

Emmitt was much better than Murray? Playing devil's advocate, Murray broke Emmitts franchise record.

Michael and Troy more important to the team than Romo and Dez? That's a hard sell.

At least the '93 team had better options at DE but would they make it to the playoffs. It took the most heroic effort in history by a RB in the last game inovertime for the Cowboys to win their division that year.

Would they have a winning season? Could they beat the eagles and Giants. They won three games by 6 or less. Could they have done that without the triplets?

I was thinking about this exact thing this morning. I would add that even when Irvin comes back he is not 100%.

I think the point is that we have been extremely unlucky this year and even the best of teams would have struggled to get to .500 under the circumstances. We lost our league-leading RB to FA. We lost last years top rated QB for most of the season. Our top 3 WR held out and then never played a full healthy game. Defensively, two of our top play-makers were suspended for four games, our top DT had to play most of the season with a bad shoulder and perhaps worse of all on defense, our #1 CB was lost in training camp.
I know that every team deals with injuries but those injuries hit us in very key spots.

Also gives us hope that with a little more luck in the health department in key spots next year and good young RB we could very competitive again next year.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Pretty good comparison, although the biggest difference is that Darren McFadden is far superior to Derrick Lassic, Tommy Agee, or Lincoln Coleman. But that 1993 team certainly would not have been a Super Bowl champion, so the point is well made.

Zman5

Reaction score
Is this post related to Brandon WeDone's greatness somehow?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Nice work OP. I enjoyed that.

Funny you should mention that time period. Reminds me of something I thought of just lately.

I've been hoping for a chance meeting with Jerry. I'd have some questions for him.

That exact thing did happen to me once...in August 1993, in the press box at Soldier Field during the preseason.

I was there hours before kickoff (I should not have been in there at all, but different story) and alone.

In walks Jerry Jones, alone, to do a radio show via phone. Just us two, in that room. No hellos or anything. I didn't want to rock any boats.

This was during the Emmitt holdout, but I held no resentment toward JJ at that point.

Forward to now, when I would for sure, respectfully, ask Jerry who he most respected as an NFL personnel guy from back when.

Upon him answering, I'd then ask if he would have hired that person to run every part of his oil company in say, 1986.

Id then rest my case, feel satisfied, he'd wonder what the hell I was talking about, and we'd all be right where we are right now.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is 1993.

Very interesting. Somehow I don't think Jimmy would be taking serious heat to the point 90% would be calling for his head.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was thinking about this exact thing this morning. I would add that even when Irvin comes back he is not 100%.

I think the point is that we have been extremely unlucky this year and even the best of teams would have struggled to get to .500 under the circumstances. We lost our league-leading RB to FA. We lost last years top rated QB for most of the season. Our top 3 WR held out and then never played a full healthy game. Defensively, two of our top play-makers were suspended for four games, our top DT had to play most of the season with a bad shoulder and perhaps worse of all on defense, our #1 CB was lost in training camp.
I know that every team deals with injuries but those injuries hit us in very key spots.

Also gives us hope that with a little more luck in the health department in key spots next year and good young RB we could very competitive again next year.

nice post...
but most on here don't want to give into to logical thinking.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jimmy figures out how to win more than one game.....

Then in 1990 why didn't the great Jimmy figure out how to get us in the playoffs....we are at 7-7, after being 3-7....need to beat Philly to get a WC spot. Aikman gets injured, Babe Laufenberg come in, and is horrible, we lose. We go to Atlanta, to play a horrible Falcons team, should win even with a back up QB, any back up QB...Laufenberg goes out and plays one of the worst games in NFL history...a game we should have won, as we had Irvin AND Smith playing....in BOTH games....

JDSmith

Reaction score
I don't think Lincoln Coleman was on the team then. I thought we brought him in from Arena League or something later in the year - some time just before the (Leon Lett) Thanksgiving game - maybe not just before, but not very long before that. I don't recall him being on the team to start the season, but I could be wrong, it's been quite a while.

Other than that I thought it was a very solid post. Well thought out and logical IMO.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Lincoln Coleman was on the team then. I thought we brought him in from Arena League or something later in the year - some time just before the (Leon Lett) Thanksgiving game - maybe not just before, but not very long before that. I don't recall him being on the team to start the season, but I could be wrong, it's been quite a while.

Other than that I thought it was a very solid post. Well thought out and logical IMO.

I believe you are right, he was signed later on.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ColeLi00/gamelog/1993/

His first game was in November of that year. But no carries.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I know it's very, very early in the game but I'm going to go head and call the OP the winner of Best Post 2016.

BoysFanInAustin

Reaction score

Also, Wade Wilson didn't join Dallas until 1995. In 1993, Dallas signed Hugh Millen from New England to backup Aikman, after Beuerlein left to be a starter with the Phoenix Cardinals. Millen was so bad in preseason that Jimmy demoted Millen to 3rd string and had Jason Garrett as the backup for Aikman for the first 8 games. Aikman pulls his hamstring against the Giants in early November, and Garrett finished the game. That led to Jimmy signing his old college QB, Bernie Kosar who had been released by the Browns a week earlier, which led to Dallas cutting Millen, and Garrett started against the Cardinals the following week and was immediately benched for Kosar who ended up winning the game and started the following week vs a bad Atlanta team and Dallas got blasted 27-14. Emmitt also injured his quad which led to the emergence of Lincoln Coleman vs Miami on Thanksgiving.