Insomnia

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
So I was trying to sleep just now, and could not do so. I have class in the morning and need to get up early, but I can't do it. Today has been really stressful, and I just thought I would make a quick query to the wise folks here, to see if I can get constructive input.

Let me first say that I am very embarrassed to post this, however, I have searched for help everywhere and have to go last resort.

I suffer (self inflicted) from a horrible case of slothfulness. I get hyped about something, and then lose interest, and let everything go. For instance, this semester, I assured myself success, and started out very well. I was 4.0 up until mid march, my attendance to class was perfect, etc.

However, as always happens, I fell out, became lazy, and began missing classes. It has become progressively worse, reaching to everything. I now find it hard to get out of bed, study, etc. My grades are suffering (to the point of failure!) because of my ways.

I do not place blame anywhere, but with myself. I am as type B a person as you will ever find, I set goals and am ambitious, but lack motivation. I break goals, and do not regret doing so until too late. Basically, I become a lump.

I await (as needed, sometimes prodding is healthy) the obvious attacks on my laziness from this thread, however, I also would like to know if anyone here has ever been this way. Have you ever lived life without motivation, just sitting around, doing bare minimum, etc., to the point of being in real jeopardy? If so, have you recovered, and been able to constantly "take care of business?"

I understand this is strange, but this is a REAL problem for me, and I seem to lack the will power to get things in motion. I am sure it is probably an inherent weakness, some sort of character flaw, but it is something I REALLY WANT GONE. Thank you again,

CR

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
So I was trying to sleep just now, and could not do so. I have class in the morning and need to get up early, but I can't do it. Today has been really stressful, and I just thought I would make a quick query to the wise folks here, to see if I can get constructive input.

Let me first say that I am very embarrassed to post this, however, I have searched for help everywhere and have to go last resort.

I suffer (self inflicted) from a horrible case of slothfulness. I get hyped about something, and then lose interest, and let everything go. For instance, this semester, I assured myself success, and started out very well. I was 4.0 up until mid march, my attendance to class was perfect, etc.

However, as always happens, I fell out, became lazy, and began missing classes. It has become progressively worse, reaching to everything. I now find it hard to get out of bed, study, etc. My grades are suffering (to the point of failure!) because of my ways.

I do not place blame anywhere, but with myself. I am as type B a person as you will ever find, I set goals and am ambitious, but lack motivation. I break goals, and do not regret doing so until too late. Basically, I become a lump.

I await (as needed, sometimes prodding is healthy) the obvious attacks on my laziness from this thread, however, I also would like to know if anyone here has ever been this way. Have you ever lived life without motivation, just sitting around, doing bare minimum, etc., to the point of being in real jeopardy? If so, have you recovered, and been able to constantly "take care of business?"

I understand this is strange, but this is a REAL problem for me, and I seem to lack the will power to get things in motion. I am sure it is probably an inherent weakness, some sort of character flaw, but it is something I REALLY WANT GONE. Thank you again,

CR

What you describe sounds a lot like me when I was in college. I was feeling a lot of pressure to keep that 4.0 and to stay on the Presidents National Honors list. I finally went to the doctor and found out that I had a chemical inbalance. I am now more organized and able to finish tasks because I took care of it when I was younger. I'd suggest seeing a health professional and see if maybe the stress of school and a chemical inbalance is to blame... just a suggestion

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
bong0yv.gif

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
trickblue said:

If that does not help....maybe slowing down on the crown royal or other drinks, parties and activities may help.

Then again maybe you need to pace yourself in your studies, maybe you start out to strong out of the gate and by the halfway point you are just to tired to finish the race.

Whatever it is, I hope you figure it out...best wishes. :cool:

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
In seriousness... you sound like you may have adult ADD...

Have a doc check you out...

Duane

Reaction score
CowboysPrincess said:
What you describe sounds a lot like me when I was in college. I was feeling a lot of pressure to keep that 4.0 and to stay on the Presidents National Honors list. I finally went to the doctor and found out that I had a chemical inbalance. I am now more organized and able to finish tasks because I took care of it when I was younger. I'd suggest seeing a health professional and see if maybe the stress of school and a chemical inbalance is to blame... just a suggestion
Ditto for me Princess. Crown, go see a doctor and get diagnosed.

Hoov

Reaction score
trickblue said:

Agreed. the starting of a new task then losing intrest toward the end is classic ADD symptom. Though with ADD the reason for losing intrest is a new idea or task has taken your intrest away from finishing what now seems old and boring.

though the sleep thing does not seem to fit the mold for ADD, that could be sign of some type of depression. at any rate a trip to the doctor can't hurt anything.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
If that does not help....maybe slowing down on the crown royal or other drinks, parties and activities may help.

Then again maybe you need to pace yourself in your studies, maybe you start out to strong out of the gate and by the halfway point you are just to tired to finish the race.

Whatever it is, I hope you figure it out...best wishes. :cool:

I agree that you have to pace yourself and stay disciplined. I'm in grad school now and I struggle with the same issues towards the end of the semester. You're tired and you're ready for the semester to be over. The assignments take a little longer to complete. Have to be a little more motivated to go to class AND pay attention. It also doesn't help I'm close to finishing up.

Undergraduate studies may be a different beast and he may or may not be close to graduation, but it sounds like burnout. Now he just has to work that much harder to focus his energies on his studies.

Elastagirl

Reaction score
trickblue said:

Trickblue's new avatar makes me want to pay him for his psychological services..... great wisdom that Trickblue! He nailed it for my college days.

Truthfully my issue was many things. ... following the advice of Brain elaborates on what Trick is illuding..... and if your a tightwad telling your parents you will pay for your own school will more than likely motivate you to finish it up....it also would completely blow your parents mind :) and you would be working your butt off rather than having the luxury to just hang out.

And realizing that if your putting unrealistic goals of a 4.0 under such a heavy workload maybe reevaluating your goals? IF you finish w/ a 2.5 but you finish thats better than not finishing w/ a 3.5 . If I have an overwhelming job ahead of me, and the expectations i have set are extremely high.. I look at the impending job and I feel complete despair....I just dont want to deal. Maybe you need to drop a class this semester and complete it out in the summer?

Thats just one moms advice...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Organize better.
Think of it as a miltary regimen.
Soem folks need raw structure and you sound like a good candidate.

I am alot like you so understand completely. lol.
When I do well I organize things by scheduling every minute.

As a bit of advice go talk to your professors. They will have records that you were doing quite well early and will understand this change isn't really "you".

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
trickblue said:

He doesn't have ADD when the girls in bikinis run by.
LOL.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:

CR

It really helps when you have someone to keep you accountable.

If left to myself I would fall into the very same pattern....and then I would get depressed that I was in the pattern....which would in turn make it harder to get motivated...which in turn would make me more depressed. It can quickly turn into a death spiral and lead to severe depression.

I personally would not recommend a head shrink. Drugs seems to be the cure all of the day and can ultimately lead to much bigger problems. And many shrinks are in the business to sell drugs.....so you are taking a big chance by assuming that any given shrink will have your best intentions at heart. They very well could subscribe you a drug where none is needed....and now you are simply masking the issue that exists rather than dealing with it.

If you are smoking pot...then I would definitely argue that you need to stop. Pot is good for creative thinking but is a motivation killer. If you want to turn into a slug then just sit around and hit the bong all day and discuss philosophy. I have seen many a talented person turned into a waste from the effects of pot.

The other advise I would give you is that you need to gut it up and be a man. Unfortunately life is not always going to be exciting and fun. Sometimes we simply have to move forward through the drudgery.

The last think i would tell you is that a good caring wife will ultimately do you good. My wife keeps me accountable and drives me to make more of myself. If I was not married I would sit around in my underwear and watch television all day. Instead I am remodeling bathrooms, building fences, doing landscape work, teaching my children math...etc...etc. So don't despair...there is hope in the future if you choose the right woman :)

Finally, I would like to point out the story in Genesis about the fall (sorry guys!) Adam's curse was that he would have to toil and strain to exact a living for himself...this was part of the fall. I would propose that this is exactly what you are dealing with....the toil and the strain.

Hoov

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
It really helps when you have someone to keep you accountable.

If left to myself I would fall into the very same pattern....and then I would get depressed that I was in the pattern....which would in turn make it harder to get motivated...which in turn would make me more depressed. It can quickly turn into a death spiral and lead to severe depression.

I personally would not recommend a head shrink. Drugs seems to be the cure all of the day and can ultimately lead to much bigger problems. And many shrinks are in the business to sell drugs.....so you are taking a big chance by assuming that any given shrink will have your best intentions at heart. They very well could subscribe you a drug where none is needed....and now you are simply masking the issue that exists rather than dealing with it.

If you are smoking pot...then I would definitely argue that you need to stop. Pot is good for creative thinking but is a motivation killer. If you want to turn into a slug then just sit around and hit the bong all day and discuss philosophy. I have seen many a talented person turned into a waste from the effects of pot.

The other advise I would give you is that you need to gut it up and be a man. Unfortunately life is not always going to be exciting and fun. Sometimes we simply have to move forward through the drudgery.

The last think i would tell you is that a good caring wife will ultimately do you good. My wife keeps me accountable and drives me to make more of myself. If I was not married I would sit around in my underwear and watch television all day. Instead I am remodeling bathrooms, building fences, doing landscape work, teaching my children math...etc...etc. So don't despair...there is hope in the future if you choose the right woman :)

Finally, I would like to point out the story in Genesis about the fall (sorry guys!) Adam's curse was that he would have to toil and strain to exact a living for himself...this was part of the fall. I would propose that this is exactly what you are dealing with....the toil and the strain.

