In 8 days 3 hours from this post, the Dak contract window ends!

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
That’s arguable since he didn’t even make the Pro Bowl when others did.

Our offense struggled scoring in all 8 of our losses averaging about 17 points a game. In 3 of those losses didn’t even put up a TD.
He should have made the pro bowl. Again it's a team game. Most of our losses last year our team lost the T.O.P. edge because our defense made darnold, allen, and trubisky look like joe montana. In those 8 losses our defense averaged .5 takeaways per game. There were only 2 games where our offense was negative in expected points that was against the patriots and the eagles. Out of those 8 games our defense was negative expected point total in 6 out of 8. Just for the record our special teams was negative in every game except 2.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/2019.htm

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is not an issue, and will not prevent them from tagging him again. The Cowboys, as an organizational philosophy over the last few seasons, have not been active in the big ticket sphere of free agency. They play on the fringes. And, the cap isn't going to rise after this year. At best, it will be flat after they reach an agreement with the NFLPA to borrow against future revenues to avoid a cap reduction of between 30M and 50M (depending on whether fans attend games or not, and if there is even a full 2020 season).

You've just talked yourself into a even worse position as the OVER THE CAP calculation had factored in a $17m increase in CAP space.

As regards Free Agency.... we wont have sufficient to play on the fringe: 2 Safeties, 2LBs and at least 1 CB with scrubs on $10m.

My post mentions that the issue isnt just money, its that Dak just refuses to sign the TAG and by the time he does there's only scrubs left.

....and dont mention drafting one of the above as our first round pick will need to go on a QB, to safeguard Dak not signing. Not many later rounds jump straight into a good starter.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wouldn't say dak fell apart. The team did but not dak. Dak was the best player on the team last year.
If course he isn’t going to quit. He was on a contract year. I believe the same with Jarwin and a few others. Anyone fighting for contract was playing. But I think a majority gave up. And I think some of the staff quit also.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Not gonna happen what has he proven since what we saw last year "0". Only a fool will let this average QB sign a long term deal. I say JJ should let it play out and some fire under DAK's #$$$ nothing better than a do or die situation for the Cowboys....my moneys on disappointment and before you flame me remember the last 25 years...what's another .500 season to us....NOTHING.

Plankton

Reaction score
You've just talked yourself into a even worse position as the OVER THE CAP calculation had factored in a $17m increase in CAP space.

As regards Free Agency.... we wont have sufficient to play on the fringe: 2 Safeties, 2LBs and at least 1 CB with scrubs on $10m.

My post mentions that the issue isnt just money, its that Dak just refuses to sign the TAG and by the time he does there's only scrubs left.

....and dont mention drafting one of the above as our first round pick will need to go on a QB, to safeguard Dak not signing. Not many later rounds jump straight into a good starter.

Signing the tag is irrelevant - once he's tagged, the money is allocated. It doesn't matter whether he signs it or not as far as how they treat and deal with the rest of the roster and signing other players. The only issue would be whether he signs an extension that lowers the number or not.

And if you think that the cap is going to rise next year, you are on an island all by yourself. Literally no one affiliated with the game believes that this will be the case in a season where it's no sure thing that it will be played and even less sure a thing that there will be any fans in the seats. If you're relying on Over The Cap for the numbers next year, I would suggest not doing that for the 2021 season, especially in light of the current situation.

And as for free agency, the Cowboys will in all likelihood continue to play on the fringes and not expend huge capital on a player from another team. They'll sign guys to one year deals, or short deals with opt outs like they did with Poe and McCoy.

The Cowboys would only draft a QB in the first if they were ready to let Prescott go. Which they don't seem at all inclined to do.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unless he signs a contract for 25M a year, which is never happening, his contract will be discussed until we win a super bowl.

He came in with a Bang and will go out with a wimper.....in the end he will be forgotten quickly once we establish an above-average passing game and win-win-win......

McKDaddy

Reaction score
In a perfect world yes but for a QB in the NFL I’d argue it’s not an ideal situation.
Understand and agree to an extent. I just take the position with anyone in the public eye that they get the rewards so they gotta take the heat.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Signing the tag is irrelevant - once he's tagged, the money is allocated. It doesn't matter whether he signs it or not as far as how they treat and deal with the rest of the roster and signing other players. The only issue would be whether he signs an extension that lowers the number or not.

And if you think that the cap is going to rise next year, you are on an island all by yourself. Literally no one affiliated with the game believes that this will be the case in a season where it's no sure thing that it will be played and even less sure a thing that there will be any fans in the seats. If you're relying on Over The Cap for the numbers next year, I would suggest not doing that for the 2021 season, especially in light of the current situation.

And as for free agency, the Cowboys will in all likelihood continue to play on the fringes and not expend huge capital on a player from another team. They'll sign guys to one year deals, or short deals with opt outs like they did with Poe and McCoy.

The Cowboys would only draft a QB in the first if they were ready to let Prescott go. Which they don't seem at all inclined to do.

1) The scenario is. Dallas offers TAG, BUT DAK REFUSES TO SIGN UNTIL LAST MINUTE - THIS YEAR IT WAS end of June....or refuses to sign it at all. If he does this we cant sign any Free Agent of note as we're uncertain of our actual available CAP SPACE.

