Increasing interceptions - how exactly is it done?

Dreski

Reaction score
Remember when Sam Darnold said that we played the same coverage we always do and it was predictable? Not doing that would be a start :laugh:

I’m excited to see how Mike Nolan runs the defense! I feel like that unit as a whole will benefit with a new coaching staff. They threw away last years scheme with the coaches.

But to answer the question, I think having DT’s keeping the QB from stepping up helps, as well as coverage schemes. Our ends were good but I feel like the quarterbacks could avoid them more easy due to the pressure in the middle not being there, maybe we ran too many stunts idk.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Pass rush hurries throws and bad throws. CB get your head around and read the QB. They need to trust the pass rush is getting there.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some it's are luck some are skill, most are a combination.

Lewis is not a better CB than Jones. But he gets more opportunities and he has the skill to catch the ball when the QB screws up. His INT vs the saints 2 years ago is a prime example. Kamara had him beat to the outside but Brees was hurried and threw low away to the inside, but Lewis was athletic enough to attack the ball and make the catch. If Lewis had tighter coverage on kamara he probably doesn't make the INT.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's pretty much unanimous consensus here that the Cowboys defense gets far few interceptions. With that in mind, how to go about it?

Every defender in the NFL is an elite professional, so the issue isn't their hands; at this level, every Cowboys cornerback and safety can catch balls thrown in their vicinity.

Is it the defensive coordinator mindset of "err on the safe side and bat the ball down rather than go for an INT and risk whiffing entirely?" If so, then we need a more risk-taking DC who is willing to forgive big passing plays allowed if it means upping our chances of INTs. We need to teach a mindset of "one interception is worth five bat-downs" or something like that.

Is it that the Cowboys generate too little pressure on the opposing quarterback? Well, that's a given no matter what - you always need pressure on the opposing QB no matter what kind of defense you run, so that's a no-brainer - clearly the Cowboys' lack of interceptions isn't solely about lack of quarterback pressure.

Do some defensive backs simply have the ball-hawking "it factor" while others don't?
But one interception isn't worth 5 bat downs if even one miss goes for a TD.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Better players and better coaching would help.

Replace LB's on third and long with safeties.

Get pressure on the QB without blitzing.

Get better bump and run corners.

Stopping the run helps too. Teams practice the playes they're going to run in a game during the week. If we can stop their running game they'll have to pass more. When throwing that many passes they'll run out of pass plays that they practiced that week. That's when they start getting predictable because now they are calling plays from last week. And our players just watch the film from last week.

Every great defense starts out upfront. If your front four can generate pressure without blitzing and hold up against the run, then the back seven will be free to make plays.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Don't ask the Dallas secondary. But,. if you find the answers. Pass it on to them and the coaches.

shabazz

Reaction score
Know ahead of time, the routes the receivers are running

https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/OUJzZ9d-EVBuoE2512BmdqJl-2LJ9w_soea2NrS_Uy5rLaHgwhcW-n2lomSMnPOcBMHjD6e7yEmO2WG6NAu3Z46_FrTGpQPiEv4dAUq1vWySXrkYn3Y1uqs

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just turn around and look at the ball.

Probably a lot easier said than done.
Sitting on a couch, chair, bar stool, laying in bed, standing or however one watches the game. The perspective is night and day.
We as fans are over critical at times over this.

I have said it many times, turn around, but at times, if they look, get burned for the TD, then fans will be saying, he looked to early, took his eyes off the ball, needs better timing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think by and large teams who can bring pressure with a 4 man rush without blitzing leaving the secondary in full coverage will create more take aways since your not leaving a man open or putting yourself in a mismatch. Don't take it as I am opposed to blitzing but I just think any time a defense can bring heavy pressure with 4 men the secondary becomes less exposed and able to be more aggressive knowing they have help over the top.

starfan1

Reaction score
Want more interceptions? Have Dak throw more passes.....
:laugh:
I know you were joking but its not even accurate. Now if you want to throw out a cowboys QB that threw alot of picks you could have picked aikman or romo and been closer to accurate. Or say Jameis Winston

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The turn your back to the QB stuff Richard loved was crap for INT’s. Looked great with All-Pros in Seattle but without elite talent/instincts you can’t expect guys to haul in a bunch of picks if they literally turn and run with the WR the whole time.

Get guys eyes to QB more often, change up coverages sprinkle in zones and zone blitzes to confuse the QB. Not only does our technique make it hard but we never change what we do and QB’s are comfy as heck when they play us. Makes it even harder to get picks when they know exactly what to exploit scheme wise.

I think the lack of mixing coverages was the biggest problem.

NFL QB's are not going to make a lot of mistakes if you throw the same defense at them every play.

There is a reason Sam Darnold and Mitchell Trubisky looked like All Pro's against our defense.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Know ahead of time, the routes the receivers are running
https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/OUJzZ9d-EVBuoE2512BmdqJl-2LJ9w_soea2NrS_Uy5rLaHgwhcW-n2lomSMnPOcBMHjD6e7yEmO2WG6NAu3Z46_FrTGpQPiEv4dAUq1vWySXrkYn3Y1uqs
Hard to do when the receivers themselves didn't even know. Thus, Dak was blamed for overthrowing them. o_O

817Gill

Reaction score
I think the lack of mixing coverages was the biggest problem.

NFL QB's are not going to make a lot of mistakes if you throw the same defense at them every play.

There is a reason Sam Darnold and Mitchell Trubisky looked like All Pro's against our defense.
Exactly that’s a huge part of it

RS12

Reaction score
Eh could either draft guys who play the ball in the air and not the man or coach them to do so.