"Injury Prone" You guys buy into this label?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Or Yao Ming...oh, what could have been with guy guy :(

Yeah that sucked for him.....he really was probably the last dominant big man we've seen....he should probably even still be playing now. He's probably still a HOF but man....I use to love watching him play. Its almost like he never existed in the NBA. You rarely hear people talk about him or see him during games or anything.

coult44

Reaction score
Its already a term Ive seen thrown around when the name Sean Lee comes up. Obviously, Miles Austin would fall into the group as well.
My question to you guys is; Do you put much stock into this?
Personally, I see it more of a bad luck situation. Brian Cushing for example, what are the odds of that happening to him? Danny Amendola is another guy that can be brought up.

I can understand wanting to avoid drafting or trading for a guy that has a known issue with a knee of something but what if the guy had missed several games with a hammie one year and some the next with a bad rotator cuff, then perhaps a few with turf toe...

Regardless of the reason; bad luck, weak core, soft conditioning, inferior skelatal or muscualar system, it is what it is. INJURY PRONE!!! Call it what you want. We have several guys on our team who are just that, prone to getting injured. This also has played a HUGE role in the last 18 years of the Dallas Cowboys. I'd rather have guys who are willing to play through pain, ie; Lewis, Suggs, Willis, Peterson. Guys you can depend on to play 15-16 games a year. I want guys that you know are going to be there during crunch time. Not guys who you know are going to go down at some point. We have several guys who seem to miss as many games as they play, ie; Austin, Lee, Murray, Johnson, Claiborne, Carter,....Most of these guys have had injuries at every level of the game, high school, college, and the NFL.

I always resort to Bill Parcells. "You might not want to come out of that huddle, you don't know who's gonna get in it"

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
With the amount of injuries we have had over the past 2-3 seasons, I think it goes deeper than just bad luck. We seriously need to look at our strength and conditioning program, our practice schedule, and even the guys we are drafting.

Something we are doing is not adding up, there is no reason that we should be having this many injuries compared to the rest of the league.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yeah that sucked for him.....he really was probably the last dominant big man we've seen....he should probably even still be playing now. He's probably still a HOF but man....I use to love watching him play. Its almost like he never existed in the NBA. You rarely hear people talk about him or see him during games or anything.

I feel sorry for Yao Ming for all the injuries he has had to deal with, but the guy is not a Hall of Famer.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its already a term Ive seen thrown around when the name Sean Lee comes up. Obviously, Miles Austin would fall into the group as well.
My question to you guys is; Do you put much stock into this?
Personally, I see it more of a bad luck situation. Brian Cushing for example, what are the odds of that happening to him? Danny Amendola is another guy that can be brought up.

I can understand wanting to avoid drafting or trading for a guy that has a known issue with a knee of something but what if the guy had missed several games with a hammie one year and some the next with a bad rotator cuff, then perhaps a few with turf toe...

It's a difficult question to answer.

It seem obvious with some players like Miles Austin. It seems highly unlikely that he will ever be 100% for a significant period of time.

When it comes to acquiring or retaining players, it's difficult to predict the future. If the Cowboys have choice between Henry Melton age 27 (out for 2013 with ACL) or Jason Hatcher age 32 (has had problems with stingers), which player is more likely to stay healthy for a multiple year contract?

Will Ware ever be 100% again? The stingers appear to have zapped the strength in his upper body. It seems to have become a chronic problem. Could the Cowboys get more production with the 12.25M that Ware is scheduled to make in 2014?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I feel sorry for Yao Ming for all the injuries he has had to deal with, but the guy is not a Hall of Famer.

You know I Thought he played longer than he did. Didn't realize he was just 30 when he retired. I think it says a lot about a guy who when he played he was the most dominant center in the league. In his latter years he was better than Shaq. I guess it depends on how the voters feel about his impact on the game. I actually read somewhere people felt he should get in for his impact on Chinese Basketball and the NBA. He was a MONSTER for the NBA in regards to the Chinese market.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
Yes and no. Some guys obviously have conditioning issues, but there are some freak occurrances, too - I've seen people here say Dunbar can't stay healthy. I don't buy that when the same injury would have happened to anyone who took a shot to the knee like he did.