CFZ Interesting trend in the NFL with scoring

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know the reason although any or all of your suppositions are plausible.

I understand that I'm in the minority but, I love this style of football.

I enjoy the low scoring defensive games because, every play matters and could be the play that means everything.

High scoring, basketball on grass games don't do it for me.

I'm not interested in Fantasy Football so high scoring games to me aren't real football.

I don't know how long it will last but, I couldn't be happier about it.
I like both styles. Like you, I do like some old school lower scoring football. But I also like a few track meets mixed in occasionally as well. The pinball machine offense dominated NFL was getting boring to me. But I also don’t want to see every game be 13-10 slugfest either.

shabazz

Reaction score
Average team scoring will soar when we get our QB back.....

shabazz

Reaction score
The quarterback position in the NFL has never been this bad.

It's comically terrible. All of last year's QB first-round picks look like scrubs. They don't teach quarterbacks in college anymore to play the position like is required in the NFL.

Exactly what I've been saying. Qbs rated 10-20 are overrated and those rated under them are abysmal and wouldn't be starting 7 years ago

The QB class drafted in 83 have to be laughing at this current bunch

NickZepp

Reaction score
True teams like Nebraska loved it and as long as you have a defense it works great but when they would fall behind they did not have the passing game to keep themselves in the game.
Nebraska passed it more than Oklahoma, Texas, Bama at least. They ran a power I offense.​

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Exactly what I've been saying. Qbs rated 10-20 are overrated and those rated under them are abysmal and wouldn't be starting 7 years ago

The QB class drafted in 83 have to be laughing at this current bunch

Its almost as if youre suggesting the talent coming out of college these days is not NFL ready. Its almost as if youre saying its hard to find a QB. Its almost as if youre suggesting that finding a QB that learns to do it might take until after their 2nd contract. Its almost as if arguing over paying QBs is ridiculous because they all get paid and there is usual only about 3 or 4 worth it. Its almost as if trying to fix the market on QBs is a waste of time.

Garrettop

Reaction score
All answers re: shell coverage are correct. Teams are rushing 4 and dropping 7, with deeper safeties, and rarely blitzing.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
All answers re: shell coverage are correct. Teams are rushing 4 and dropping 7, with deeper safeties, and rarely blitzing.

Which leads to the OBVIOUS second question everyone wants to know: WHICH QBs ARE BEATING IT?

Its so easy to talk trash about a QB failing when the landscape has shifted like hating on DAK. But at least answer which QB's are defeating it. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE!

Garrettop

Reaction score
Which leads to the OBVIOUS second question everyone wants to know: WHICH QBs ARE BEATING IT?

Its so easy to talk trash about a QB failing when the landscape has shifted like hating on DAK. But at least answer which QB's are defeating it. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE!

Hard to say at this point, since the sample size is tiny and strength of schedule isn't really identifiable yet. Lamar Jackson is doing well and has previous track record.

Maxmadden

Reaction score

If the top scoring offenses in league are the Ravens and Eagles then the answer is obvious.

So do you pay the running QB a second contract at 50 million a year, and run him like a RB knowing he won't hold up like a RB?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It’s only 3 games into a long season, but there’s an interesting trend in the NFL: Scoring is WAY down. This last week, the 20.3 points per game by teams was the lowest for a Week 3 since 2009 and the fourth lowest for any week in the past 5 seasons.

Even the league’s top QBs are struggling. Pat Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers- winners of four of the last five MVP awards have all struggled in the first 3 games. Last week, their teams had a paltry 43 points combined. That's the fewest points scored in the 57 weeks those top QBs have all started. The previous low was 55 in Week 15 of the 2018 season.

Brady’s Bucs have yet to score 20 points in a game this year. Rodgers packers are averaging 16.5 points a game. Several games this week were just awful from an offensive standpoint- especially the 11-10 doze bowl between the niners and broncos Sun night. Just brutal.

