"Injury Prone" You guys buy into this label?

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Its already a term Ive seen thrown around when the name Sean Lee comes up. Obviously, Miles Austin would fall into the group as well.
My question to you guys is; Do you put much stock into this?
Personally, I see it more of a bad luck situation. Brian Cushing for example, what are the odds of that happening to him? Danny Amendola is another guy that can be brought up.

I can understand wanting to avoid drafting or trading for a guy that has a known issue with a knee of something but what if the guy had missed several games with a hammie one year and some the next with a bad rotator cuff, then perhaps a few with turf toe...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Mostly, I see it as bad luck.

But I also believe some players can tolerate pain better than others.

cowboys2233

Reaction score

Agreed. I do think there are some instances where a player's physiological makeup makes them more prone to injury. Austin's hamhocks would be exhibit A -- something about the way his leg muscles are developed that makes him much more prone to injury than most.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Clearly, some players are more injury prone than others. Sometimes it is bad luck. Like when someone purposely takes out your knees and pop, there's goes your ACL. The way to determine bad luck or injury prone is to look at injury history and determine how much time the player has missed in the past. Sometimes their will be a pattern of injuries, and others just bad luck.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
Not sure what your point is. Clearly, some players are more injury prone than others. Sometimes it is bad luck. Like when someone purposely takes out your knees and pop, there's goes your ACL. The way to determine bad luck or injury prone is to look at injury history and determine how much time the player has missed in the past. Sometimes their will be a pattern of injuries, and others just bad luck.

Not sure what my point is?

Its a question trying to gauge how others feel about this... Which is just what you did, thanks. I agree.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't think it is really a true medical term, just a label. Some people are more apt to getting hurt or injured than others. I think the skeletalmusculo system has more to do with it.

Basically, most people have one as a strength and one as a weakness. For athletes, it it seems better to have a stronger skeletal system rather that muscular. Not sure if it has ever been proven but strong, muscular guys tend to break bones/ligaments more easily because the strengthening of muscle takes away from the bones stability.

Verdict

Reaction score
Generally speaking, blind luck is more the culprit than it is a case of being injury prone. I think the exception is someone like Miles Austin who will probably always have hamstring injuries because of the way he trains or the way his muscles are composed. Broken bones are generally bad luck. I think the only other wildcard that comes into play is that some players are probably more aware of their surroundings and may be able to lessen their chances of injury due to avoiding the situation leading up to the injury.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I see it as what is. Some guys are just injury prone. It may be a label but it applies to some.

Some of our players get hurt all the time & the Cowboys seem to like to roll the dice on guys like that.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Every body is different. Some heal faster than others. Some can tolerate punishment better than others.

Adrian Peterson comes back better than ever while another player's career might be over if they suffer the same injury.

Many of the players having injury issues with the Cowboys have a history of being fragile.

Yes...yes I do believe that some players are more prone to injury than others. It comes with the territory of being human.

theSHOW

Reaction score
Lee has a high motor and over extends too often because he is playing so hard. He is prone to injury every season. Unfortunately this will be the way it is with a player like this. Love him on the field...when he is there. The Cowboys have too many guys that we took the value back on draft days and need to get guys that will play 16 games. Past history is not a guaranteed indication of future performance but it is a pretty solid clue.

joseephuss

Reaction score

Yes, there are differences in pain tolerances, but sometimes that just doesn't matter. Some injuries prevent guys from playing no matter their pain threshold. A torn ACL is a torn ACL. Really can't do much with that.

I agree there is a lot of bad luck involved. It is an extremely physical sport. No matter how hard someone works to build their body up it only takes an awkward movement to tear it down.

links18

Reaction score
Its mostly luck, unless the player is constantly getting the same injury over and over again, i.e. Austin's hamstrings. There is no statistical reason to expect that someone who has never been injured before is less likely than one who has been injured before and healed, to stay healthy. George Selvie is just as likely to go down as Ware from here on out (assuming Ware is healed from what was ailing him).

OhSnap

Reaction score
DeMarco Murray is the only guy that I think is inj. prone but thats because of his college days too. But if a guy cant seem to put together 25 games over a couple seasons you gotta wonder.

Eddie

Reaction score
Injured every year he's played = injury prone.

Nation

Reaction score
Reoccurring muscle pulls and ankle sprains I buy as injury prone. A couple freak incidents where someone rolls into a knee in a pile no.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Its already a term Ive seen thrown around when the name Sean Lee comes up. Obviously, Miles Austin would fall into the group as well.
My question to you guys is; Do you put much stock into this?
Personally, I see it more of a bad luck situation. Brian Cushing for example, what are the odds of that happening to him? Danny Amendola is another guy that can be brought up.

I can understand wanting to avoid drafting or trading for a guy that has a known issue with a knee of something but what if the guy had missed several games with a hammie one year and some the next with a bad rotator cuff, then perhaps a few with turf toe...

I think a lot of people from a fan perspective underestimate how violent and physical football is. Players get injuries that would take some significant physical lifting or torsion to cause the same injuries in regular everyday life. And these injuries happen OFTEN to ALL KINDS of players independent of position on EVERY TEAM. So I believe it is mostly luck and all players are bound to get hurt. Most players are hurt at this point in the season and likely just have a less serious pull or sprain and are able to play with it compared to those who cannot get cleared by doctors to get on the field.

On a side note I believe a lot of the ligament tears are due to too many guys getting away with PED use causing players to be unnaturally bigger and faster, increasing the force in player collisions and putting more stress on ligaments which do not grow in size or strengthen like standard muscles when PEDs are used. Muscles are getting bigger and stronger + ligaments are staying the same = lots of acl, mcl, lcl, etc injuries.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
In the NFL? No, I don't. The NFL is too physical to say that every time a guy gets hurt he's injury prone. Now in the NBA? That's a whole different story. But in the NFL you can literally have a different injury every year.

TTexasTT

Reaction score
In the NFL? No, I don't. The NFL is too physical to say that every time a guy gets hurt he's injury prone. Now in the NBA? That's a whole different story. But in the NFL you can literally have a different injury every year.

lol sounds like a shoutout to D. Rose.
#TheReturn
#Nevermind

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Personally, some positions takes more physicality and punishment, like both lines and LBs, these positions usually end up with violent collisions every play, so I could see more injuries occurring for them and usually due to bad luck. I don't consider Lee injury prone but I consider Miles injury prone due to reoccurring injury.