Intelligence was the difference today.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Future;2470003 said:
Great post. I don't know how you can't count to 11, line up on your side of the ball...or call a timeout TWICE when you don't have one.

The stupidity of this team is beyond anything I've ever seen.

It makes you appreciate those Jimmy-Johnson Cowboys even more. Those teams were solid in every phase of the game and rarely ever made stupid mistakes.

I wish Johnson could somehow bottle that attitude and sell it to this current team.

The mistakes and mental lapses at non-crucial and crucial times are just mind-boggling.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2470290 said:
Another issue is our lack of timeouts in crucial moments. Wade is overzealous in some of his challenges, in my opinion.
Which would be a pretty good, if somewhat narrow, indicator of stupidity I suppose.

I don't think Jerry Jones makes this team stupid. I don't think we're perpetually unconcerned with intelligence. We've actually gotten a lot of talent over the years that appeared intelligent on the surface.

It's coaching. These guys are poorly coached.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;2471044 said:
Which would be a pretty good, if somewhat narrow, indicator of stupidity I suppose.

I don't think Jerry Jones makes this team stupid. I don't think we're perpetually unconcerned with intelligence. We've actually gotten a lot of talent over the years that appeared intelligent on the surface.

It's coaching. These guys are poorly coached.

In my opinion, the coaching is poor because the owner usurps the coach's power. The Cowboys have changed coaches four times over the past 12 years, and the results have changed very little, especially in the month of December.

Bill Parcells did not become a mediocre head coach over night. I'm starting to think the organization was weighing him down.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2471066 said:
Bill Parcells did not become a mediocre head coach over night. I'm starting to think the organization was weighing him down.

I agree.

My opinion is that Parcells probably wanted to protect Tony Romo similar to Phil Simms, Drew Bledsoe and Chad Pennington. He wanted to develop Romo to be a serviceable quarterback protected by a run-oriented offense.

But when Jerry Jones obtained T.O., that changed the Cowboys' offensive philosophy. Sooner or later, this was going to be a passing offense because of T.O.'s presence.

Out goes Parcells. In comes Wade Phillips. And when Jason Garrett comes, he turns over the reigns to Tony Romo. But for all his flash and dash and ability to make plays, Romo has A LOT of Brett Favre in him. That has to be coached out by emphasizing the run and minimizing Romo's throws and his ability to screw up.

The Cowboys have totally abandoned this approach, and now this offense runs through Romo. And I fear that he has not learned to resist the urge to force things because he is DA MAN and the commander of this offense.

And I suspect we're going to see more of the same - Tony Romo making brilliant plays to win games ... Tony Romo making bone-headed plays that lose games, especially when it comes to crunch time, i.e., December and the playoffs.

The worst thing that could have happened to Tony Romo was for him to develop too fast.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys;2470165 said:
How do you get a delay of game when you're running a hurry-up offense? How do you have 12 men on the field.....EVER? Why does a guy like Ellis line-up offsides? Why is there two MAJOR communication issues between the QB and TE with the game on the line? Is it lack of intelligence? I wish I knew

Why do some fans complain about irrelevant plays after we lose a game for completely different reasons?

I wish I knew.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Future;2470003 said:
Great post. I don't know how you can't count to 11, line up on your side of the ball...or call a timeout TWICE when you don't have one.

Thank you for bringing this up aboutthe 12 men, People are in here saying that this game isn't on Wade either, BS, it's on Wade and everyone else, especially wade....

How many times did the steelers have that middle zone open up for their receivers?

Answer: always

We are still getting offsides at the worst moments, it all starts up top with Bad coaching...

Special teams coach read SUCKS big time....

coaching coaching coaching....nuff said

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2471066 said:
In my opinion, the coaching is poor because the owner usurps the coach's power. The Cowboys have changed coaches four times over the past 12 years, and the results have changed very little, especially in the month of December.

Doesn't the GM hold power over the coach in every organization? Jerry isn't perfect, but this usurping of power is media generated myth.

So, now we're blaming Jerry for BP's lack of success? BP got continuously worse with each organization he coached. I'm not surprised at all that Bach agrees with you. I really fail to see how this loss is the fault of Jerry.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2471219 said:
Doesn't the GM hold power over the coach in every organization? Jerry isn't perfect, but this usurping of power is media generated myth.

So, now we're blaming Jerry for BP's lack of success? BP got continuously worse with each organization he coached. I'm not surprised at all that Bach agrees with you. I really fail to see how this loss is the fault of Jerry.

There should be no question whether or not Jerry gets blame for this organization's failure. He's the GM and the owner. He has the final say in all football decisions. Consequently, he shoulders more blame than any other person in this organization. This is the position Jerry wanted. This is the position Jerry got.