We knew going into this season the Cowboys might struggle on offense at the start with so many new faces. So why is this a pattern league wide?
Here are some theories:

• Fewer teams playing starters in ps games- making the start of the season inherently sloppy. Most teams no longer risk playing their QBs and other key skill people.
  • Defenses are better at the start of each season- coming out of training camp, defenses are almost always ahead of the offense.
  • Defenses getting away with more holding and grabbing in the passing game- we saw this Sun against NYG with several holds and PI not being called. Reminded me of the 70s defenses.
  • Parity- after 3 games, there are only two teams that are undefeated- Mia and Filly. Are there just fewer good teams this year?
The good news for the Cowboys in all this is two fold- 1. The Cowboys have a bonafide good defense and 2. The NFL appears to be much more wide open this year. It may be a year where a champion could spring from a team who gets hot late in the season- maybe a 10-7 type team?

Who knows? It’s still early. But interesting how offenses are struggling league wide.

I have noticed also that offensive lines are more inferior than defensive lines. It's not just Dallas that had problems forming their OL... whether it's injuries or just poorer talent in the trench, not sure, but great offensive lineman are really scarce. And they take longer to gel than defensive lines. TB, GB, Rams and now SF have had problems.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
If the top scoring offenses in league are the Ravens and Eagles then the answer is obvious.

So do you pay the running QB a second contract at 50 million a year, and run him like a RB knowing he won't hold up like a RB?

Or do you admit that Eagles are in a tough situation with a player at a position that demands high percentage of cap?

These decisions arent easy people. Whats easy is hating. And even easier is hating on the past and claiming "i told you so". Its all cheap.

True or false. Eagles will be in a tough situation if Hurts plays well the rest of this season?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Or do you admit that Eagles are in a tough situation with a player at a position that demands high percentage of cap?

These decisions arent easy people. Whats easy is hating. And even easier is hating on the past and claiming "i told you so". Its all cheap.

True or false. Eagles will be in a tough situation if Hurts plays well the rest of this season?
Probably not as much as the Ravens but Hurts was a second round choice so he has no 5th year option, so they could be about the same.

Josh Allen is a big SOB but he takes a lot of shots. He isn't going to fare well in the long run at his pace.

Dak wasn't even a running QB but it caught up to him when he did. He still needs to run more to be most effective but has to be smart.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well Aaron Rodgers and the pack are averaging 16.2 points a game so far this year. Brady’s Bucs haven’t hit 20 points yet this year. Mahomes has struggled at times going back to last year with teams that play that deep zone. Matt Ryan’s colts are averaging less than 14. Russell Wilson and the broncs are avg 14. Chargers’ Gunslinger Justin Herbert has led his team to avg 17 so far.

Point is…lots of good QBs are struggling. There are a few doing ok. Like Lamar Jackson. And Josh Allen. Again…it’s early.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Well Aaron Rodgers and the pack are averaging 16.2 points a game so far this year. Brady’s Bucs haven’t hit 20 points yet this year. Mahomes has struggled at times going back to last year with teams that play that deep zone. Matt Ryan’s colts are averaging less than 14. Russell Wilson and the broncs are avg 14. Chargers’ Gunslinger Justin Herbert has led his team to avg 17 so far.

Point is…lots of good QBs are struggling. There are a few doing ok. Like Lamar Jackson. And Josh Allen. Again…it’s early.

Mobile quarterbacks.

Just need to run more, play action Dak more esp w the rollouts that he can take advantage of with his legs. Time for Kellen to realize the NFL has figured out the gunslingers and given up on the one deep safety Seattle mimic defenses.

shabazz

Reaction score
Its almost as if youre suggesting the talent coming out of college these days is not NFL ready. Its almost as if youre saying its hard to find a QB. Its almost as if youre suggesting that finding a QB that learns to do it might take until after their 2nd contract. Its almost as if arguing over paying QBs is ridiculous because they all get paid and there is usual only about 3 or 4 worth it. Its almost as if trying to fix the market on QBs is a waste of time.

