1. SPORGWIRE.com
    The best Sports Newswire on the internet!
    SPORGWIRE provides you with an easy way to keep up with the latest sports news,
    rumors, reviews, videos and more from sports sites all over the internet!
    Follow your favorite teams and sports leagues and
    the SPORGWIRE home page becomes your personal sports news site for the internet!
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting Emmitt Smith Fact

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by T-RO, Jul 8, 2018.

1. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

8,795 Messages
    6,787 Likes Received
    Most of us know that running backs don’t age well. Six years of premium productivity is usually the best you can expect.

The one guy we think of as an exception is Emmitt. Damn, the guy played 15 seasons!

Out of curiosity I wanted to work up some numbers. How did Emmitt do after his first six years in comparison to the earlier part of his career?

1990-1995...4.5 yards per carry...First 6 seasons
    1996-2004...3.9 yards per carry...Next 9 seasons

Hmmm....

Bullflop, lukin2006 and Melonfeud like this.
  2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

12,806 Messages
    7,104 Likes Received
    completely biased comparison. What did he do season 7-9? How about that?

JW82, NotForLong, JustChip and 8 others like this.
  3. Garrettop

Garrettop Well-Known Member

908 Messages
    1,703 Likes Received
    He was the entire offense for many of those later years. Hard to get yards in that position.

4. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

556 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Barry Sanders first 5 years: 4.7 ypa
    Barry Sanders final 5 years: 5.2 ypa

Huh...

Yeah, Barry probably wouldn't know anything about that.

5. RoboQB

RoboQB Well-Known Member

2,853 Messages
    3,499 Likes Received
    Probably not fair to include those last two years on a terrible Cardinals team
    who had one of the worst offensive lines in the league.

6. Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy Well-Known Member

720 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    Smiths years 7-11 his YPC average was 4.1, still very good on some very bad teams and in year 7 he had a bad season as far as YPC goes he only averaged 3.7 but in years 8-11 he averaged 4.1, 4.2, 4.2 and 4.1, solid numbers

7. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

27,046 Messages
    21,759 Likes Received
    All I know is Emmitt helped us win 3 SB's and is the best RB in NFL history.
    Any stats, no matter how they are figured, 5 years, 8 years, 10 years. Missed 2 games and most of a 3rd game in 1993, but yet still won the rushing title.
    But in the end it all adds up to 18,355 yards, 164 TD's, 515 receptions for 3224 yards and 11 TD's, 3 SB wins

Thomas82, robbieruff, lane and 25 others like this.
  8. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

8,733 Messages
    3,281 Likes Received
    Someone could argue that someone else was a better pure RB but Emmitt is one of the all time greatest players at any position.

9. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

27,046 Messages
    21,759 Likes Received
    Yes they always argue that. However, RB means RB, as in what do you do to help your TEAM. So throw out that pure RB crap.
    Maybe say "Barry" was a better runner...because of more speed, more elusive. But he also lost a lot of yards, it was his long runs that made up for it.

However, he could not do all what Emmitt could do, so yes Emmitt was the better RB.

10. Northern_Cowboy

Northern_Cowboy Well-Known Member

720 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    They were both great, too bad people just can't leave it like that

11. Idgit

Idgit Riding the Red Rocket Staff Member

52,633 Messages
    47,885 Likes Received
    YPC tends to go up when you’re off the field in short yardage.
    Also, when you quit at the end of your career.

And let’s not pretend Sanders didn’t have any support on those DET offenses, while were at it.

12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

13,540 Messages
    7,807 Likes Received
    Barry has -952 career rushing yards. He did know about winning in the postseason or stepping up his game for the playoff's. He was 1-6 in postseason play and scored 1 TD. He sucked outdoors.

"In four career outdoor postseason games, Sanders averaged a paltry 2.8 yards per carry. He never scored a touchdown. And he never ran for more than 65 yards in a single game. With Sanders, the Lions went 0-4 in outdoor playoff games, losing by an average of 17 points."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Cover 2, blueblood70, guag and 9 others like this.
  13. GenoT

GenoT Well-Known Member

1,463 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Throw out Emmitt’s Cardinals years and then post your numbers. And keep in mind, even without those 2 AZ seasons, a 13yr NFL career is almost unheard of for a workhorse RB in the modern era.

14. Trouty

Trouty Randy Gregory 94 Zone Supporter

30,720 Messages
    77,447 Likes Received
    @Aerolithe_Lion post from another thread, folks. An Eagles fan:

“I'm the cheetah following the pack. I'll pick out your weak and show them to you so you can take note. Some of you won't like it, but hopefully you respect what I'm doing.”

Just want to put this out there for you Cowboys fans. He’s gonna “pick out members here and show us who’s weak.”

Ok Eagles fan. We’re shaking in our boots. Way to make a first impression on a rival team’s board...

15. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid Zone Supporter

8,759 Messages
    9,515 Likes Received
    Sealed himself as the NFL's all-time leading rusher......next question

Falco78, gjkoeppen, cowboyec and 7 others like this.
  16. Aviano90

Aviano90 Proud DC.com Reject Zone Supporter

4,639 Messages
    6,983 Likes Received
    Any particular reason we should be interested in this Emmitt Smith stat?

17. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

12,806 Messages
    7,104 Likes Received
    Looking for average per carry numbers

18. Trouty

Trouty Randy Gregory 94 Zone Supporter

30,720 Messages
    77,447 Likes Received
    I'd have to think any HB with even the remote amount of longevity as Emmitt, and as his age climbed, would have similar declines in YPC, unless your name was John Riggins (age-wise for him, not longevity/tangent:he is a pure outlier of the finest).

Brown and Barry didn't play long enough to see their YPC drop. We're seeing it now with AD.

Falco78, cowboyec, Zekeats and 13 others like this.
  19. Aerolithe_Lion

Aerolithe_Lion Well-Known Member

556 Messages
    488 Likes Received

My comment has 4 likes, your retort has two. I have more faith in the Cowboys zone community than to simply label posters as this or that negative connotation. Take the post as it is. If you like it, like it. If you don’t, that’s okay too.

You can paint me however you like, but I’m not trying to force my comment as truth. Just asking that you recognize them as facts.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    Afigueroa22 likes this.
  20. Super_Kazuya

Super_Kazuya Well-Known Member

4,628 Messages
    4,647 Likes Received
    Most people when they retire, a side effect of that is that they do quit. Not sure what the point is.

Melonfeud likes this.