CFZ IMO-The key player for a Cowboys win

tunahelper

Reaction score
It’s Tony Pollard. Not replacing Zeke or any of his carries, but actually being on the field at the same time as Zeke. As a slot receiver and occasional runner, and a guy being moved around like a pawn on a chessboard. Tony Pollard should be shown to the Bucs defense in multiple looks and roles.

And by the way, by using Pollard alongside Zeke wont hurt Zeke- it will help him! It may actually open some running opportunities for Zeke and also some opportunities catching the ball out the backfield. With our OL on shaky ground Sun night, I wouldn’t expect a traditional brand of a “power running game” coupled with a traditional drop back passing game.

So, with that in mind- Here’s how I hope we see Pollard Sunday night:
  • Starting along with Zeke - but as a slot receiver.
  • Getting 5-7 receiving targets, and at least 8-10 carries; a total of 12-15 touches.
  • Getting at least 40 offensive snaps.
We all know Cedee Lamb and Noah Brown will start at WR- and Rookie Jalen Tolbert. Although Tolbert has big upside, I don’t think he should get more than a few snaps. Devante Turpin and Dennis Houston will probably also get some snaps. Tony Pollard should be getting more snaps as a slot receiver than Tolbert because he’s a better option NOW.

Who knows what Kellen Moore does Sunday night. But I will be surprised and disappointed if Tony Pollard is not a major player. He may be the wild card on offense.
Move Pollard pre-snap a lot as well. This will make the defense commit and help Dak read the coverage.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
It’s Tony Pollard. Not replacing Zeke or any of his carries, but actually being on the field at the same time as Zeke. As a slot receiver and occasional runner, and a guy being moved around like a pawn on a chessboard. Tony Pollard should be shown to the Bucs defense in multiple looks and roles.

And by the way, by using Pollard alongside Zeke wont hurt Zeke- it will help him! It may actually open some running opportunities for Zeke and also some opportunities catching the ball out the backfield. With our OL on shaky ground Sun night, I wouldn’t expect a traditional brand of a “power running game” coupled with a traditional drop back passing game.

• Getting 5-7 receiving targets, and at least 8-10 carries; a total of 12-15 touches.
We all know Cedee Lamb and Noah Brown will start at WR- and Rookie Jalen Tolbert. Although Tolbert has big upside, I don’t think he should get more than a few snaps. Devante Turpin and Dennis Houston will probably also get some snaps. Tony Pollard should be getting more snaps as a slot receiver than Tolbert because he’s a better option NOW.

Who knows what Kellen Moore does Sunday night. But I will be surprised and disappointed if Tony Pollard is not a major player. He may be the wild card on offense.
Spot on as usual Mr Bob.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I think you will see Turpin in the slot, and maybe rotating pollard in situation downs. who knows, we might just jet-sweep Turpin all night for massive losses.

nobody will see that jets sweep for the 5 times during a game.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I feel obligated to point out that the infamous @Dak_Attack_09 took a ton of heat when he said Pollard should be a receiver.

He gets a ton of well deserved heat in the vast majority of his threads, and by 'vast majority' I mean pretty much all of them, so it's only fair to give him some credit when he deserves it. We might not get another chance. It only hurts for a minute....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nope. Just start Parsons on offense and defense. He can play WR or RB or TE or wildcat QB.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I think you will see Turpin in the slot, and maybe rotating pollard in situation downs. who knows, we might just jet-sweep Turpin all night for massive losses.

nobody will see that jets sweep for the 5 times during a game.
You’re right about Turpin some out of the slot. He could be a real pain in the defenses *** if they use him there. I’d play some Pollard there and some Turpin.

If they do a jet-sweep with Turpin, I hope Pollard is at RB on the play because both of their speed will really stress the defense.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right about Turpin some out of the slot. He could be a real pain in the defenses *** if they use him there. I’d play some Pollard there and some Turpin.

If they do a jet-sweep with Turpin, I hope Pollard is at RB on the play because both of their speed will really stress the defense.
Speed is always a pressure point for the defense. Even if it’s a decoy.

J-man

Reaction score
THE key player has to be Tyler Smith. If he struggles we'll know it quickly.

I look for Turpin to make a big splash play late in the game.

Mr_437

Reaction score
THE key player has to be Tyler Smith. If he struggles we'll know it quickly.

I look for Turpin to make a big splash play late in the game.
Lunch meat...Shaq Barrett on a rookie.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

How can a guy be they rarely use?

Mr_437

Reaction score
Tyler Smith will need and get plenty of help. I expect to see a variety of protection packages and chip strategies employed by the Cowboys to help Smith. He will have some good moments but also expect some bad too.
True. On the other hand, Barrett should get mauled by Smith in the run game.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
There will or should be overlap usage between Zeke - Pollard - Turpin.

Keep defense guessing by using them interchangeably.

ESisback

Reaction score

If we have Lamb, Pollard, Zeke, Brown and Shultz on the field at the same time, who does Tampa key on?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
:facepalm: It's a team sport. A "key player" is not going to win the game unless it's one that touches the ball every offensive play like the QB.

plasticman

Reaction score
Pollard is a good candidate for the key player on offense. I think Turpin is going to help the Cowboys immensely on special teams. I don't know that he'll return one all the way but I'm just talking about the importance of field position. Turpin could be a difference maker in that respect by shortening teh field for the offense.

By the same token, I think the Cowboys can really pressure Brady with the presence of Micah Parsons. The Bucs will have to dedicate a lot of manpower to stop him, and this opens up opportunities for others. It's just great to have a healthy D-line to open the season.

Most of us probably won't even notice the real key players because many of them don't come with impressive stats. It could be the O-lineman that opens up the holes for the running game. It could be the CB that doesn't get the INT, he just eliminates an option that forces Brady to gamble late in the game. Perhaps it's the DT that helps to shut down the running game.

Every year it seems like such a long wait for a new season. I hope it is worth it this year.