Important points about Parcells

joseephuss

Reaction score
STSINAZ said:
It was Parcells who traded and basically got Julius, Spears,,,then Bledsoe due to the trade for Losman.

It was Parcells who traded a 6th round pick for Terry Glenn.

It was Parcells who attracted alot of his old players to come here. Bledsoe, Ferguson, Glenn, Glenn,

It was Parcells who waited a little bit longer than most coaches until Bradie turned the corner.

It was Parcells who didnt bench Newman when he struggled a few years ago and now he is one of the best in the game.

It was Parcells who got rid of the small ball and brought in the 3-4.

It was Parcells who drafted Newman, Witten, James, Ware, Spears, Canty, Burnett, Fasano, Barber, Carpenter, and brought in potential UFA starters such as Ratliff, Crayton, Romo, etc.etc.etc...

Like him or not but in just his 4th year he has transformed this team after getting rid of most of the joker players jerrah assembled that he took to the playoffs IN HIS FIRST YEAR! with the sorriest qb in the game....AND we now have maybe the best defense in football! Do you guys realize how bad we were before he got here? Do you realize what Jerrah did to our team? We can dwell on the miscues he had with Peterman and Rogers, and Al Johnson, but the fact of the matter is this guy has put us back on the map...we should be elated but what do we do? we are pissed about a sorry qb like henson who just couldnt play! he didnt have a thing against him personally ...the problem was he COULDNT PLAY! So what if he missed on rogers and peterman...he may have turned around gurode to make up for al johnson and he didnt miss on procter and columbo...he brought both of these guys in and they probably will turn out to be pretty good...quit laying into one of the best head coaches ever...you have vince lombardi staring you right in the face and you treat him like he is Dave Campo! lol...this is a legend we are dealing with here that has turned around...NOW 4 TEAMS!

I never saw benching Newman as a logical move. I never thought he struggled as much as it was made out to be on these message boards.

It is not that he has gotten rid of "small ball" and replaced it with the 3-4. It is that he has brought in better defensive players. Gone are Carson and Wiley and now there is Spears and Canty. I would gladly take Spears and Canty in a 4-3 defense over those other two guys. These guys being bigger isn't what makes them better. They are just better.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
you're on fire today sts!

yea i guess people can't forgive parcells for not turning their favorite college picks into superstars. because honestly no team or coach hits 100% on every pick, you have to expect the occasional jacob rogers or duane goodrich.

TEK2000

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Great post....but, I give more credit to Jeff Ireland for the turn around of our draft.......I am not so sure BP knows all that about drafting.......hense Rogers and Peterman to name a few.

Jeff Ireland is responsible for all the young talent on this team....ck it out!

Now the big question?

Is BP responsible for hiring Ireland? I don't know who intiated that .......

Why is it all Parcells fault on the few picks that have failed... and all Ireland's credit for the MANY picks that have been a success?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
Why is it all Parcells fault on the few picks that have failed... and all Ireland's credit for the MANY picks that have been a success?

I agree. Ireland has done a good job informing BP and Jones about the prospects in the draft that is his job. Pulling the trigger on who we select is the job of BP and Jerry. Head of scouting does not make the picks.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
6th rounder for terry glenn...thats all we need to say right there...everyone forgets about that...

STSINAZ

Reaction score
let me first say this..yes no playoff win in 3 years you are right...but talk to me in 5 years and tell me how many playoff wins this team has achieved due to his talent acquisitions....just like when he left the pats who won the superbowl i may add 3 times with alot of the impact players HE brought in...and the Jets went deep in the playoffs for the same reason...HC and GM...we will do the same...we are back people...everyone knows it...after monday night it was like 92-96 out there...you could see it in every football fans eyes that i spoke to...they knew it and i knew it...they hated it but respected it...we are back...bp did it his way and not ours...his way works and we will win...jerry just had this team so far down that it took this long...thats not his fault! we need to show more gratitude...most of the fans cant even see it right in front of their faces...they pick one or two negatives but miss the 97 positives....

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i only wish that bp stays to see all of this through....he finally has the groceries on the table...and now he is going to get up from the table without eating them? i hope not...he doesnt look like he has missed too many meals...

Angus

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy said:
Great post....but, I give more credit to Jeff Ireland for the turn around of our draft.......I am not so sure BP knows all that about drafting.......hense Rogers and Peterman to name a few.

Jeff Ireland is responsible for all the young talent on this team....ck it out!

Now the big question?

Is BP responsible for hiring Ireland? I don't know who intiated that .......

Agree.

Angus

Reaction score
TEK2000 said:

Because Ireland wasn't promoted until last year.

Angus

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. Ireland has done a good job informing BP and Jones about the prospects in the draft that is his job. Pulling the trigger on who we select is the job of BP and Jerry. Head of scouting does not make the picks.

