In what ways can Jimmy influence Jerry?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How much will Jerry listen and take heed to what is being advised to him. I know some may expect him to advise Jerry to make drastic changes, but the SMALL changes that could land big results, will Jerry listen?? Please give your thoughts

Jimbo123

Reaction score
How much will Jerry listen and take heed to what is being advised to him. I know some may expect him to advise Jerry to make drastic changes, but the SMALL changes that could land big results, will Jerry listen?? Please give your thoughts
If the rumors are true that Jimmy is looking for a house in University Park then Jerry must be serious about taking his advice.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Probably going to be cleaning house after this season, so it’ll help that Jimmy can help out finding the next HC.

I feel a little better about it if I look at it that way.

Wonder if Jimmy may actually tell him to get off the radio, and if he does would it matter.

There’s probably at least a shot that he convinces him that he can still be the man and get his credit if he brings in a proven name to run the whole thing.

MS17

Reaction score
Help Jerruh switch to Heineken from the hard stuff, maybe. NFL GMs shouldn't be impaired, you know.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
P R O P A G A N D A !
If Jerry can get fans to look one way, they won't notice that NOTHING CHANGED THAT MATTERS!
THIS. This story breaks and suddenly we're on the right track? Are we seriously supposed to believe Jimmy told Jerry to run this dumpster fire we saw against Green Bay back again?

LysleE

Reaction score
Jerry has always run things his way…he is a narcissist with a huge ego; and now all of a sudden after owning the team for almost 35-years he is seeking counsel from Jimmy Johnson, the man who received the credit that Jerry desperately wanted for building the great Cowboy teams during their Super Bowl run in the 90’s? A leopard doesn’t change their spots…

Quickdraw

Reaction score
How much did Jerry listen back in '94 when he allowed Jimmy to walk out the door. Jimmy says he left because it wasn't fun anymore, but we all know it wasn't fun because of the behind closed doors things that Jimmy had to put up with. Jerry was becoming a headline monger and interferring in the locker room. He still does that with celebrity tours during the season.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Wear a green and white tie on television?

Kind of odd he had a green tie on during the HOF ceremony

fivetwos

Reaction score
I can see Jimmy not pulling punches like one of Jerry’s hired yes men.

At least not being afraid to tell him…”hey, the way you’re doing it isn’t working. You can’t keep befriending players, or publicly saying all is great when it may not be….”

Any type of major change would need to start at the top with the culture. If that’s left alone then don’t even bother with the rest. It’ll be more of the same….a top heavy roster with sub par leadership with dated schemes that the better teams feast on.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
take away his Madden NFL control. Jerry is learning to be a GM from that game.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

At least not being afraid to tell him…”hey, the way you’re doing it isn’t working. You can’t keep befriending players, or publicly saying all is great when it may not be….”

Any type of major change would need to start at the top with the culture. If that’s left alone then don’t even bother with the rest. It’ll be more of the same….a top heavy roster with sub par leadership with dated schemes that the better teams feast on.
totally agree

FanofJerry

Reaction score

I think you said it with "schemes"

I think Cowboys major issue is not players' talent or contracts but with lack of creative coaching schemes. Thats not on the players. I think we have talent that executes fine...the coaching needs to step up.

But...its by design...by the time we have sufficient schemes...we wont have the talent anymore. See how this works?

I like Mike McCarthy as coach though. I dont know about his schemes...but I liked his situational play calling compared to Garrett.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
I think you said it with "schemes"

I think Cowboys major issue is not players' talent or contracts but with lack of creative coaching schemes. Thats not on the players. I think we have talent that executes fine...the coaching needs to step up.

But...its by design...by the time we have sufficient schemes...we wont have the talent anymore. See how this works?

I like Mike McCarthy as coach though. I dont know about his schemes...but I liked his situational play calling compared to Garrett.
Schemes played a role in things but this team also does not have depth in key positions. It's lacking LB's, a couple of big defensive linemen for run stopping, the offensive line is getting older and they're lacking a power run game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if they go on and win the SB.
Does Jerry get the credit, or do all the haters give it to Jimmy. :lmao:

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Schemes played a role in things but this team also does not have depth in key positions. It's lacking LB's, a couple of big defensive linemen for run stopping, the offensive line is getting older and they're lacking a power run game.
I agree with this about the areas you pointed out. My issues are if we know if Quinn's system would have been more successful if the two injuries to LVE and Overshown would not have happened. LVE is pretty big and I think OLineman would have had a harder time moving him than the hybrid lb's/safeties. I could be wrong and LVE's history shows he would get pummeled by OLinemen. I know early in his career there were murmurings on this board that he wouldnt fill gaps quick enough. Didnt he have a solid year last year before this year? Was he shedding linemen and hitting gaps? I really dont know a lot about position assignments to be honest. My point is...two lb's were injured that were supposed to get lots of minutes.

We tried to address DLinemen and Hankins had some good games.

I guess I dont know if the injuries killed Quinn's scheme and he didnt have personnel to adjust properly. I dont know who or what to blame is on the run defense since there are adequate excuses to be used.

The run game needs improvement for sure. I dont know if its personnel is lacking talent wise(Martin and Tyron old) or if its blocking scheme? Wasnt Steele known as a good run blocker over being a pass blocker? We know Tyler Smith can block. The back up center seems to have potential but I dont know how good he is at run blocking. So I dont know what the issue here is either. Better RB's?

Run game blocking and run game defense were issues, though.