Video: Interview with George Iloka

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Several seasons were completely wasted because Jerry knows what it's like when a real coach is in place and he doesnt like not being the top dog.

That's why, first....I need to SEE Jerry will back off before I believe it, and secondly, I may never trust that Jerry doesnt run MM out of town once the ship is righted.

Reasonable. It does seem like Jerry is going with more of a Parcells kind of pick here. We may get real coaches from here on out. The dream of the Landry that Jerry Built has hopefully died with sending Garrett off on an ice floe.

Still, I bet he's eyeing Moore as McCarthy's heir. And that might be ok.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Reasonable. It does seem like Jerry is going with more of a Parcells kind of pick here. We may get real coaches from here on out. The dream of the Landry that Jerry Built has hopefully died with sending Garrett off on an ice floe.

Still, I bet he's eyeing Moore as McCarthy's heir. And that might be ok.
I'm extremely worried the Moore/McCarthy situation is similar to the Garrett/Phillips one.

Jerry knows he can push Moore around, and I do not at all trust that he wont try.

The whole keeping Moore around thing was no coincidence, and pretty obvious and sad.

Very much hope I'm wrong.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
In a normal situation, I'd say there was no way that happened. However, I have yet to see an explanation that fits what happened aside from that one. Why did our schemes go back to what we were doing previous seasons? Did Moore, all by himself, implement stuff that was working, and then suddenly start thinking "This is working way too well, let's find something that doesn't work."?

It really sounds unbelievable, but if that's not what happened, what was it?

I think Garrett puckered up because New Orleans was a better team than the first 3 teams. Wanted to go conservative and ball control. Which was moronic with the Saints starting Bridgewater, but Garrett gonna Garrett.

There was probably some push to "get Zeke more involved" and "establish our identity" too. Running Zeke into their DTs all day because well, that worked with Emmitt in the 90s.

Garrett *so* deserved to be fired last year. He just threw games away with game plan. And I don't care if Moore was the one who made the plan - the HC should have said "this ain't working". Somebody should have said it *besides* every fan watching the game.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm extremely worried the Moore/McCarthy situation is similar to the Garrett/Phillips one.

Jerry knows he can push Moore around, and I do not at all trust that he wont try.

The whole keeping Moore around thing was no coincidence, and pretty obvious and sad.

Very much hope I'm wrong.

There's some risk of that.

There's some possibility of it turning out really well, though. If it's all as stated, that McCarthy *wanted* Moore, we've got an experienced offensive minded HC who took a year off to sharpen his game, plus an innovative up and coming OC. That's a lot of competence and innovation coming together for the offense. Moore probably sees it as an opportunity to learn a lot too. Coryell + Boise + WC. Broad experience from different schools of thought. We could do *what works* instead of being stuck in a system.

The offense could really be killer this year. We've got talent on and off the field.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I guess we’ll see how that works for you soon enough. Personally, I’d prefer we address the actual issues instead of playing 3-card Monty with QBs and coaches every five or so years.
Now I'm curious for clarification.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Probably because we didn’t. And what’s more, the mob knows it.

Quick: how many games does this team win in 2020? Include the premium for the huge coaching upgrade, the finally bringing in some DTs, and for the great draft. Do we make it to a Superbowl or just the Conference Championship? After all, you think we lost because of coaching. So how far should we realistically expect to go?!? And is it at all surprising to hear the majority of our fans throwing out 8-8 to 10-6? Because that’s where we were with all the coaching liabilities, remember.

I dont have a crystal ball my friend, in fact I dont even know if there will even be a 2020 season.

But what I do know is that this coaching staff was horrible. Our special teams were the worst in the league, our players were never lined up correctly, then you had the whole fair catch fiasco at the end of the Minny game, you had the punt blocked in New England because one of the guys didnt know who he was supposed to block. It got so bad Aikman even said on air "this is not a talent issue, this is just bad coaching". Then you had Jerry just go off on the coaching staff after the game in the lockerroom.

On defense you had Richards coaching the DBs to play one scheme and you had old man Rod coaching the front 7 to play another scheme. You got players saying that nothing was schemed, nothing was made to surprise the opponent, you got LVE saying they put him out there with only one arm working, and you wonder why we cant stop anybody that is half way decent.

Look, I know you supported Garrett, but there is no way you can tell me that what I just described is good coaching. How the hell can you have two defensive coordinators, where one coaches the front half and one coaches the back half, and they are running different schemes!!!!

And Garrett either didnt want to get involved to fix it or he was not allowed to, and that is why he was ineffective and had to be fired. And I dont know how many games MM will win, but I am pretty dam sure that he will know exactly what schemes we are running and what each of his assistant coaches are doing. That in and of itself will be a huge upgrade regardless of it translates to X more wins or not.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
There's some risk of that.

There's some possibility of it turning out really well, though. If it's all as stated, that McCarthy *wanted* Moore, we've got an experienced offensive minded HC who took a year off to sharpen his game, plus an innovative up and coming OC. That's a lot of competence and innovation coming together for the offense. Moore probably sees it as an opportunity to learn a lot too. Coryell + Boise + WC. Broad experience from different schools of thought. We could do *what works* instead of being stuck in a system.