No, but he is the one who tells them who is best suited for what they say they want. And he is in the warroom when the decision is made.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
YoMick said:
  • O-line(4 years and counting, still not "decent")
    [*]Playing "not to lose" has to be less of a game plan
  • How about not getting outcoached by lesser coaches
  • Learn to play hurt and not at 100% has hurt the team in the past(JuJo, Crayton) and it is hurting us now(TO)

"Playing not to lose" assumes that if we would have played to win, we would have instead of getting blown out.

I tend to believe, given the Cowboys offensive talent and their woes on the offensive line and a young defense still learning the 3-4, "playing not to lose" was the best option.

"Playing to win," i.e., chucking the ball come what may, would have resulted in more 35-7 beatings like the Skins game us last year due to fumbles (by Bledsoe) and interceptions returned for TD.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
jerry said they BOTH have to agree...he said this the other day...but a few years ago he said he had the final say...that was b.s. IMO...even though he is the owner...he wont go against bill....bill has to sign off on ALL MOVES...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Angus said:
No, but he is the one who tells them who is best suited for what they say they want. And he is in the warroom when the decision is made.

Yes he is in the warroom on draft day but as a scout his job is to provide information on the prospect his job is not to select who we draft. He is a scout not the coach and not the GM. Those duties belong to Jones and Parcells.

joseephuss

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
"Playing not to lose" assumes that if we would have played to win, we would have instead of getting blown out.

I tend to believe, given the Cowboys offensive talent and their woes on the offensive line and a young defense still learning the 3-4, "playing not to lose" was the best option.

"Playing to win," i.e., chucking the ball come what may, would have resulted in more 35-7 beatings like the Skins game us last year due to fumbles (by Bledsoe) and interceptions returned for TD.

"Playing to win" is not the same as "chucking the ball come what may".

I think a good example of "playing not to lose" is the Seattle game. Two times they had it 1st and goal and both times they ran it on 1st and 2nd down and then had to throw it on the obvious passing situation on 3rd down.

zack

Reaction score
:hammer:
STSINAZ said:
It was Parcells who traded and basically got Julius, Spears,,,then Bledsoe due to the trade for Losman.

It was Parcells who attracted alot of his old players to come here. Bledsoe, Ferguson, Glenn, Glenn,

It was Parcells who waited a little bit longer than most coaches until Bradie turned the corner.

It was Parcells who didnt bench Newman when he struggled a few years ago and now he is one of the best in the game.

It was Parcells who drafted Newman, Witten, James, Ware, Spears, Canty, Burnett, Fasano, Barber, Carpenter, and brought in potential UFA starters such as Ratliff, Crayton, Romo, etc.etc.etc...

Like him or not but in just his 4th year he has transformed this team after getting rid of most of the joker players jerrah assembled that he took to the playoffs IN HIS FIRST YEAR! with the sorriest qb in the game....AND we now have maybe the best defense in football! Do you guys realize how bad we were before he got here? Do you realize what Jerrah did to our team? We can dwell on the miscues he had with Peterman and Rogers, and Al Johnson, but the fact of the matter is this guy has put us back on the map...we should be elated but what do we do? we are pissed about a sorry qb like henson who just couldnt play! he didnt have a thing against him personally ...the problem was he COULDNT PLAY! So what if he missed on rogers and peterman...he may have turned around gurode to make up for al johnson and he didnt miss on procter and columbo...he brought both of these guys in and they probably will turn out to be pretty good...quit laying into one of the best head coaches ever...you have vince lombardi staring you right in the face and you treat him like he is Dave Campo! lol...this is a legend we are dealing with here that has turned around...NOW 4 TEAMS!

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Here's my simple rationale on Peterman, Rogers, and Henson:

Replace Henson's pick with Romo
Replace Rogers pick with Columbo
Replace Peterman's pick with Procter

Now I feel better!

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Weather Bill sticks around or not, he is setting this team up nice for the future. I see good things happening this year and don't forget if not for missing some Chip shot FG's we would have made the playoffs last year. And finally to all the Bill haters, who would you rather have coach this team?.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Parcells it's not all good or bad.

He did do a terrific job with the '03 team-- outstanding really.

And he's picked up some terrific veterans along the way.

He's done some bone-headed stuff too-- like the "Peter Hunter experiment" at cornerback and our lack of depth at OT last year.

As good a coaching job he did in 2003 I thought he did the opposite last year-- 2005 was not a season to be proud of. It was one of the most painfully collapses I've ever witnessed and he needs to be held accountable for it just as much as he deserves accolades for 2003.

But the best addition was the bringing on of Ireland-- that's what has made the most difference to this club and I don't know if Bill or Jerry or maybe both should get the credit.

wileedog

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
But the best addition was the bringing on of Ireland-- that's what has made the most difference to this club and I don't know if Bill or Jerry or maybe both should get the credit.

We'll never know for sure, but considering that Jerry hung onto Lacewell despite *years* of horrific drafting leads me to believe that the borderline bad draft of 2004 pushed Bill over the edge with him.

Honestly, that offseason was in my mind the worst in Bill's tenure for a variety of reasons, and it showed on the field that year.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
STSINAZ said:

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!:bow: