Twitter: Interesting tidbit about Cowboys players

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Having the most drafted players and/or undrafted rookies signed by you still in the league means someone, or lots of someones, are doing something right. They deserve the benefit of the doubt on draft day as opposed to meaningless rankings put out by whoever.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having the most drafted players and/or undrafted rookies signed by you still in the league means someone, or lots of someones, are doing something right. They deserve the benefit of the doubt on draft day as opposed to meaningless rankings put out by whoever.
I think this is absolutely true, but just playing devil's advocate, I can imagine one way in which it could be a bad thing.
I can imagine a team that makes "safer" picks in the later rounds, guys with high floors but low ceilings, who are more likely to stick in the NFL as backups but less likely to become stars. I don't have any reason to believe the Cowboys tend that way, just noodling.

I do think the Cowboys are an appealing destination for undrafted free agents (a la Romo taking less money to come here over Denver), which is a built-in advantage unrelated to personnel evaluation. But it still means the team is doing something right.

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Ravens have been universally lauded for their drafting acumen for years, particularly when Ozzie Newsome was there. The Patriots have historically been pick accumulators, routinely having a dozen or more picks in the draft. Not sure about the others. But to be that far ahead of even the Ravens is impressive.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This is why I'm OK with the Trey Lance trade. If McClay had a hand in it, I trust him and that it was a good move for the team.
Both McClay and McCarthy had huge roles in the trade for Trey Lance, even though Jerry didn't consult with either one of them when San Francisco called. It was the past recommendations of McClay an McCarthy that convince Jerry it was a good trade. He didn't need to ask them at the moment the 49ers called, because they had already expressed their opinions about Lance in the 2021 NFL draft. Jerry came right out and said that it was the 2021 draft evaluation of Lance that he relied upon to inform the trade. His only other concern was the health of Lance.

Go back and listen to what Jerry said after the trade. He explicitly states is was Lance's draft grades that caused him to pull the trigger. Who did the draft grading? McClay and McCarthy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think more evidence is needed to understand what this really means. For instance, my theory for Dallas having a higher draft success rate (as measured by roster retention) than other teams is that it is tied to the Cowboys limited or ineffective use of free agency. If you are bringing in cheap players who fail more often than succeed, then you are more likely to keep a mediocre draft pick over that cheap FA. Instead of cutting a mediocre draft pick, we keep him because we have nothing better.

Of course, to prove that theory, I'd have to do a roster comparison that I'm too busy and too lazy to perform.