Insomnia

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Wow - thanks for the input everyone. I will reread the thread a little later and see where to go from there - I MUST do some work right now though.

A bried aside - I never smoke the ciga-weed, definitely not my style. And don't let the avatar fool you - I enjoy a good whiskey here and there, but am very responsibile and never abuse alcohol, so anything on this topic cannot be attributed to substance abuse.

GOOD ! I for one am glad to hear that.

Now get off this forum and go do your work :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:
Wow - thanks for the input everyone. I will reread the thread a little later and see where to go from there - I MUST do some work right now though.

A bried aside - I never smoke the ciga-weed, definitely not my style. And don't let the avatar fool you - I enjoy a good whiskey here and there, but am very responsibile and never abuse alcohol, so anything on this topic cannot be attributed to substance abuse.

Good to hear that.

Not that I would judge you if you did...but since you asked in your intial post that is the reason I brought it up.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crown Royal said:

Well hopefully, what was said in the thread that does apply to your life as you see it, helps you as you navigate through your life.

As trite as it sounds, the decisions you make today definitely does affect how you live your life tomorrow.:)

Mike 1967

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
You know to be honest I am on the same page as you on some of the things you said.

Being of the age in an enviroment as he is in, drugs may be a factor, by his own avatar, name and posts it would appear he likes to drink a good deal...now that does not say that he is a raging alcoholic...maybe he is just an occasional social drinker that plays it up some for the forum here....I don't know.

However your other takes about ADD and other things with people going to shrinks is getting way to easy this days...and I am of the belief that if 20 people went to a shink, at least 15 would be diagnosed with something even if they don't have anything wrong other then having a short temper, bad attitude, just lazy or just have problems with authority.

All or any of those things does not mean one has ADD, Depression, Bi-Polar desease and too many times, IMO, these days that is just what is said as not only a way to get more patients and money, but as a way for a person to have an excuse.

Please nobody get the impression that I think none of those conditions are real, as they are indeed very real....just not as many people really suffer from those conditions as some of these doctors would like us to believe IMO.

So a kid is hyper...most kids are hyper at a young age, does not automatically mean he has problems, just that he is hyper.

So a kid is lazy at an age, does not mean he has ADD or depression.

So a kid struggles some in school...it does not mean he has add, depression or some other problem other then maybe not being as smart as the parents would like the kid to be.

Some of these tags put on young people or adult people by doctors and the medication they put them on when it is not needed for many cases, actually takes away from the serious cases they do get, from people who are indeed bad off and need the help, furthermore it hurts those that do not need the treatment but are put on it just because it seems the norm now days.

So once again, make no mistake for anyone reading this post, there ARE indeed serious cases that need attention, but it is of my opinion that many that are said to have ADD, Depression or other labels....are just kids or people that need to learn some motivation, learn not to sit back and expect it to happen for them but instead to have to work hard, for some just to actually take responsibility, that although you may not like something you may still have to complete the task at hand and so on.

yes we are on the same page here (Sorry to take your thread down a tangent Crown....but it has sparked some very interesting topics.)

There are a lot of kids being diagnosed with ADD today...that are being given medication to...calm them down.

I'll be flat out honest in stating that IMO the majority of these cases stem from a laziness on the parents side. Raising kids is not easy....you have to put skin in the game. And kids are going to be hyper by nature.

It is much easier to pop a pill into thier mouth to settle them down than it is to deal with them. This goes for schools and parents.

It stems from our fast food quick fix culture. And it is a travesty.

I own a LAB....it is a very very hyper breed of dog. Most people who own them will tell you this. They will tell you that if you can make it through the first 2-3 years with a Lab puppy that you will have the best dog for life. But I have yet to meet an owner who has advised me to give the dog downers.

Now...I am not equating people to animals.....quite the opposite. I am saying that we seem to treat our pets better than our own children in some cases.

Sometimes kids need a kick in the *** to keep them on the straight an narrow. Heck...I'm a middle aged adult and I still need a kick in the *** from time to time.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
(Sorry to take your thread down a tangent Crown....but it has sparked some very interesting topics.)

No problem, interesting stuff. However, if I come back this afternoon and see theology here, I will be VERY disappointed. ;)

Elastagirl

Reaction score
Hoov said:
You love to argue with me don't ya. Lol. uh regarding my past posts are you referring to the fact that i would understand drug and alcohol abuse ? and whats wrong with seeing a therapist ?

I used to go to one...along time ago when I couldnt understand w/ having so much why was my life so darn miserable...I kept expecting someone to fix my screwed up life...and thats something another human cant do. Not to mention for me, having a party scene going on in the background....I never had the courage to fess up when he asked as he was writing out more meds if I was doing other things. The vast majority isnt going to fess up to that I dont think..as that completely incriminates you and you wont get those meds....so in the end I got so messed up w/ that..it was my own fault but the dr. really wanted to write me a prescription for everything and in the end I was on so much xanix I was worse off then when I started! Now the medical thing though is not a bad idea especially since w/ insomnia that can wreck your whole day...also w/exercise it can do alot to help you sleep and up your spirits... certainly underlying medical conditions can cause someone to be bummed out...

But I think Crown is completely normal and described what a majority of the kids I knew in college went through. ...

reminds me of:

...that what I wish to do I can not do...Oh who will deliver me from this body of death?

