iPhone 7

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
What was everyone's thoughts on the announcement yesterday? Seems nifty but I'm not going to upgrade, will stick with my 6 an just upgrade the software. The waterproof addition as well as another 2 hours of battery life were the biggest draws for me personally.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Added Black color options and supposedly is now waterproof *** though not covered by warranty *** and removed the headphone jack .. There's a whole lot of "NOPES!" there.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I upgrade my Samsung note every two years.

Note 2
Note 4
Note 7

I only upgrade for the advances in speed and fluidity of the device.

I like apple products.

The iPhone 6 Plus is a mini-mini- iPad.

The iPhone 7 plus is probably what iPhone 6 Plus/iPhone 6s plus should have been.
If I had an iPhone 5 or 6 or 6 plus. I would upgrade.

Here is why you upgrade. (Same reason I do) :)

Dual core processor is now quad
Better pics
Better video
Double storage

Everything else is negligible.

bounce

Reaction score
I just can't wait to lose the wireless headphones almost immediately.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Added Black color options and supposedly is now waterproof *** though not covered by warranty *** and removed the headphone jack .. There's a whole lot of "NOPES!" there.
Wireless headphones instead? If there's no headphones for the i7 that would seem pretty weak.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

Now, hold on just a second there with your propoganda. :laugh:

It's water resistant, not waterproof. No phone manufacturer (including Android phone makers - go ahead and look up their warranty) are going to claim their phone is "waterproof" because there are a lot of other conditions that go into it.

Even a submarine is water resistant, not waterproof.

If your Galaxy S7 gets damage in water, just like the iPhone, you're on your own.

Last edited:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I have a 6 Plus, not gonna upgrade as I hear there is a significant upgrade coming next year to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the iPhone.

Unlike most people, I'm not freaking out about the loss of a headphone jack. I remember people freaking out when they ditched the CD drive, now I can't remember the last time I put a disc in anything other than a gaming console.

I take a lot of photos, so the camera on the iPhone 7 Plus is tempting. I had been temporarily using the Samsung S7, and that's definitely the best phone camera I've ever used and the screen is gorgeous.

I was seriously considering a Galaxy Note 7, but the exploding battery recall stalled all that.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now, hold on just a second there with your propoganda. :laugh:

It's water resistant, not waterproof. No phone manufacturer (including Android phone makers - go ahead and look up their warranty) are going to claim their phone is "waterproof" because there are a lot of other conditions to go into it.

Even a submarine is water resistant, not waterproof.

If your Galaxy S7 gets damage in water, just like the iPhone, you're on your own.
I'm not pushing for or against the iPhone, Samsung, etc. phones. I'd rely more on a waterproof/resistant case than I ever would an electronic device and even then, I'd avoid using it near water.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Water "resistance" does nothing for me.

I don't throw my electronics in water so I'm not sure I get anything out of that.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm not pushing for or against the iPhone, Samsung, etc. phones. I'd rely more on a waterproof/resistant case than I ever would an electronic device and even then, I'd avoid using it near water.

I guess it's for if you are stuck in an emergency during a rain or snow storm. It's not for taking pictures of fish underwater!! lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
How Apple has such a big following is beyond me..... Their phones are so behind in almost every aspect when compared to android. To each their own though.

100x

I'll say the only aspect I think they're still better than the rest is in form factor and quality of build.

I pick some Samsungs and they feel like a disposable phone.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score

I'm not saying you are, but your statement made it sound like the lack of warranty coverage was specific to the topic at hand - the iPhone. I'm just pointing out that all water resistant phones have the same warranty.

Even the "waterproof" cases are simply water resistant to different rating levels. Time, pressure and liquid can defeat all earthly forms of water proofing.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
How Apple has such a big following is beyond me..... Their phones are so behind in almost every aspect when compared to android. To each their own though.

Apple is a hardware company that also does software. Android is purely an operating system. People compare Apple to Android, but they really should be comparing iOS to Android.

If you leave the hardware out of it, you notice there's very little difference. I design apps professionally, and the early versions of Android were pretty terrible but these days, it's a toss up - they both work great.

In terms of hardware, I don't even think it's a question that Apple is among the best, if not the best. The new Samsung phones are the first Android OS phones I've used that felt as premium as Apple's offerings.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not saying you are, but your statement made it sound like the lack of warranty coverage was specific to the topic at hand - the iPhone. I'm just pointing out that all water resistant phones have the same warranty.

