Intelligence was the difference today.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Call it intelligence. Call it football acumen. Call it discipline. Call it whatever you want but the reality of today's game won't change: The smarter team won. Period.

Sadly, the mental errors on this team are pervasive and not relegated to any one specific unit. From the 12 men on defense penalty to the breakdowns on special teams to the offense's inability to execute, I'm baffled by the basic mistakes this team commits and the wounds it continues to inflict upon itself...especially on offense. At this point in the season, how can there be so much confusion over where the receivers are supposed to be when Romo throws the ball? It's December people, not August. All the pointing and perplexed looks after plays is inexplicable and inexcusable yet all too familiar.

The Cowboys have been thwarted by their own stupidity for over 12 years now. It's chronic, and as I've asserted in other postings, it starts at the top with ownership.

The Cowboys lost this game in the worst possible way. It was heart-wrenching and devastating, and I wonder if the Cowboys have the emotional and intellectual fortitude to recover. In all honesty, I would be surprised if they made the playoffs.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Great post. I don't know how you can't count to 11, line up on your side of the ball...or call a timeout TWICE when you don't have one.

The stupidity of this team is beyond anything I've ever seen.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Dumb players do dumb things....the Cowboys don't pay much attention to intelligence when scouting players.

Reaction score
Future;2470003 said:
Great post. I don't know how you can't count to 11, line up on your side of the ball...or call a timeout TWICE when you don't have one.

Won't ever change until Jerry decides to let someone coach who makes the players...and coaches...accountable.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2469981 said:
Call it intelligence. Call it football acumen. Call it discipline. Call it whatever you want but the reality of today's game won't change: The smarter team won. Period.

Sadly, the mental errors on this team are pervasive and not relegated to any one specific unit. From the 12 men on defense penalty to the breakdowns on special teams to the offense's inability to execute, I'm baffled by the basic mistakes this team commits and the wounds it continues to inflict upon itself...especially on offense. At this point in the season, how can there be so much confusion over where the receivers are supposed to be when Romo throws the ball? It's December people, not August. All the pointing and perplexed looks after plays is inexplicable and inexcusable yet all too familiar.

The Cowboys have been thwarted by their own stupidity for over 12 years now. It's chronic, and as I've asserted in other postings, it starts at the top with ownership.

The Cowboys lost this game in the worst possible way. It was heart-wrenching and devastating, and I wonder if the Cowboys have the emotional and intellectual fortitude to recover. In all honesty, I would be surprised if they made the playoffs.

Well funny how despite going 13-3 last year that was the same concern and the team shot it's self in the foot in the playoffs. This year the spill over effect has caused even more damage and the foundation that was laid is starting to show signs of cracks.

Look at the head Coach and remember this is his 3rd gig and the other two places his teams had the same issues.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
My God. How intelligent were we when we went up 13-3, and then just gave them the football on 3-outs and "inexplicable" ;) ;) overthrows by Romo?

Whatever. Justice is dead.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Kangaroo;2470048 said:
Well funny how despite going 13-3 last year that was the same concern and the team shot it's self in the foot in the playoffs. This year the spill over effect has caused even more damage and the foundation that was laid is starting to show signs of cracks.

Look at the head Coach and remember this is his 3rd gig and the other two places his teams had the same issues.

I assert the Cowboys have had these same issues for the past 12 years, regardless of who was head coach. Over that time, coaches have changed; schemes have changed; and, the roster has been completely overhauled. There's only been one consistency: The Owner.

It's baffling that an owner could so profoundly and thoroughly impact his team's play, but it seems undeniable at this point.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
How do you get a delay of game when you're running a hurry-up offense? How do you have 12 men on the field.....EVER? Why does a guy like Ellis line-up offsides? Why is there two MAJOR communication issues between the QB and TE with the game on the line? Is it lack of intelligence? I wish I knew

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
It's not a matter of being stupid, the defense was dominant for the majority of the game and we didn't have a lot of penalties. The timeouts we spent in the first half didn't hurt us. We lost the game in the 4th quarter and because of early turnovers in addition to spotty play calling. Choice had a beast of a day, most teams would have turned that into a win but we let it slip away. It happens.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2470051 said:
My God. How intelligent were we when we went up 13-3, and then just gave them the football on 3-outs and "inexplicable" ;) ;) overthrows by Romo?

Whatever. Justice is dead.

The manner in which a team plays when holding a lead is one indicator of football intelligence, in my opinion. Even dumb teams can take a lead during games. The important question is, how does the team handle the lead?

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Future;2470003 said:

Another issue is our lack of timeouts in crucial moments. Wade is overzealous in some of his challenges, in my opinion.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The offense plays with no tempo...constantly in a battle with the play clock to get the ball off.
That twelve men on the field call was comical.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2470290 said:
Another issue is our lack of timeouts in crucial moments. Wade is overzealous in some of his challenges, in my opinion.

Didn't we have three tiem outs going into our two minute drill?

newlander

Reaction score
Great Posts gents. Bad coaching, undisciplined QB play get the most talented teams in the world beat.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
TheCount;2470313 said:
Didn't we have three tiem outs going into our two minute drill?

Yup...and they blew one on a dead ball because apparently the offense needs more than forth seconds to figure out a play.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
That 12 men on the field was an embarassment. Good teams dont get such ******** penalties called against them.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2470153 said:
I assert the Cowboys have had these same issues for the past 12 years, regardless of who was head coach. Over that time, coaches have changed; schemes have changed; and, the roster has been completely overhauled. There's only been one consistency: The Owner.

It's baffling that an owner could so profoundly and thoroughly impact his team's play, but it seems undeniable at this point.
:hammer:
I've been making this argument on this forum for almost 2 years now, i'm glad I am not the only one that believes this way. To those who have argued for or in favor of Jerry, i'm just a idiot with an agenda! Anyone who won't come to the conclusion that Jones is the common denominator to this teams underachieving performance since the '96 and to a lesser degree back to '94 from there have had too much Jethro spiked Cowboy punch!

I suspect they don't want to face that reality because Jethro will always be running this organization and nothing can be done about him.

Everson24

Reaction score
Oh_Canada;2470024 said:
Dumb players do dumb things....the Cowboys don't pay much attention to intelligence when scouting players.
Landry paid special attention to intelligence. This is the dumbest team we have ever had. Tom landry is probably rolling over in his grave.

links18

Reaction score
I know the solution to this team's lack of intelligence, focus and discipline: give them more time off! Jerry approves. :banghead: