Impressive thing about those 8 Giant sacks

HogsRLegends

Reaction score
dmq;2500950 said:
We were only rushing 4 or 5 at the most on all of them. I have watched the video on NFL network several times now and it was simply our team overpowering the Giants OL. I don't know how many years I watched this team send more than 5 and still get zero pressure. Credit the Secondary for keeping the receiver covered just slightly longer too. This is the defense I expected to have when Wade got here and Ware is finally at the production level I expected him to be at when we drafted him.

How did the defense suddenly go from awful to superstar this quickly? The defense was awful in the first game against the Giants but in the last game seems like a Steelers/Ravens type defense.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HogsRLegends;2503227 said:
How did the defense suddenly go from awful to superstar this quickly? The defense was awful in the first game against the Giants but in the last game seems like a Steelers/Ravens type defense.
We sacked Eli 4 times in the 1st game. That's hardly awful.

In 12 games against the rest of the NFL, Eli has been sacked 11 times.

In 2 games against the Cowboys he has been sacked 12 times.

The difference is the CBs asked to play man coverage and the pass rush can be more aggressive than it can in a Zone where they also have coverage assignments to read.

HogsRLegends

Reaction score
Hostile;2503239 said:
We sacked Eli 4 times in the 1st game. That's hardly awful.

In 12 games against the rest of the NFL, Eli has been sacked 11 times.

In 2 games against the Cowboys he has been sacked 12 times.

The difference is the CBs asked to play man coverage and the pass rush can be more aggressive than it can in a Zone where they also have coverage assignments to read.

But we tried run blitzing him with press coverage and it didn't work. The Steelers and Ravens were also only able to generate token pressure it seemed.

How are Diehl and O'Hara being moved back into the pocket now when they ran for over 200 against the Ravens?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
HogsRLegends;2503245 said:
But we tried run blitzing him with press coverage and it didn't work. The Steelers and Ravens were also only able to generate token pressure it seemed.
In all fairness to the Giants, their O-line was beat up a bit.

HogsRLegends

Reaction score
Hostile;2503249 said:
In all fairness to the Giants, their O-line was beat up a bit.

Something sure changed after the bye week in the defense though, that's for sure. Your guys seem to want it right now, as do the Eagles.

The Commanders seem to just be choosing not to run the power run and counter treys anymore that were already proven to be almost unstoppable through the first 8 weeks.

Why we got away from what was working is beyond me. Power football is power football. If you want it, you move the defense.

Givincer

Reaction score
I definitely think the more aggressive the CBs are being asked to play is part of the reason the defense is doing better.

But I don't think we can discount the impact of having an actual NFL quarterback starting for us either though. Since Romo has come back, the defense has turned around. I'd say that's much due to Brad Johnson's going three and out so often. In the Giants game in particular, I think we actually turned the ball over a couple times in our own territory, not helping our defense's effort at all.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2503039 said:
I would NEVER, EVER trade any of our other CB's with the idea that we can depend on AJ; I just wouldn't do it.

Agree wholeheartedly, Leon.

It looked like Nicols closed down. Is there anywhere else to watch games?

So0fly33

Reaction score
People have been saying How Flacco hasnt been playing like a rookie, To me thats Not entirely accurate, his numbers are not that impressive. I believe he has Something Like 13 touchdowns to 12 interceptions. Thats rookie kind of Numbers....

kmd24

Reaction score
So0fly33;2503274 said:
People have been saying How Flacco hasnt been playing like a rookie, To me thats Not entirely accurate, his numbers are not that impressive. I believe he has Something Like 13 touchdowns to 12 interceptions. Thats rookie kind of Numbers....

He has a 7 game stretch from mid-October through November where he's really played well. He's struggled in the last couple of games against Washington and Pittsburgh. He also had a tough time of late with the Giants and Philly (high rating but 12-26 and his two TD's came after a turnover on the Philly 6 and a 53-yard catch and run by Clayton).

I think if we pressure him he'll struggle, but most QB's do.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
sbark;2500977 said:
and wasnt that against the BSPN proclaimed "best O Line " in football?...

When Wade is "on edge".....he finally gets the defence to play with an edge
It has been the best OL in football. One bad game doesn't change that.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
jobberone;2502978 said:
The answer is the Ravens led the entire NFL in offense in scoring in those games preceding the Pitt game.

alot of it wasnt because of their offense though...they have 6 defensive TD's and were set up on a short field a ton...

the Ravens offense itself is pretty average, though they do have decent WR's and Heap is a good TE when he is healthy. Love Flacco's arm, but I think we'll handle him pretty good Sat night. They run the ball a ton, but their yds per carry is pretty low.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
jobberone;2500970 said:
I think you can count on the pressure. Flacco is not playing like a rookie but they can't keep up with us. Their defense is going to create problems for us, too.

Actually, Flacco has been off and on this year. While I haven't looked closely at when he was on and when he was off, I'm willing the bet it coincided with the defense he was playing against. I know he stunk it up against the Steelers the last time they played even though they almost won the game.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
dmq;2500950 said:
We were only rushing 4 or 5 at the most on all of them. I have watched the video on NFL network several times now and it was simply our team overpowering the Giants OL. I don't know how many years I watched this team send more than 5 and still get zero pressure. Credit the Secondary for keeping the receiver covered just slightly longer too. This is the defense I expected to have when Wade got here and Ware is finally at the production level I expected him to be at when we drafted him.

Man that was frustrating the hell outta me. I am glad its changing. I like the way the defense is coming along.... and yet... I expected this LAST YEAR.

No better timing like the present.

Hostile;2500960 said:
I would love to see us rattle the rookie on Saturday with that kind of pressure.

Being that Wade has his finger on the D's pulse. There is no way we shouldnt be able to pressure hard and pressure often.

Givincer;2500980 said:
He's playing like a rookie vs. teams whose defenses are ranked in the top half of the league. He's got 6 touchdowns and 10 interceptions vs. those teams (in 8 games), with 176 yards/game at 6.2 YPA and a 58% completion percentage.

That is interesting. Thank you.
His skirt is lifted.... your post is showing ;)

I will take a 1 TD 3 INT day from the rook!