Impressive thing about those 8 Giant sacks

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
We were only rushing 4 or 5 at the most on all of them. I have watched the video on NFL network several times now and it was simply our team overpowering the Giants OL. I don't know how many years I watched this team send more than 5 and still get zero pressure. Credit the Secondary for keeping the receiver covered just slightly longer too. This is the defense I expected to have when Wade got here and Ware is finally at the production level I expected him to be at when we drafted him.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I would love to see us rattle the rookie on Saturday with that kind of pressure.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I think you can count on the pressure. Flacco is not playing like a rookie but they can't keep up with us. Their defense is going to create problems for us, too.

sbark

Reaction score
and wasnt that against the BSPN proclaimed "best O Line " in football?...

When Wade is "on edge".....he finally gets the defence to play with an edge

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think a big part of the improvement has been the tighter coverage that was absent earlier in the year. When the QB is under duress now, he doesn't have a wide-open outlet so he has to eat the ball now.

The blitzing has also become more creative and the players' blitz technique is much better than in the past - they aren't just trying to engage their blockers passively but are trying to evade them and get after the QB with ferocity not seen in BigD in many, many years.

How many years did we see Cowboys LBs run right into the chest of the RBs and then just stand there - it is like they didn't understand the purpose of the blitz was to get after the QB.

Givincer

Reaction score
jobberone;2500970 said:
I think you can count on the pressure. Flacco is not playing like a rookie but they can't keep up with us. Their defense is going to create problems for us, too.

He's playing like a rookie vs. teams whose defenses are ranked in the top half of the league. He's got 6 touchdowns and 10 interceptions vs. those teams (in 8 games), with 176 yards/game at 6.2 YPA and a 58% completion percentage.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Eskimo;2500978 said:
I think a big part of the improvement has been the tighter coverage that was absent earlier in the year. When the QB is under duress now, he doesn't have a wide-open outlet so he has to eat the ball now.

The blitzing has also become more creative and the players' blitz technique is much better than in the past - they aren't just trying to engage their blockers passively but are trying to evade them and get after the QB with ferocity not seen in BigD in many, many years.

How many years did we see Cowboys LBs run right into the chest of the RBs and then just stand there - it is like they didn't understand the purpose of the blitz was to get after the QB.

I totally agree w/ you. That playing 10 to 15 yds off the receiver was garbage. You may allow for a 3 yd pass, but any playmaker can turn that into a 10-15 yd pickup w/ a juke. It killed us in our first skins game. Press and pressure should be how we do it from here on out. If we lose this way I can live with that.

ndanger

Reaction score
Hostile;2500960 said:
I would love to see us rattle the rookie on Saturday with that kind of pressure.
Yep and follow it up by making McNabb puke on his own field, on his own players.

Givincer

Reaction score
ndanger;2501026 said:
Yep and follow it up by making McNabb puke on his own field, on his own players.

On his own players! Now that's asking for quite a bit. :laugh2:

rexrobinson

Reaction score
Hostile;2500960 said:

Wait till he gets a taste of the 46 D sprinkled in with the very confusing 34 that Wade is running these days.

marchetta

Reaction score
Eskimo;2500978 said:

Exactly! Our sacks are a result of our press coverage. We're putting our CBs up to the LOS, and not giving the WRs a free release. The time it takes them to get into their route is allowing our rush to get to the QB. It's great to see a great rush and press coverage work hand in hand.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
jobberone;2500970 said:

I really believe that as long as we take care of the football, our offense will get back in synch. I think that should be our number one goal. Protect the ball. And stop the run, and then get after the QB. If we focus on those three things, we have enough talent on the offensive side of the ball to do what we want to do.

I dont know why, but I've turned into Parcells these last few weeks

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
marchetta;2501112 said:
Exactly! Our sacks are a result of our press coverage. We're putting our CBs up to the LOS, and not giving the WRs a free release. The time it takes them to get into their route is allowing our rush to get to the QB. It's great to see a great rush and press coverage work hand in hand.

Not to mention our pre-snap disguises.

Madden pointed it out, and it was beautiful. Hamlin baited Manning into thinking he had a Cover 1, with single high, instead Hamlin came back over the top of Newman in a 2 shell, and Newman was able to jump the inside route.

