Instrumental Music

triplets_93

Reaction score
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad: Soundtrack - Overture / The Duel with the Skeleton / Baghdad ~ Bernard Herrmann Conducting

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hans Zimmer's Pirates of the Caribbean is pretty special.

My problem with films scores is when I listen, I have to now watch the movie.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Inspired from the movie Excalibur: Wagner - Siegfried's Funeral Music (George Szell - Cleveland Orchestra) from the Opera Gotterdammerung

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
I have always been drawn to instrumental music since I first got into music. The Ventures were my favorite band, Duane Eddy my favorite guitarist, along with Chet Atkins, and Sandy Nelson, my favorite drummer. I bought their albums when 45's were the thing.

I was an easy sell on Classical music when introduced to that by my wife when we first started dating which would evolve into a love for film scores by John Williams, James Newton Howard, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, Howard Shore. Basil Poledaris and this generation's Wagner, Hans Zimmer.

So, I have rekindled that passion with new artists and bands that capture the essence of music for me, the music itself. And as I continue this search I am on the lookout for more and looking for recommendations.

My current favs are: the incomparable Explosions in the Sky, Collapse Under the Empire, Tycho, Ratatat, Above and Beyond, Eric Prydz which encompasses organic music as well as electronica. I also love Shoegaze and that ethereal use of voices as instruments.

I think film scoring is an art unto itself and am amazed at how good these composers are but one stands out above all others to me in capturing the feel of a place. If you have ever been out in West Texas and just gazed on the vastness and seemingly emptiness of it, Explosions in the Sky captured that for the film "Friday Night Lights". It is amazing blend of emotion with music and sets a tone for a film that completes it. Neither could exist without the other.

So whachyagot in the way of instrumental music to suggest?

Percy Faith

sulu1701

Reaction score
I like a wide range of music, and one of my fav. types of music is Jazz, like The Yellow Jackets, Dave Koz, and Down To The Bone to name a few, this is a kool tune imo