2) If ,as you say, the CAP doesn't increase next year we will be left with $20m CAP Space (and whatever we roll over from this year - atm $11m) .... that's before paying DAK .....AND ANY OTHER fa.

3) We wont have the money to sign players such as Poe ( $4m aav) nor McCoy ($6m aav).

4) Unless the Jones are going to capitulate to Dak's demands they have to sign a QB..... if we dont draft a QB (and wont be able to resign Dalton (see above for reasons)....then this further enhances Dak's bargaining position.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
1) The scenario is. Dallas offers TAG, BUT DAK REFUSES TO SIGN UNTIL LAST MINUTE - THIS YEAR IT WAS end of June....or refuses to sign it at all. If he does this we cant sign any Free Agent of note as we're uncertain of our actual available CAP SPACE.

2) If ,as you say, the CAP doesn't increase next year we will be left with $20m CAP Space (and whatever we roll over from this year - atm $11m) .... that's before paying DAK .....AND ANY OTHER fa.

3) We wont have the money to sign players such as Poe ( $4m aav) nor McCoy ($6m aav).

4) Unless the Jones are going to capitulate to Dak's demands they have to sign a QB..... if we dont draft a QB (and wont be able to resign Dalton (see above for reasons)....then this further enhances Dak's bargaining position.
I like the bolds. Makes me read harder.

Plankton

Reaction score

I don't think you understand how the tags work. Once the Cowboys place the tag on Prescott, his number is set. The available cap space would be known the minute they tag him - it has nothing to do with Prescott signing it. It serves as a placeholder against the cap.

You can keep bold facing what you are posting, but it really doesn't matter or make it any more authoritative or accurate. The Cowboys would have the ability to restructure Amari Cooper, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Tyron Smith or even Ezekiel Elliott to create space if there were a desired FA to sign. It's not like that isn't a possibility.

See above. And, if the cap does remain flat, guess what? There will likely be more Dontari Poe and Gerald McCoy types on the market due to teams around the league having cap issues.

If Dalton is fine playing for 5M or less per season, and is fine being a backup, they wouldn't have a problem resigning him if they chose to. Drafting a QB early is likely not going to happen, so I would get off that train of thought now. In all likelihood, Prescott will sign an extension with the team sometime before the beginning of next season, at numbers that won't be great for the Cowboys, but will reduce his cap number for 2021.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I don't think you understand how the tags work. Once the Cowboys place the tag on Prescott, his number is set. The available cap space would be known the minute they tag him - it has nothing to do with Prescott signing it. It serves as a placeholder against the cap.

You can keep bold facing what you are posting, but it really doesn't matter or make it any more authoritative or accurate. The Cowboys would have the ability to restructure Amari Cooper, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Jaylon Smith, Tyron Smith or even Ezekiel Elliott to create space if there were a desired FA to sign. It's not like that isn't a possibility.

See above. And, if the cap does remain flat, guess what? There will likely be more Dontari Poe and Gerald McCoy types on the market due to teams around the league having cap issues.

If Dalton is fine playing for 5M or less per season, and is fine being a backup, they wouldn't have a problem resigning him if they chose to. Drafting a QB early is likely not going to happen, so I would get off that train of thought now. In all likelihood, Prescott will sign an extension with the team sometime before the beginning of next season, at numbers that won't be great for the Cowboys, but will reduce his cap number for 2021.

I've just realised that every WELL KNOWN MEMBER is a troll paid just to argue.

Nothing of what you wrote actually means anything.

Work through what would happen if Dak doesnt sign the Tag?

Im not going to respond

uvaballa

Reaction score
I have added a countdown timer to the home page just so everyone will know when we can all finally enjoy the post-Dak-contract era at least for a few months whether he signs a new contract or not!
If he signs a new contract this place is going to explode. There will be many more threads all about the same thing.

Plankton

Reaction score
I've just realised that every WELL KNOWN MEMBER is a troll paid just to argue.

Nothing of what you wrote actually means anything.

Work through what would happen if Dak doesnt sign the Tag?

Im not going to respond

If Prescott doesn't sign the tag? He doesn't get paid. And, his number would still count against the cap until games are played, when the Cowboys would then get a cap credit for each game that he wouldn't play as a result of not signing.

Of course, you can't argue a single point that I raised, because you think that the cap is going up next year, and that Prescott being on a tag would prevent the Cowboys from participating in free agency. You may as well go from typing in bold to all caps at this point.

Corso

Reaction score
If Prescott doesn't sign the tag? He doesn't get paid. And, his number would still count against the cap until games are played, when the Cowboys would then get a cap credit for each game that he wouldn't play as a result of not signing.

What do I win?
Go ahead and choose one.

carnival-game-prizes.jpg

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have added a countdown timer to the home page just so everyone will know when we can all finally enjoy the post-Dak-contract era at least for a few months whether he signs a new contract or not!

i hope Dak gets paid by 15th just to put this tired horse saga to an end

bb721

Reaction score

I think that your countdown timer is off by several hours. The contract deadline is 4:00 PM Eastern Time on the 15th. It looks like your timer expires at midnight Central Time on the 15th

Corso

Reaction score
I think that your countdown timer is off by several hours. The contract deadline is 4:00 PM Eastern Time on the 15th. It looks like your timer expires at midnight Central Time on the 15th
Beautiful dag! What a cutie! I love dags.