Interesting nugget from Viking's Safety Harris Smith on Zim's coaching style

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Michael Irvin isn't walking through that door. Emmitt Smith isn't walking through that door. Troy Aikman isn't walking through that door. Jimmy Johnson isn't walking through that door. Stop trying to reinvent the 90s Cowboys.

jujoboys

Reaction score
He had me at "Darren Woodson". I am firmly on the Zimmer bandwagon now. Plus I visited an Eagles' forum and Zimmer seems like the overwhelming choice they don't want Dallas to make.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have zero doubts about this but the “acquired taste” part is not something that can be just glossed over, there’s a real chance a locker room or guys tune him out or don’t like playing for him. Not saying it’s right, not saying it’ll definitely happen but there is a chance that style doesn’t resonate right now.
It might be more of an issue as a head coach than a DC.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Michael Irvin isn't walking through that door. Emmitt Smith isn't walking through that door. Troy Aikman isn't walking through that door. Jimmy Johnson isn't walking through that door. Stop trying to reinvent the 90s Cowboys.
Zimmer's credentials went well beyond the 90's Cowboys. Guy has 27 years of NFL coaching experience and 8 years NFL Head Coaching experience. Numerous years leading Top 5 and Top 10 NFL defenses. McCarthy is fighting for his coaching life so he probably wants someone like Zimmer with lots of successful years running an NFL defense. McCarthy can't afford to roll the dice on a young guy.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I have heard this about Zimmer. He is not trying to make friends with players and some may not like his style. I wonder if this would be too much of a contract with Quinn's style for some players.
I haven't done the research but I wonder if successive coordinators tend to be opposite in style. Almost like you need the gear-change of style periodically before you get too far into comfort or frustration.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Its always been Zim. All the Jerrah fluff about swinging for fences is just that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zimmer is the last guy connected to the 1995 team that won our last SB. Problem is, he's old, and hasn't done anything since. Not sure he's the answer.

MS17

Reaction score
Direct hit. A whole lot better than I could say it. If only Ol' Jerruh would listen. His money, his team. We know...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Zimmer is a complete jerk but that is OK by me in a 1 year win it all or blow it up scenario.

Long-term they need a DC who knows how to stop modern offenses.
Anyone but Rivera man.
(I said this about Parsons too for context lol so kanye shrug)

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not saying Zimmer is my guy, but he's a great defensive mind and a helluva coach. If not somebody from the Belichick tree, we could do alot worse than Mike Zimmer.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It might be more of an issue as a head coach than a DC.
Maybe but idk…seems to me if the defense doesn’t buy in and gives lackluster effort or tunes him out we’d be in big trouble.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Can he make in game adjustments , please sign him up

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
yeah we'll fall in love then by week 6 we'll call his defense trash
Might be the opposite. Whoever the defensive coordinator is will run things differently than Quinn's. Historically, Zimmer's defenses improve dramatically in the second season under him if I remember correctly. Might start off a little slowly if he's the coach ... of course, that is the way it often works unless the defense was so bad that it had nowhere to go but up.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I have heard this about Zimmer. He is not trying to make friends with players and some may not like his style. I wonder if this would be too much of a contract with Quinn's style for some players.
Maybe that contrast is exactly what is needed, DQ's defense committed way too many penalties and stupid mistakes.