Interesting Tidbit on Parsons

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
To quibble over something minor but he graduated in 3.5 years, not 3. He enrolled early at PSU in Jan of 2018 so he took classes that spring as well as in the summer before the other frosh ever set foot on campus.

Given that the national rate for undergrads graduating on time (i.e. 4 years) is 41%, I’d say Parsons was still way ahead of the curve.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I have Farley ahead of Parsons, but see both players on the same level. Both are new to the position and need a little development, experience, but they have huge upside potential. It wouldn't surprise me if either made it to pick #10, due to all the top end offensive talent this year.
Agreed. I like Farley a lot. I keep going back and forth with him and surtain. I do think if Farley played and played well he’d be 1 at cb.

J-man

Reaction score
I've posted this before, as a life long resident of the Harrisburg PA area, where he grew up, I have seen him play and heard news about him since he was a kid. I was very concerned when PSU (my favorite college) offered him a scholarship because he was very immature and didn't do very well in school. That showed up early in his career at PSU as the allegations suggest. However, since that time I have heard nothing but praise coming from people who are in the know. The reports are that he put his head down and straitened up his life. The birth of his son has given him a desire to succeed. Him graduating early is evidence of that.

Should we take him at 10 if available? I'm not sure. I think the guy can be a great NFL player in the right system. But I'm also not sure if he will be exactly what we need comparable to other team needs at this time.

817Gill

Reaction score
I hear you, but the talent drop off from Parsons to a 2nd tier or 3rd tier LB is immense. We know this front office loves those elite athletes. If Bolton had his physical traits, he would go top 3 in this draft.
You’ve said it yourself but Parson being new to the position really affects his instinct. The physical traits are elite for sure and potential-wise, he could develop into Keuchley 2.0. But if you’re not drafting a guy at 10 who has that Bolton-like instinct, why not draft a guy with similar physical traits in round 2-3 and develop him?

Cox, Browning, and to a lesser degree Davis and Fields all offer high-upside athleticism in the mid-rounds.

If Farley or Sewell ain’t there, trade down.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You’ve said it yourself but Parson being new to the position really affects his instinct. The physical traits are elite for sure and potential-wise, he could develop into Keuchley 2.0. But if you’re not drafting a guy at 10 who has that Bolton-like instinct, why not draft a guy with similar physical traits in round 2-3 and develop him?

Cox, Browning, and to a lesser degree Davis and Fields all offer high-upside athleticism in the mid-rounds.

If Farley or Sewell ain’t there, trade down.

You make a good point. Think the Cox/Browning's would have a bigger learning curve, but they both have high level athletic traits, not as high as Parsons who is a freak, but pretty good. I think if an off the ball linebacker isn't a three down player now, you cannot take him at 10.

lkelly

Reaction score
These kids take so many college courses in HS now that they are practically Sophomores when they actually get into college.
Micah Parsons didn't come out of Harrisburg High School with a ton of AP credits. Think more along the lines of football players at a lot of these big universities staying up over the summers and taking several classes over that timeframe. Add those extra sessions to a full fall/spring workload and it's pretty easy to graduate in under 4 years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, the player doesn't bother me at 10, it's the position. The position is an injury waiting to happen.....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
He’s so talented that I’d be hard pressed to be upset with him at 10, although I typically don’t like to use a high first on a 43 LB.

As far as the player and his immaturity... I don’t think there’s much of a problem there really. I haven’t dug up anything that is a real problem in his background. The team will interview him and look into his personality and if there’s an issue, I’m sure they wouldn’t take him at 10 overall. Dallas has done a pretty good job in recent years of vetting the high round guys.

James Franklin was on the NFL Network a few days ago (NFL Now I think), and they asked him about Parsons and he couldn’t speak highly enough about the kid and his work ethic and his growth as a football player. He talked about how incredibly athletic he is and how good he can be. He said watching the Super Bowl, Devin White actually reminded him some of Parsons.

I think he’ll be really good and won’t take long to get there.

^^^^^

As an aside, the guy interviewing Franklin on the show asked him who was going to run faster at their pro day, Parsons or Jayson Oweh and Franklin’s answer was eye opening. He said that they have been training some together and they both called him a few days ago after a workout, and asked him then which one he thinks will run faster at pro day.

Franklin said that Micha was a little mad at him because he picked Oweh (at 6’5” 257 lbs.) to run the faster 40 time. He said he is an incredible athlete.

I haven’t spent much time looking at edge rushers but I knew that Oweh is a terrific athlete... but if he’s doing that, he’s a very, very rare guy athletically. Does anyone have an idea on Oweh and his development? I know he’s raw.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I have gone back and forth on Parsons probably because of the comparisons to Jaylon but then I watch his tape and realize he is more athletic then Jaylon was before the injury. Parsons if used correctly could be a defensive monster. If we play a multiple type of defense I could see Tank, Gregory, Jaylon, LVE, Donavon Wilson and Parsons rushing the passer on 3rd downs causing havoc all over the football field. I watch the Ravens and they have far fewer pass rushers then we do but the blitz their linebackers like crazy. You just have to have a coaching staff that has the ability to scheme up players. Parsons is easily the most dominant defensive player in this draft if he is used correctly. You put him at middle linebacker you kill his value.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I have gone back and forth on Parsons probably because of the comparisons to Jaylon but then I watch his tape and realize he is more athletic then Jaylon was before the injury. Parsons if used correctly could be a defensive monster. If we play a multiple type of defense I could see Tank, Gregory, Jaylon, LVE, Donavon Wilson and Parsons rushing the passer on 3rd downs causing havoc all over the football field. I watch the Ravens and they have far fewer pass rushers then we do but the blitz their linebackers like crazy. You just have to have a coaching staff that has the ability to scheme up players. Parsons is easily the most dominant defensive player in this draft if he is used correctly. You put him at middle linebacker you kill his value.

Parsons is Jaylon as a prospect with instincts. That’s something to be really excited about.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Parsons is Jaylon as a prospect with instincts. That’s something to be really excited about.
I have been fighting with you since the first thread on Parsons. I have been watching all the top defensive players in the last few weeks and he is by far the most explosive. I just don’t know if we have the coaching staff to unlock his potential.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Micah Parsons didn't come out of Harrisburg High School with a ton of AP credits. Think more along the lines of football players at a lot of these big universities staying up over the summers and taking several classes over that timeframe. Add those extra sessions to a full fall/spring workload and it's pretty easy to graduate in under 4 years.

Why don’t more players do it then?

lkelly

Reaction score
Why don’t more players do it then?
It's not all that uncommon at Penn State. I'm not sure how they compare to other schools. Parsons also enrolled early (as many kids are doing these days) and that gave him yet another head start.

Quote from Franklin a few years ago:
"Most of them will be taking nine credits of summer school," Franklin said. "Our plan is to have all our guys graduate in three and a half years and then have an opportunity to either go work out, have an opportunity to go to the combine, or if they redshirt, have an opportunity to start working on grad school or second major.

lkelly

Reaction score
As another example, Will Levis is transferring from Penn State after his redshirt soph year (eligibility wise). He'll have his degree in Finance after this semester and will have 3 years of football eligibility remaining thanks to the rule this past season that allowed athletes a "free eligibility year" due to COVID.