Twitter: Interesting take on Garrett by Broaddus

MikeB80

Reaction score
Considering that was the way he "sold" Garrett as an HC back when he fired Wade, it makes sense.

The OFFENSE was pathetic the first half of the season Wade was fired, but all of a sudden they were good again when Garrett took over to and that equated to Jason being a "great HC".

Plus, if somehow the team catches fire going into the playoffs and wins a couple, Jerry may still be able to keep his adopted son as HC.

the defense is what was bad. The offense left the field with leads vs minnesota, tennessee and ny. The defense kept giving up games.

The offense under kitna vs jax and gb was horrible.

The defense played better after the switch under paul pasqualoni. He switched from a ton of man coverage and bringing pressure to a lot of zone and rushing four and it helped.

They went 5-3 and should have been 6-2 because they had new orleans beat and Roy Williams fumbled and the saints picked it up and went down and then scored. Williams only had to fall down and they could have run out the clock but he fumbled trying to score.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

If it didn’t come from Bryan Broaddus, I’d have written this off to comedy. So now he thinks that Jerry is afraid that Richard might actually save this season and then he’d be stuck with him? Really?

:facepalm:

Keep in mind this comes from someone who worked at the Star for the past four years.

But Bryan is a joke....

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah, JG did that after wade was fire and it solidified him as the new head coach. If this is the reason JJ is keeping him then I'm all for it.

Garrett was hired as HC before Jerry even chose Wade as the stop gap for defense.

khiladi

Reaction score
Considering that was the way he "sold" Garrett as an HC back when he fired Wade, it makes sense.

The OFFENSE was pathetic the first half of the season Wade was fired, but all of a sudden they were good again when Garrett took over to and that equated to Jason being a "great HC".

Plus, if somehow the team catches fire going into the playoffs and wins a couple, Jerry may still be able to keep his adopted son as HC.

they really weren’t. Dallas beat up on bad teams and the defense actually generated like over 20 TOs in the last half of the season. Stylistically though, Dallas did shift its philosophy of ‘protecting the ball’, by running a lot more, while Kitna was himself a TO machine.

khiladi

Reaction score
he was in the building every day and got stuff wrong everyday. He got people all riled up back in 2013 saying he was told garrett would not be brought back if they lost to the Commanders. He gets all this kind of stuff wrong.

To be fair, Dallas brought in Linehan and Jerry completely removed Garrett from play-calling and said he wouldn’t be touching the offense and his role would be ambiguous.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

If it didn’t come from Bryan Broaddus, I’d have written this off to comedy. So now he thinks that Jerry is afraid that Richard might actually save this season and then he’d be stuck with him? Really?

Keep in mind this comes from someone who worked at the Star for the past four years.

It sounds so ridiculous that it’s completely believable coming from Jerruh.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Any genius that speaks in a monotone will do. :D
VSTsGpg.png

MikeB80

Reaction score
To be fair, Dallas brought in Linehan and Jerry completely removed Garrett from play-calling and said he wouldn’t be touching the offense and his role would be ambiguous.

yes and linehan worked well. He knew to lean on the running game and everyone freaked out.

also, the year before bill callahan was calling the offense and was calling more of what he wanted, that is why the 13 offense had more of a sideways-west coast feel to it. Garrett couldn't have that and must have thrown a fit and callahan wanted out and he left as soon as he could.

khiladi

Reaction score
yes and linehan worked well. He knew to lean on the running game and everyone freaked out.

also, the year before bill callahan was calling the offense and was calling more of what he wanted, that is why the 13 offense had more of a sideways-west coast feel to it. Garrett couldn't have that and must have thrown a fit and callahan wanted out and he left as soon as he could.

Yep, the point is, Jerry has done everything to protect his boy, meaning Jason is in a unique position in this organization, through his father and family connections apparently. The ONLY reason he has survived this long is because of this connection. Even in the case of Linehan, he still maintained Jason whole stating they don’t want him touching the offense and would he in an ambiguous role.

There is clearly something we aren’t privy to with this relationship, otherwise Jerry has had no problems letting coaches go.

JustChip

Reaction score
Cower? Jimmy Johnson? Urban Meyer?
Jimmy would not do it. He’s a Demi-God here and there’s no way to improve on that. There’s more chance he would diminish his legacy. I’m not a college football fan so I can’t comment on Urban. I would absolutely loooooove having Cower. I don’t think he would do it without having total control which is the most important facet for any coach that comes here.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Yep, the point is, Jerry has done everything to protect his boy, meaning Jason is in a unique position in this organization, through his father and family connections apparently. The ONLY reason he has survived this long is because of this connection. Even in the case of Linehan, he still maintained Jason whole stating they don’t want him touching the offense and would he in an ambiguous role.

There is clearly something we aren’t privy to with this relationship, otherwise Jerry has had no problems letting coaches go.

I agree no question. Jason Garrett fired his brother because Jerry told him to because martellus bennett was not producing or behaving how they wanted. He will fire anyone and pass the blame to anyone.

Jerry said in the post game PC the other day that he has lived this entire football life with garrett. I think that is what it is, he just can't accept reality that garrett can't do this and move on. he has an emotional attachment in a business where you can't.

in the end, Jason Garrett called out tavon austin on the radio that monday morning after the vikings game and I bet that cost him his locker room and that is what is going to cost him his job finally. That tavon austin fair catch could be the best thing to happen in a long time if the right hire is made. Then again we are probably getting some terrible hire so it will go back to the campo years.

khiladi

Reaction score
I agree no question. Jason Garrett fired his brother because Jerry told him to because martellus bennett was not producing or behaving how they wanted. He will fire anyone and pass the blame to anyone.

Jerry said in the post game PC the other day that he has lived this entire football life with garrett. I think that is what it is, he just can't accept reality that garrett can't do this and move on. he has an emotional attachment in a business where you can't.

in the end, Jason Garrett called out tavon austin on the radio that monday morning after the vikings game and I bet that cost him his locker room and that is what is going to cost him his job finally. That tavon austin fair catch could be the best thing to happen in a long time if the right hire is made. Then again we are probably getting some terrible hire so it will go back to the campo years.

The thing about John Garrett is Jerry didn’t even sell it as a firing, but John came out with a statement he was leaving, because of wanting pursue other opportunities. Jerry basically protected his reputation, while He axed a whole bunch of other position coaches like Skip Peete, so even this was a clear example of the Garrett ties within the organization.

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the Jerry move would actually be to fire him now. Ive done a 180 on this.

Reason being, playoffs =$$$.

Right now we are on a 3-6 skid. While the Eagles havent been very good, there is a very good chance they catch us. This team has played below its capabilities. We have seen this team beat good teams, both in the regular and in the playoffs (ok....once lol). Firing Garrett now could be the only way to rally this team to at least a respectable finish

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Broman, there’s a list longer than Schindler’s of the many things Broaddus has gotten wrong over the years. In fairness, he didn’t pass it along as rock solid info but more of his opinion.

I can already imagine what Broaddus will day after we hire some coaching retread “folks, I had it wrong...I really thought Jerry would go after a bigger name...”