Even the "waterproof" cases are simply water resistant to different rating levels. Time, pressure and liquid can defeat all earthly forms of water proofing.
My point was that the big selling points of the new iPhone are 1) black color options, 2) water resistance that is not covered by warranty and 3) no headphone jack. The only relevant one of those three is #1 and all that does is make it look like most other non-Apple/Samsung phones. If the phones are only "resistant" (I've bolded and quoted resistance, hope that's enough now) and provide no warranty, then nothing has really changed at all so #2 doesn't even matter. I've seen iPhone 5's and 6's get water splashed on them, heck even an iPad Air 2, and have no issues, so offering basic "resistance" to water without any warranty protection is nothing special or even new at all.

As for #3, most people I know are not excited about wireless headphones at all. Many people can expect to lose one or both of their wireless earbuds within the first few months. I'm sure you can use an adapter to keep using your old headphones but that's yet another piece to carry around with you (and lose) and the adapters use the lightning port which means no wired listening while charging. Of course there will eventually be even larger adapters that may let you charge and listen via wired headphones, so you get to carry around an even larger adapter.

iPhone's used to be special and worth buying. The same could be said for other devices Apple makes. That all changed when Jobs died. Now, only Apple fan boys and blind supporters get excited about new releases of any Apple products. For most people, the iPhone 6 was only a small upgrade to iPhone 5, and iPhone 7 is an even smaller upgrade to iPhone 6.

I do not own an iPhone or Samsung phone nor any android-based phone, so attempting the typical Apple fan boy insults won't work on me. I do own an iPad Air 2 and I owned an original iPad. The original iPad was amazing and revolutionary .. you know, back when Jobs was alive .. and the only reason I bought a new iPad Air 2 wasn't because it was an amazing device but rather due to some of the apps I use for work required iOS 8 and the original iPad only supported up to iOS 5. The iPad Air 2 was a bleh upgrade for me. Sure, it's a little faster, but it was not worth the full upgrade price IMO.

iMacs were amazing years ago, but lately they have basically just added SSDs and more memory, something which PC companies had already been doing for years. They used Radeon-based GPUs in them that are inferior to nVidia GPUs and they offered 5k screens which is 1k more than they need for 27" screens. I have two graphic designer friends who specifically did not want 5k screens when they got their iMacs.

Macbooks have been stagnant for years minus the same SSDs and memory upgrades. They added USB-C to the base model and probably will to the "new" Macbooks later this year as well .. yeah, that's worth $2,000 - $3,000. You could put SSDs and memory upgrades in older Macbooks and get nearly the same performance and still be able to use all of your USB3/USB2 devices without splitters/hubs.

As for iPads, they released the large iPad Pro, which looks like a keyboard-less laptop, is priced like a laptop with a keyboard, but is as useful as an iPhone 5. The regular iPad continues to be a better option size-wise for tablet users except in very specific situations.

And of course, the Apple Watch. This is the most disappointing device Apple has released in a very long time. They should have never released it until they were capable of making it support LTE directly. If/when the day comes they can offer full iPhone/phone replacement, that would be impressive. However, other companies are already close to doing that if not already doing it, so once again, Apple will be following other companies rather than revolutionizing the industry like they did once upon a time.

It's really sad how far Apple has fallen since Jobs died. Apple declined the last time Jobs left the company too, but now I actually feel sorry for them every time they release something new. There's no "new" from Apple any more, just "slightly better".

In fact, that should be their motto .. "Apple .. Slightly better than before."

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Apple is a hardware company that also does software. Android is purely an operating system. People compare Apple to Android, but they really should be comparing iOS to Android.

If you leave the hardware out of it, you notice there's very little difference. I design apps professionally, and the early versions of Android were pretty terrible but these days, it's a toss up - they both work great.

In terms of hardware, I don't even think it's a question that Apple is among the best, if not the best. The new Samsung phones are the first Android OS phones I've used that felt as premium as Apple's offerings.

This x 1000

I've had android phones and apple phones. A motorola droid, 2 samsungs, 4 iphones. When you travel you break your phones a lot, apparently.

Anyway, it's a toss up. It's simply personal preference. Neither OS, or device, is better than the other.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score

what in the world are you talking about? the o/s is where all the difference is. iOS does not have nearly the hooks into the core functions as can be done with Android. And don't get me started on the process of getting apps in their store compared to Google's.