Elastagirl

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
No problem, interesting stuff. However, if I come back this afternoon and see theology here, I will be VERY disappointed. ;)

Is this coming from the guy that after the theology thread was closed had to go and start a new one?? :) ha~

Hoov

Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:
you "like Coke...but don't drink soda." :)

I have seen therapy destroy lifes. I have seen strung out patients going to thier shrink for thier next fix. I believe that there are therapists who prescribe medication for the primary purpose that it is how they make a living.

I also see this more and more with Primary Care providers....you go in with an issue and they prescribe you the latest medicine. The majority of Doctors don't treat the problem, they treat the symptom.

I am sure that there are good doctors out there....but I am also sure that there are bad doctors. And IMO you play russian roulette if you start taking the first pill that is handed to you....especially as it relates to phsychotic medications.

Just my opinion.

And yes...I like to argue.....but I do feel passion for Crown in this situation...and he is obviously going to weight the advice that he is given here....or he would not have asked.

Everyone that goes to see a therapist does not end up on meds, and there are therapists that are not phsychiatrists, most counselors/therapists can't prescribe meds anyway. psychologist, social workers and RN's make up a large % of therapists and they cannot rx meds. its good to talk openly with someone that has expertise if he have some issues to discuss.

Oh and by the way, i do party here and there but it is more like a special occasion with an old friend than a regular thing for me. and far as a few beers or some wine in the evening, yes i enjoy that several times/week and hardly think i am the only one on this forum that does. but i don't consider it abuse and there are no issues at my job. if anything i'm working too much as i do several side jobs (construction/remodeling) in addition to my regular work in the field of health care.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jterrell said:
He doesn't have ADD when the girls in bikinis run by.
LOL.

Well... even ADD can't control core priorities... :D

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Hoov said:
Oh and by the way, i do party here and there but it is more like a special occasion with an old friend than a regular thing for me. and far as a few beers or some wine in the evening, yes i enjoy that several times/week and hardly think i am the only one on this forum that does. but i don't consider it abuse and there are no issues at my job. if anything i'm working too much as i do several side jobs (construction/remodeling) in addition to my regular work in the field of health care.

I am glad to hear that. And for what it's worth...I don't see any of the specifics that you described above (occasional beer and wine) as a problem either. But that is just my opinion.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Real quick - I don't think I qualify for ADD, at least as I understand it. I am not fidgety, I am good at concentration, etc. The problem is getting TO the things themselves. I don't organize time well, I put things off and put them off, and am slothful. Maybe chem imbalance, but I don't see myself as an ADD candidate.

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Real quick - I don't think I qualify for ADD, at least as I understand it. I am not fidgety, I am good at concentration, etc. The problem is getting TO the things themselves. I don't organize time well, I put things off and put them off, and am slothful. Maybe chem imbalance, but I don't see myself as an ADD candidate.

They have a technical term for it...... Procrastinator :D

I suffer from the same disease.

Discipline is the word to focus on :)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:

Really? My good ol pap has just always called a lazy arse.....I always thought that was the technical term.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:

LOL...yes I am bad about that about many things.

Ohh...I will cut the grass tomorrow honey and so on.

:D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Mike 1967 said:

I have it too... and one of these days I'm gonna do something about it...

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike 1967 said:

Proscratination in my family is considered a genetic deficiency and depending on the parent you're talking to at the moment, you blame it on the other side...lol

Mike 1967

Reaction score
Crown...by the looks of it, the world seems to be full of lazy arse procrastinators.....now get to work :D

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Proscratination in my family is considered a genetic deficiency and depending on the parent you're talking to at the moment, you blame it on the other side...lol

family trait here too... however, it only runs in the blood of the male members of the family and the only cure is a skillet to the side of the head.... :laugh2:

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
A common theme to most Procrastinators is the need for pressure to perform at a high level. I think a lot of advice given here is great but in the end I think your change has to come from within. Until you have a sense of urgency you will continue to fall into your cycle of starting off good and fading.

Coincidentally I am the same way. When I was an undergrad I didn't give a dam about school, only football. Now I live with the regret of not fulfilling my academic potential and that is what drives me to do well in pursuing my second masters. You need to find a short-term purpose or a reason to do well and make sure you list your goals via a check sheet or some type of visual aid to monitor your progress. You should make sure the checklist is in a place where you have to see it daily. Again all the advice in the world won't mean a hill of beans until you take it upon yourself to do well, be discipline, and to put forward the necessary effort to reach your full potential. I can tell you this, life don’t get any easier when you get older especially when have more than yourself depending on you. That’s my $0.02.

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
A common theme to most Procrastinators is the need for pressure to perform at a high level. I think a lot of advice given here is great but in the end I think your change has to come from within. Until you have a sense of urgency you will continue to fall into your cycle of starting off good and fading.

Coincidentally I am the same way. When I was an undergrad I didn't give a dam about school, only football. Now I live with the regret of not fulfilling my academic potential and that is what drives me to do well in pursuing my second masters. You need to find a short-term purpose or a reason to do well and make sure you list your goals via a check sheet or some type of visual aid to monitor your progress. You should make sure the checklist is in a place where you have to see it daily. Again all the advice in the world won't mean a hill of beans until you take it upon yourself to do well, be discipline, and to put forward the necessary effort to reach your full potential. I can tell you this, life don’t get any easier when you get older especially when have more than yourself depending on you. That’s my $0.02.

most valuable $0.02 that I've seen in some time

And who says you can't get your moneys worth and then some