Interesting fact...if

Chuck 54

Reaction score
it is a fact.

I watched Sunday's game 8 online Sunday and listened to the radio broadcast. The announcer on the broadcast made a very interesting statement...I don't know if it is correct or not, but it certainly was interesting.

The announcer said:

Having examined the stats after game 7, before the TB game, despite the Dallas struggles all year on defense and recently on offense, almost all stats on offense and defense were so close as to be almost identical to our stats last year after 7 games....except for one.

The one stat that was wayyyyyy off was the turnover ratio.

If that is correct, it can mean a lot of things...Romo was a little more careless with the ball on offense early; the defense wasn't getting the breaks on fumbles, etc. etc.

It could also indicate that our perceived offensive struggles this year had more to do with turning the ball over than actual execution or game-planning.

It could also mean that we overlooked some of our defense's struggles last year because we were getting turnovers, not putting them in as bad a position due to our own turnovers, and because we were winning.

I don't really know what it means...but I found it interesting considering I perceived our performance last year through 7 to be so much better than this year, but the stats, other than turnover ratio, do not support that view.

Discussion?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Turnovers are an important aspect that we have been missing out on. With the secondary that we thought we had when the season first started, I thought we would create turnovers of Madden rookie level proportions. However, it hasn't materialized yet...Henry has been exactly that; a has been. Newman showed up only to get burnt against the Commanders and out again. Pacman got suspended....again. Now our 4th, 5th, and 6th string corners are now starting.

I am interested to see where we sit in the turnover ratio. I would imagine we are something like -8 in the turnover ratio.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
wayne motley;2379282 said:
it is a fact.

I watched Sunday's game 8 online Sunday and listened to the radio broadcast. The announcer on the broadcast made a very interesting statement...I don't know if it is correct or not, but it certainly was interesting.

The announcer said:

Having examined the stats after game 7, before the TB game, despite the Dallas struggles all year on defense and recently on offense, almost all stats on offense and defense were so close as to be almost identical to our stats last year after 7 games....except for one.

If that is correct, it can mean a lot of things...Romo was a little more careless with the ball on offense early; the defense wasn't getting the breaks on fumbles, etc. etc.

It could also indicate that our perceived offensive struggles this year had more to do with turning the ball over than actual execution or game-planning.

It could also mean that we overlooked some of our defense's struggles last year because we were getting turnovers, not putting them in as bad a position due to our own turnovers, and because we were winning.

I don't really know what it means...but I found it interesting considering I perceived our performance last year through 7 to be so much better than this year, but the stats, other than turnover ratio, do not support that view.

Discussion?

It is also maybe that the Ints that people caught are not being caught. Like yesterday, I thought Cowboys had a chance of couple of Ints. But just missed them.

It happened in other games too. So maybe, like coaches say, they will come in bunches sometimes. Which might balance out the Turnover ratio. But Romo has fumbled or lost more fumbles than last year. Same with Marion Barber. Thats been the difference.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
The one stat that was wayyyyyy off was the turnover ratio.[/B]

That's not it. There was a discussion about Romo's tendencies about a week and a half ago, and he apparently had had the same number (or one less IIRC) of turnovers as he had at this time last year....only they were flip flopped from more fumbles to more INTs or vice versa.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Defensively, we are on a pace to set a new league record for fewest INT's in a season. We may also set a new record for fewest takeaways.

Fewest takeaways in a season: 15
Cowboys 2008 pace: 16

Fewest interceptions: 5
Cowboys 2008 pace: 4

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
it is a fact.

The announcer said:

Discussion?

The defense started out poorly. Giants 35 points week one. It got better as the year went on. We also played one of the most prolific offenses in history week 6 and got lit up.