Playing tight on a receiver, and disguising your coverages. Finally! Finally!!!

I think that maybe before with our explosive offense, Wade didnt want to give up the big play. Now he is not relying on his offense and letting his defense make plays. This is what we've all been waiting for from this defense. Defense still wins championships...

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
The defense you're seeing now is what we had all hoped for when we thought we had a secondary full of talented corners, three very good edge pass rushers and some steady run guys to throw in there, too.

The first few games were very frustrating, but I like what we're seeing. I'm not sure our defense has been as good as it's been the last two months since 1992 or thereabouts.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
RainMan;2501133 said:
The defense you're seeing now is what we had all hoped for when we thought we had a secondary full of talented corners, three very good edge pass rushers and some steady run guys to throw in there, too.

The first few games were very frustrating, but I like what we're seeing. I'm not sure our defense has been as good as it's been the last two months since 1992 or thereabouts.
As soon as the Corners got their wish to play more Man the whole Defense vaulted forward.

Eskimo

Reaction score
RainMan;2501133 said:

This defense is probably better overall, IMO as they are approaching dominance type levels. The 90s defense depended alot on a ball-control offense to keep them off the field because they tended to fatigue. It'll be interesting to see if they can continue to sustain the way they have been playing over the rest of the season and hopefully into the playoffs.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Hostile;2501138 said:
As soon as the Corners got their wish to play more Man the whole Defense vaulted forward.

What is interesting, is Wade's reasoning for not playing man was the opportunity to intercept more passes.

But since we've started playing more man, we are seeing alot more interceptions. We have 5 of our 8 interceptions in the last five games.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Corners got thier wish to play more man when Newman finally got healthy and with the emergence of Scandrick being able to play the slot.
Scandrick has really impressed me with his aggressiveness and his confidence that he plays with.
You put Newman,Scandrick and now with Jenkins coming on...suddenly Ware is able to get more sacks as the QB has to hold on to the ball longer.
The guy who has been a pleasant suprise to me is Brady James. He is playing as well as any MLB in this last month. The way he is rushing the passer has suprised me.
Now with Newman,Spencer and Jenkins healthy this defense is really showing what it can do.

Eskimo

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2501150 said:
What is interesting, is Wade's reasoning for not playing man was the opportunity to intercept more passes.

But since we've started playing more man, we are seeing alot more interceptions. We have 5 of our 8 interceptions in the last five games.

The principle is fundamentally sound as the defenders get the ability to read the quarterback and play the ball. However, our players just maybe be much better at man coverage than zone so do better in that situation.

You can also play zone much tighter than we were earlier in the year and it does seems as though when we play zone we are executing much better with fewer blown assignments.

I will say that a big key to what we have been doing is mixing things up. It seemed like we kept giving the QB the same looks over and over again so they knew how exactly to attack us in any given situation. Now we are playing a much better mix of bump and run, man coverage and zone. On top of that, we may be trying to disguise coverages more.

I think a large part of this is the return of a healthy TNew. When you can add a premier cover corner who can just erase the other team's top receiver, it gives you alot more options to choose from. I think Wade has finally learned how to lean on his $50M corner (BTW, I do realize the defense had started to play better before he came back, but we went to a new level after his return).

Eskimo

Reaction score
J-DOG;2501174 said:
Corners got thier wish to play more man when Newman finally got healthy and with the emergence of Scandrick being able to play the slot.
Scandrick has really impressed me with his aggressiveness and his confidence that he plays with.
You put Newman,Scandrick and now with Jenkins coming on...suddenly Ware is able to get more sacks as the QB has to hold on to the ball longer.
The guy who has been a pleasant suprise to me is Brady James. He is playing as well as any MLB in this last month. The way he is rushing the passer has suprised me.
Now with Newman,Spencer and Jenkins healthy this defense is really showing what it can do.

Bradie James is a big plus going forward and big liability going backwards. We seem to be using his strengths to our advantage more - this is something Wade said from the beginning about his philosophy - fit the defense around your players.

I really think we see what he meant now that his in charge of the defense. He is taking players strengths and maximizing them. TNew can neutralize the other team's best WR - so use him to do that. Bradie can overmatch RBs on the blitz - so create situations for him to do that.