I don't think the picture is quite that bleak. and not recommending psych doctor at this point either, just a visit to the primary to run some tests.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:
I don't think the picture is quite that bleak. and not recommending psych doctor at this point either, just a visit to the primary to run some tests.

What kind of tests ? Blood pressure and blood cell counts ?

When it comes to the mind there is very little that we actually know. A primary care giver will not be able to tell you anything concrete. If it is mental...then all they would be able to do is give a referral to a head doctor.

Also, I do not know Crown Royals personal life....but....if there is drug or alcohol abuse involved.....then I would start there before I started going to head shrinks. Based on your past posts....I would expect you to understand this.

Hoov

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:

When it comes to the mind there is very little that we actually know. A primary care giver will not be able to tell you anything concrete. If it is mental...then all they would be able to do is give a referral to a head doctor.

Also, I do not know Crown Royals personal life....but....if there is drug or alcohol abuse involved.....then I would start there before I started going to head shrinks. Based on your past posts....I would expect you to understand this.

You love to argue with me don't ya. Lol. uh regarding my past posts are you referring to the fact that i would understand drug and alcohol abuse ? and whats wrong with seeing a therapist ?

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:

Also...the picture may not be that bleak....but as far as Crown Royal life goes...there is a lot hanging in the balance here.

He stands at a point in his life, a precipice, that will have a huge impact on the direction that he will take in the future.

If he ultimately fails at this endeavor (college) then there could be dire consequences in regards to the direction that his adult life takes. He obviously understands this and is concerned with it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:

You know to be honest I am on the same page as you on some of the things you said.

Being of the age in an enviroment as he is in, drugs may be a factor, by his own avatar, name and posts it would appear he likes to drink a good deal...now that does not say that he is a raging alcoholic...maybe he is just an occasional social drinker that plays it up some for the forum here....I don't know.

However your other takes about ADD and other things with people going to shrinks is getting way to easy this days...and I am of the belief that if 20 people went to a shink, at least 15 would be diagnosed with something even if they don't have anything wrong other then having a short temper, bad attitude, just lazy or just have problems with authority.

All or any of those things does not mean one has ADD, Depression, Bi-Polar desease and too many times, IMO, these days that is just what is said as not only a way to get more patients and money, but as a way for a person to have an excuse.

Please nobody get the impression that I think none of those conditions are real, as they are indeed very real....just not as many people really suffer from those conditions as some of these doctors would like us to believe IMO.

So a kid is hyper...most kids are hyper at a young age, does not automatically mean he has problems, just that he is hyper.

So a kid is lazy at an age, does not mean he has ADD or depression.

So a kid struggles some in school...it does not mean he has add, depression or some other problem other then maybe not being as smart as the parents would like the kid to be.

Some of these tags put on young people or adult people by doctors and the medication they put them on when it is not needed for many cases, actually takes away from the serious cases they do get, from people who are indeed bad off and need the help, furthermore it hurts those that do not need the treatment but are put on it just because it seems the norm now days.

So once again, make no mistake for anyone reading this post, there ARE indeed serious cases that need attention, but it is of my opinion that many that are said to have ADD, Depression or other labels....are just kids or people that need to learn some motivation, learn not to sit back and expect it to happen for them but instead to have to work hard, for some just to actually take responsibility, that although you may not like something you may still have to complete the task at hand and so on.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Wow - thanks for the input everyone. I will reread the thread a little later and see where to go from there - I MUST do some work right now though.

A bried aside - I never smoke the ciga-weed, definitely not my style. And don't let the avatar fool you - I enjoy a good whiskey here and there, but am very responsibile and never abuse alcohol, so anything on this topic cannot be attributed to substance abuse.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:
You love to argue with me don't ya. Lol. uh regarding my past posts are you referring to the fact that i would understand drug and alcohol abuse ? and whats wrong with seeing a therapist ?

you "like Coke...but don't drink soda." :)

I have seen therapy destroy lifes. I have seen strung out patients going to thier shrink for thier next fix. I believe that there are therapists who prescribe medication for the primary purpose that it is how they make a living.

I also see this more and more with Primary Care providers....you go in with an issue and they prescribe you the latest medicine. The majority of Doctors don't treat the problem, they treat the symptom.

I am sure that there are good doctors out there....but I am also sure that there are bad doctors. And IMO you play russian roulette if you start taking the first pill that is handed to you....especially as it relates to phsychotic medications.

Just my opinion.

And yes...I like to argue.....but I do feel passion for Crown in this situation...and he is obviously going to weight the advice that he is given here....or he would not have asked.