……it’s almost as if you say we have no choice but to stick with Dakota no matter what

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Mobile quarterbacks.

Just need to run more, play action Dak more esp w the rollouts that he can take advantage of with his legs. Time for Kellen to realize the NFL has figured out the gunslingers and given up on the one deep safety Seattle mimic defenses.

Cant stand how highly paid coaches have ruined so many running quarterbacks "because NFL thats why". WE dont have to have a long ridiculous conversation where you try and convince me that pocket passers are the ideal and I tell you few of them turn out to be worth the effort of transforming. To your credit...NFL DLinemen are fast these days...defenses period.

My main point is that legs can buy you half a second to let a receiver get open...or they can run you to a first down or out of a sack. Brady is rare...so why try and force that when you are most likely going to fail trying to find that or fail trying to transform someone into that?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
……it’s almost as if you say we have no choice but to stick with Dakota no matter what

Nah...I just think the market for a QB a lot of "experts" were saying was top 10 in the league is a high price. We dont have to argue about how much you knew he sucked...I want to see you sign a QB in Dak's situation for 15M per year. His agent would laugh at you and direct his client to seek other suitors...maybe even your division rival. And...if the QB was to succeed...you have a lot and I mean A LOT of egg on your face and a lot of questions to answer...all while being the laughing stock of the league.

QB market is jacked. Go try and find a Brady, Rogers, Mahomes...I suspect it will take you a while to find one. And...my position, THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO RESPOND TO ON HERE, is...if you are all going to have this hardline approach on paying players might as well not pay any of them. Anything over a League minimum contract or rookie contract for a lesser than Roger Brady or Mahomes is OVERPAYING FOR MEDIOCRITY. You should just draft and waive until you find your ELITE QB. But I suspect there is a reason that NFL teams dont do that...and I suspect everyone talking bad about Dak and his contract would not want to hear valid reasons for why real GM's dont operate like that but internet GM's do.

Verdict

Reaction score
It’s only 3 games into a long season, but there’s an interesting trend in the NFL: Scoring is WAY down. This last week, the 20.3 points per game by teams was the lowest for a Week 3 since 2009 and the fourth lowest for any week in the past 5 seasons.

Even the league’s top QBs are struggling. Pat Mahomes, Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers- winners of four of the last five MVP awards have all struggled in the first 3 games. Last week, their teams had a paltry 43 points combined. That's the fewest points scored in the 57 weeks those top QBs have all started. The previous low was 55 in Week 15 of the 2018 season.

Brady’s Bucs have yet to score 20 points in a game this year. Rodgers packers are averaging 16.5 points a game. Several games this week were just awful from an offensive standpoint- especially the 11-10 doze bowl between the niners and broncos Sun night. Just brutal.

We knew going into this season the Cowboys might struggle on offense at the start with so many new faces. So why is this a pattern league wide?
Here are some theories:

• Fewer teams playing starters in ps games- making the start of the season inherently sloppy. Most teams no longer risk playing their QBs and other key skill people.
  • Defenses are better at the start of each season- coming out of training camp, defenses are almost always ahead of the offense.
  • Defenses getting away with more holding and grabbing in the passing game- we saw this Sun against NYG with several holds and PI not being called. Reminded me of the 70s defenses.
  • Parity- after 3 games, there are only two teams that are undefeated- Mia and Filly. Are there just fewer good teams this year?
The good news for the Cowboys in all this is two fold- 1. The Cowboys have a bonafide good defense and 2. The NFL appears to be much more wide open this year. It may be a year where a champion could spring from a team who gets hot late in the season- maybe a 10-7 type team?

Who knows? It’s still early. But interesting how offenses are struggling league wide.
I have to say, Bob, you really do a fine job of being up interesting facts, points, opinions and theories. I am sure that I don’t always agree with all of them, but you get an A+ for the thought and effort that you puny into making them.

As for this post specifically, I agree with all of it.