CFZ In the “Player Safety” era, players aren’t playing as long and rosters churn mightily

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It may seem strange but in the era of increased player safety, the average career of an NFL player is now only 3 seasons which is down an avg of two years since 2000. Byron Jones’ announced retirement at age 30 at the height of his earning power is a reminder that these NFL players are gladiators who are paid well but aren’t lasting as long as their predecessors of the last 30 years. And the roster churn that happens every off-season means more than 40% of the roster we had in Dallas in 2022 won’t be here next year.

Modern NFL players are not playing as long as the past. Look at the evidence by decade:
  • In the 1990s, there were 83 players who appeared in 150 or more games.
  • From 2000-09, that number dropped to 63.
  • From 2010-19, it was down to 37.
And…NFL rosters churn quite a bit every year. NFL rosters are extremely unstable. On average only 56% of players return to the same team from one year to the next and two years out it is just around 35%. That means each year the average NFL team will keep a little more than half of their players on their active roster.

So which Cowboys players will be the more than 40% of the roster we say goodbye to this year?

Here’s a link to an article by I read by over the cap.com from 2020 that has some of the info I shared here.
https://overthecap.com/roster-turnover-in-the-nfl

rags747

Reaction score
Came to say this

Much easier to walk away when you’ve made $69,425,400!
Pretty much Exactly! What human would put in 30 years at Corporate for that pension after they made $25m after their first 5 years at the office cube. Ain’t happening except for a select few.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It may seem strange but in the era of increased player safety, the average career of an NFL player is now only 3 seasons which is down an avg of two years since 2000. Byron Jones’ announced retirement at age 30 at the height of his earning power is a reminder that these NFL players are gladiators who are paid well but aren’t lasting as long as their predecessors of the last 30 years. And the roster churn that happens every off-season means more than 40% of the roster we had in Dallas in 2022 won’t be here next year.

Modern NFL players are not playing as long as the past. Look at the evidence by decade:
And…NFL rosters churn quite a bit every year. NFL rosters are extremely unstable. On average only 56% of players return to the same team from one year to the next and two years out it is just around 35%. That means each year the average NFL team will keep a little more than half of their players on their active roster.

So which Cowboys players will be the more than 40% of the roster we say goodbye to this year?

Here’s a link to an article by I read by over the cap.com from 2020 that has some of the info I shared here.
Very interesting data..

The evermore reason to earn as much as you can while you can.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
Player are aware of and concerned about their health. So they retire earlier. Add to that they make more money playing far fewer years than they did in days gone by. If they are smart with their money they are better off now after just a few seasons.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
There are the same number of players in the league every year.

I kind of wonder if what is going on is that college players are coming in bigger, stronger and better prepared. As a result, they are pushing out veterans more frequently than they did in the past.

tunahelper

Reaction score

The big money contracts also helps people like Bryon Jones decide to retire. Let's remember the NFL health plan provides good care for the vested players post playing days. They also get retirement checks, so personally I think they are far better off than most.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry used to say attrition cost us 25-30% every year, so your 40% is interesting.
Usually the bad teams have bigger roster churns than those who are contenders or close. Plus, teams that have more guaranteed contracts for more cap space have less roster flexibility. We may have less roster change than many other teams. The numbers I gave were the league avg as of 2020.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know who had those stats first? The agents. They teach their players to have that mercenary attitude coming in as they should. The pot of gold is that 2nd contract and those not drafted on day one will push themselves for that. Perhaps too hard.

Fans speak about the lack of loyalty as compared to pre FA days. That wasn't loyalty, it was indentured servitude. You think GB, PIT, DAL, MIN, MIA and OAK were going to keep those teams together if the players had a choice? DAL would not have been able to keep Staubach, Lilly, Jordan and Green on the team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know who had those stats first? The agents. They teach their players to have that mercenary attitude coming in as they should. The pot of gold is that 2nd contract and those not drafted on day one will push themselves for that. Perhaps too hard.

Fans speak about the lack of loyalty as compared to pre FA days. That wasn't loyalty, it was indentured servitude. You think GB, PIT, DAL, MIN, MIA and OAK were going to keep those teams together if the players had a choice? DAL would not have been able to keep Staubach, Lilly, Jordan and Green on the team.
And the owners have made it clear their loyalty is to their wallets, not the players. The NFL is a business first and foremost. Players have to be mercenaries to make the most of their careers.

Owners can and will make max profits for decades upon decades. Players have on avg 3-5 years to make their fortune. It’s why I always side with the players in collective bargaining. The owners have almost ZERO RISK compared to the players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And the owners have made it clear their loyalty is to their wallets, not the players. The NFL is a business first and foremost. Players have to be mercenaries to make the most of their careers.

Owners can and will make max profits for decades upon decades. Players have on avg 3-5 years to make their fortune. It’s why I always side with the players in collective bargaining. The owners have almost ZERO RISK compared to the players.
The owners are playing Legos and the players are the pieces. But, that is the nature of the NFL and the majority of players are getting rich, certainly making more than they would without football, and all of the owners make a profit guaranteed.

At least it has changed from when they were forcing these players to shoot up before games and the mere mention of a 2nd opinion, other than the team doc (played very well by James Woods), and they could lose their job. And the surgeries performed back then were also no choice unless they wanted to pay for that out of their meager paycheck.

Makes you wonder about that, doesn't it? Did the owners get the best docs or the most affordable?

EJ Holub had 13 knee operations and Bill Nelson had 16. Something just doesn't seem right about that.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Players make a crap ton more money now than the players from the past. It kind of makes the decision to retire young much easier. Take Dak for example, if he chose to quit now he would never have to work again. If I were in his shoes I would quit now.

rambo2

Reaction score

Playing 20 games a year is ridiculous. That puts players in an early grave.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Fans speak about the lack of loyalty as compared to pre FA days. That wasn't loyalty, it was indentured servitude.
What laws were passed and who held the guns to their heads to force them to play? I bet nearly every one of them to man would do it all over again for the same compensation.

T-RO

Reaction score
What's the real cause of shorter careers?
Analytics and self-scouting.

Until the past five years players could often stay in the league well after they deserved to because they had a big-name. Now most teams scrutinize and measure without so much emotional sentiment.

Emmitt Smith's last four years in the league?
3.9 yards per carry

He was toast, but he kept getting a roster spot and carries because of his reputation. Smith played 13 years. If he came into the league now he'd only have lasted 6-8 years.