The Cowboys have been languishing in mediocrity and, worse yet, irrelevance for the past 12 years. That's more than enough time for any competent GM to build a team that, at the very least, is capable of winning a playoff game.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2471333 said:
There should be no question whether or not Jerry gets blame for this organization's failure. He's the GM and the owner. He has the final say in all football decisions. Consequently, he shoulders more blame than any other person in this organization.

The Cowboys have been languishing in mediocrity and, worse yet, irrelevance for the past 12 years. That's more than enough time for any competent GM to build a team that, at the very least, is capable of winning a playoff game.

I agree with this. But, the fact of the matter is, he has improved the organization, but still does not get credit for it. Were we not a SB contender last year? Aren't we one this year? The end result hasn't been what is expected, but to say that we aren't moving in the right direction and that it is still Jerry's fault that we aren't winning is suspect to me. We lost to a good team yesterday, with the #1 defense in the league, as a result of some home cooking refs and a really bad game by Romo. I still fail to see how this is the result of Jerry.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2471361 said:
I agree with this. But, the fact of the matter is, he has improved the organization, but still does not get credit for it. Were we not a SB contender last year? Aren't we one this year?

Legitimate Super Bowl contenders do not go one-and-done in the playoffs. Thirteen wins is nice; however, when thirteen regular season wins (without any playoff victories) is Jerry's crowning achievement since Jimmy departed, color me unimpressed.

The end result hasn't been what is expected, but to say that we aren't moving in the right direction and that it is still Jerry's fault that we aren't winning is suspect to me. We lost to a good team yesterday, with the #1 defense in the league, as a result of some home cooking refs and a really bad game by Romo. I still fail to see how this is the result of Jerry.
Well the end result is where legacies are forged and where GMs and owners are judged. And it's not as if Jerry's recent teams have been winning playoff games and coming up just a few plays short of accomplishing something truly substantive and meaningful.

I repeat: Twelve years have passed since the Cowboys last won a playoff game. The Cardinals (yes, THOSE Cardinals) have won more playoff games over that time period than the Dallas Cowboys...America's Team...the standard bearer in professional football. That's how far the Cowboys have fallen over the past decade.

You see improvement. I see a franchise with a proud, rich history driven into the ground and trying desperately to reemerge.

This loss did not occur vacuum. It was indicative of the team's failures dating back 12 years.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2471525 said:
Legitimate Super Bowl contenders do not go one-and-done in the playoffs. Thirteen wins is nice; however, when thirteen regular season wins (without any playoff victories) is Jerry's crowning achievement since Jimmy departed, color me unimpressed.

Well the end result is where legacies are forged and where GMs and owners are judged. And it's not as if Jerry's recent teams have been winning playoff games and coming up just a few plays short of accomplishing something truly substantive and meaningful.

I repeat: Twelve years have passed since the Cowboys last won a playoff game. The Cardinals (yes, THOSE Cardinals) have won more playoff games over that time period than the Dallas Cowboys...America's Team...the standard bearer in professional football. That's how far the Cowboys have fallen over the past decade.

You see improvement. I see a franchise with a proud, rich history driven into the ground and trying desperately to reemerge.

This loss did not occur vacuum. It was indicative of the team's failures dating back 12 years.
Bad habits sure are hard to break and so are death grips by bad/mediocre owners and GMs!

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Well, we're going to have to agree to disagree. He's not going anywhere as a GM. He's been bad as one, but he's progressively gotten better as one too. Even if he was the owner only, he would still have to hire a GM, and the end result would be he would get the blame for hiring the wrong one. We've been to the playoffs three times in the past twelve years, and the losses had nothing to do with Jerry meddling with the team. Chan Gailey lost to a lesser talented team, BP lost to one as well, and so did Wade.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Future;2470003 said:

Somebody sent Ball in...I'm putting $ on Brian Stewart

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2471550 said:
Bad habits sure are hard to break and so are death grips by bad/mediocre owners and GMs!

Indeed.

How tragic it would be if Jerry's legacy included a bunch of empty seats at the swan song of Texas stadium.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We do make too many mistakes. Today it wasn't penalties as much as turnovers. You cannot turn the ball over 5 times and expect to win. We had a great defensive effort that almost won the game despite the turnovers. No GM or coach is going to win consistently with excessive turnovers.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2471630 said:
Indeed.

How tragic it would be if Jerry's legacy included a bunch of empty seats at the swan song of Texas stadium.

I know I won't be going to it in this economy, I may not have a job to help support Jethro's hobby!