Initial thoughts on Tolbert?

RonWashington

Reaction score
He dropped a first down pass when contact was closing in one of Rush few decent throws. Hard to evaluate a vertical receiver when he’s running ten yard curl routes.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thoughts on Tolbert:
  • Forget last night’s PS game. That was a complete joke.
  • Tolbert obviously has talent and upside.
  • Fluid, smooth and has good hands and athleticism.
  • As a rookie, has a ton to learn about adjusting to NFL level competition. (Playing in real games as opposed to practices in TC)
  • Will require some patience before we see what he really is.
Quick reminder- Michael Gallup was also a third round pick and was not an immediate plug and play. Took him several months to adjust to the NFL. That’s kind of what I think we will see from Tolbert.

Hence why Jerry thinking we are Ok at WR until Gallup comes back is idiotic.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hence why Jerry thinking we are Ok at WR until Gallup comes back is idiotic.
Don’t believe what JJ and SJ SAY. Believe what they DO.

They say a lot of stuff. Probably 80-90% of their talk is complete non-sense. They may already know they need some help at WR, OL and K but are just waiting until they can acquire some people at a price they like.

It is pretty obvious by now this FO is never going to be a proactive group. They always believe best case scenarios until a roster crisis hits them like a 2x4. Because of their arrogance and lack of accountability for their failures, they never learn anything and literally can take whole seasons off and just think, “Wait until next year”.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don’t believe what JJ and SJ SAY. Believe what they DO.

They say a lot of stuff. Probably 80-90% of their talk is complete non-sense. They may already know they need some help at WR, OL and K but are just waiting until they can acquire some people at a price they like.

It is pretty obvious by now this FO is never going to be a proactive group. They always believe best case scenarios until a roster crisis hits them like a 2x4. Because of their arrogance and lack of accountability for their failures, they never learn anything and literally can take whole seasons off and just think, “Wait until next year”.

Great strategy. Hey, we have some serious holes but we’ll fix them when it gets cheap enough to fix them. LOL.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
To you guys who are saying you can't judge him by what you saw last night, you are wrong. The guy didn't even try to make the tough catches in traffic which means he has no heart. And this is not TV, you can't follow the yellow brick road to go get a heart. If he doesn't have heart right now he never will.

That to me was amari Cooper's biggest problem. You can't be a number one wide receiver if you're not willing to make the tough catches over the middle. That's one thing Michael Irvin, Terrell Owens, and Dez Bryant all had in common, they would make that catch.

So at some point during this season look for Jalen Tolbert to stop his route and just let the DB intercept the ball. Because he has no heart. I've seen Cooper do that, I've seen Beasley do that, and I guarantee you Tolbert will at some point.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
No but we can also realize he’s probably too raw to say, “Hey, no biggie that Gallup and Washington are out, Tolbert will be the #2 and everything will be fine!”
...thinking that you can plug a third rounder in and be a number two and he starts balling out is fools gold. I mean the kid has got talent but give him a chance to get his feet under him. It’s not like he was a first round superstar pick that fell to the third and people considered him a plug and play

GoldenR

Reaction score
Dak, Lamb, Brown, Tolbert, Fehoko. >>>>>>>>> Brady, Evans, Gage, Godwin, Julio.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I didn’t see much explosiveness in his game. What kind of receiver is he supposed to be?

Fluid route guy?
Speed guy?
Jump ball guy?
YAC guy?

He is too slow and another trash philosophy draftee by Jones and McCarthy that if you are 6’-0” + that makes you automatically a top tier WR. :facepalm:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Some WRs take longer than others to prove themselves as reliable and consistent performers. Fortunately for us Dennis Houston has passed up Tolbert to this point in time. There will be more time for the live action in the preseason games for the legit contributors to prove their worth.

Sydla

Reaction score
...thinking that you can plug a third rounder in and be a number two and he starts balling out is fools gold. I mean the kid has got talent but give him a chance to get his feet under him. It’s not like he was a first round superstar pick that fell to the third and people considered him a plug and play

Agrred but it seems like Jerry is gonna try it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the 15th WR selected in the draft. He needs time to adjust but unfortunately for him, he may have to be depended upon in the early going too much.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Haven’t been on here long but quickly have learned than any NFL GM looking for a coach, scout or talent evaluator only needs to search no farther than here...tha CZ......there is an abundance of talent here.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn’t see much explosiveness in his game. What kind of receiver is he supposed to be?

Fluid route guy?
Speed guy?
Jump ball guy?
YAC guy?
In college he was very good in all of those categories.

Some other WRs were better in 1 category but not as good in all of them.

Can't evaluate with Rush at QB.

WR is the most difficult position other than QB to make the transition from college to the NFL.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thoughts on Tolbert:
  • Forget last night’s PS game. That was a complete joke.
  • Tolbert obviously has talent and upside.
  • Fluid, smooth and has good hands and athleticism.
  • As a rookie, has a ton to learn about adjusting to NFL level competition. (Playing in real games as opposed to practices in TC)
  • Will require some patience before we see what he really is.
Quick reminder- Michael Gallup was also a third round pick and was not an immediate plug and play. Took him several months to adjust to the NFL. That’s kind of what I think we will see from Tolbert.
Good post!