The offense could really be killer this year. We've got talent on and off the field.
Yep.

McCarthy also *wanted* a job too.

I dont trust Jerry at all. He continues to trip over his own ego and always will.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont have a crystal ball my friend, in fact I dont even know if there will even be a 2020 season.

But what I do know is that this coaching staff was horrible. Our special teams were the worst in the league, our players were never lined up correctly, then you had the whole fair catch fiasco at the end of the Minny game, you had the punt blocked in New England because one of the guys didnt know who he was supposed to block. It got so bad Aikman even said on air "this is not a talent issue, this is just bad coaching". Then you had Jerry just go off on the coaching staff after the game in the lockerroom.

On defense you had Richards coaching the DBs to play one scheme and you had old man Rod coaching the front 7 to play another scheme. You got players saying that nothing was schemed, nothing was made to surprise the opponent, you got LVE saying they put him out there with only one arm working, and you wonder why we cant stop anybody that is half way decent.

Look, I know you supported Garrett, but there is no way you can tell me that what I just described is good coaching. How the hell can you have two defensive coordinators, where one coaches the front half and one coaches the back half, and they are running different schemes!!!!

And Garrett either didnt want to get involved to fix it or he was not allowed to, and that is why he was ineffective and had to be fired. And I dont know how many games MM will win, but I am pretty dam sure that he will know exactly what schemes we are running and what each of his assistant coaches are doing. That in and of itself will be a huge upgrade regardless of it translates to X more wins or not.

You're describing issues with the ST from last year. I think we all recognize there were issues there and know what the problem was.

As for McCarthy, either he’ll have an impact that affects how far we get in the playoffs, or it’s irrelevant. You can’t say the coaching is going to be so much better with a comparable roster but that the results will be the same. Either it’s improvement, or the issue wasn’t actually the coaching. If you really think we’ve made a huge upgrade, it needs to show in the postseason run. Otherwise, it’s going to look an awful lot like it was just noise all along.

Dre11

Reaction score
41:00

This is where the gold starts. Talks about Richard not wanting him to disguise the coverage. Iloka asked “You want them to know we are in cover 3?”. Richard said “Yes, thats our Defense”.

I call b's, go watch the Buffalo game, they disguised it a lot and switched coverages a lot starting in the first quarter.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Jones family making money √
Garrett and others were paid √
Media feasted √
Opponents bye week vs Cowboys √
Other fans joked √
Analyst mocked √
Cowboy fans misery √

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
What an absolute cluster. Has it ever been determined who came up with this arrangement? Were they trying to recreate the Wade/Jason dysfunction days?

Why can't the local reporters actually do some legwork instead of just being PC note-takers and puff piece writers?
Journalism does not exist as it once did. Hacks and more hacks exist in today's reporters.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
You're describing issues with the ST from last year. I think we all recognize there were issues there and know what the problem was.

As for McCarthy, either he’ll have an impact that affects how far we get in the playoffs, or it’s irrelevant. You can’t say the coaching is going to be so much better with a comparable roster but that the results will be the same. Either it’s improvement, or the issue wasn’t actually the coaching. If you really think we’ve made a huge upgrade, it needs to show in the postseason run. Otherwise, it’s going to look an awful lot like it was just noise all along.

Oh I agree my friend, Big Mike must have postseason success to get a second contract.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Jones family making money √
Garrett and others were paid √
Media feasted √
Opponents bye week vs Cowboys √
Other fans joked √
Analyst mocked √
Cowboy fans misery √

Isn't that the truth....Hopefully we have turned a corner...and made coaching and accountability...something we can count on. ;)

HungryLion

Reaction score

It’s fair. I would add the caveat that we may need more than one season to know.

Just being realistic at this point. This is
The worst off-season possible to have a new coaching staff with new offensive and defensive schemes. There are some big barriers that the team is going to have to overcome thanks to COVID which will make the already tough job of transitioning a team to all new coaching, all the more difficult.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
IIoka is the one fans were penciling in as the starter a couple of summers ago. He didn’t even make the team. lol

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think Garrett puckered up because New Orleans was a better team than the first 3 teams. Wanted to go conservative and ball control. Which was moronic with the Saints starting Bridgewater, but Garrett gonna Garrett.

There was probably some push to "get Zeke more involved" and "establish our identity" too. Running Zeke into their DTs all day because well, that worked with Emmitt in the 90s.

Garrett *so* deserved to be fired last year. He just threw games away with game plan. And I don't care if Moore was the one who made the plan - the HC should have said "this ain't working". Somebody should have said it *besides* every fan watching the game.

Moore made the plans. But Garrett probably made Moore call the plays that he wanted.

What a really dumb game we played against the Saints. Running up the middle all day until the very last minute was as dumb as it gets. Garrett's fingerprints all over that disaster of a gameplan.