Twitter: IR to Return Players

Jarntt

Reaction score
why on earth would a second round pick the 44th pick in the draft not be expected to play in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Do you understand what you are saying here? You are saying the team is so good that it doesn't need THE 44TH Pick in the draft to suit up and help them. This is insane.

to go one step further. The cowboys had five picks in the top 100 and they used them all on defense and it looks like Only parsons will be a regular and osa will be a role player. Wright will probably be inactive on gameday. So once again 5 top 100 picks used on defense and the games are a week away and the team is going to be batting what looks to be 1.5 out of five.
You don't draft guys for week 1 of season 1 and you certainly don't expect mid and late round guys to start year 1. Looks like we will have 2 draft picks starting on defense. How many teams will have more than 2 draft picks starting on defense this year?

MikeB80

Reaction score
You don't draft guys for week 1 of season 1 and you certainly don't expect mid and late round guys to start year 1. Looks like we will have 2 draft picks starting on defense. How many teams will have more than 2 draft picks starting on defense this year?

yes. You definitely don't draft players at 42 with the expectation that they will play. Sound philosophy.

who is the second starter? Osa? Will he hold up in the running game vs tampa?

Maxmadden

Reaction score
ok. Again you are justifying the front office yet again using a 2nd round pick that is not going to help them right away. The 44th pick should be on the field in some way (injuries aside) helping your team in regular season games. He had few starts in college but he is in no way a developmental player and if he was/is what is a team with a bad defense doing drafting him at 44.

I vividly remember in 2005 when Kevin Burnett was drafted at 2-42, The locals and the fan base crucified him because he didn't end up starting and battled injuries all season before finally going to IR.

so what is the difference. Why is the bar so low now?
I think if you reread your post you will have magically answered your own question.

Jarntt

Reaction score
yes. You definitely don't draft players at 42 with the expectation that they will play. Sound philosophy.

who is the second starter? Osa? Will he hold up in the running game vs tampa?
At least you are changing your wording to not sound as wrong even if you are trying to change mine as well to sound right. Again, you don't draft guys for week 1 of season 1. Get your jimmies rustled all you want, but you draft these guys hoping for the best picks for the next 5 or 10 years. We will have a lot of contributors on defense from this draft. Sorry you won't be able to start them on your fantasy team.

quickccc

Reaction score
You can still be cautious without putting him on IR so you can stash some scrub

they may want to use short term IR as the healing time factor needed.. while at the same time, still want to keep a certain player active and ready to play.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
The time off. I think it gives him a chance to sit back and observe and understand what went wrong in preseason for him. But it also gets him healthy....
What went wrong he played almost every snap and gave up what 5 or 6 catches. Lawrence threw a beautiful back shoulder ball he was in great position if it wasnt back shoulder

MikeB80

Reaction score
At least you are changing your wording to not sound as wrong even if you are trying to change mine as well to sound right. Again, you don't draft guys for week 1 of season 1. Get your jimmies rustled all you want, but you draft these guys hoping for the best picks for the next 5 or 10 years. We will have a lot of contributors on defense from this draft. Sorry you won't be able to staearrt them on your fantasy team.

yes you draft players to build teams and give them 3 years to develop. I'm well aware.

Now explain to me how a top 50 pick is not supposed to help you right away, especially when he was drafted specifically to come in and help one of the worst defenses of the last ten years in the nfl.

and my original comment about this was not to you and it was not about injuries. It was about the statement that he wouldn't be needed until week 3 or 5 or so.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
yes you draft players to build teams and give them 3 years to develop. I'm well aware.

Now explain to me how a top 50 pick is not supposed to help you right away, especially when he was drafted specifically to come in and help one of the worst defenses of the last ten years in the nfl.

and my original comment about this was not to you and it was not about injuries. It was about the statement that he wouldn't be needed until week 3 or 5 or so.
I agree with this 100%.

Jarntt

Reaction score

He didn't play a lot of games in College. He had COVID and lost time this offseason. He is now injured with a groin issue. While our CBs aren't good, we do have returning vets and there were a lot of guys getting reps in practice. It was expected all along because of his lack of experience that he may not be a guy that starts right away. We took him because of what we think he might be, not because of who we thought he would be for the first week. Personally I didn't really like the pick and still don't, but that doesn't have much to do with the fact that he isn't going to start week 1 and I can't criticize based on that fact. IMO he may not start all year and that would be fine as long as he is one of the top 3 CBs next year. The bigger problem was the team not bringing in better FAs. Those are the guys you expect to start IMO.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What went wrong he played almost every snap and gave up what 5 or 6 catches. Lawrence threw a beautiful back shoulder ball he was in great position if it wasnt back shoulder
I’m speaking overall. Maybe the coaches think nothing went wrong. But if he’s not a projected starter of healthy? Then something must’ve meant wrong and that’s the stuff he needs to work on. I didn’t get a chance to look at his all 22 to see how good or poor he was. He just looked like a rookie to me which is what he’s suppose to be.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I’m speaking overall. Maybe the coaches think nothing went wrong. But if he’s not a projected starter of healthy? Then something must’ve meant wrong and that’s the stuff he needs to work on. I didn’t get a chance to look at his all 22 to see how good or poor he was. He just looked like a rookie to me which is what he’s suppose to be.
Coaches are scared and dont like change. Even if he balled they wasnt starting him over AB because hes a known commodity

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Coaches are scared and dont like change. Even if he balled they wasnt starting him over AB because hes a known commodity
Oh I don't know about that. Unless i'm missing something on AB I don't think he's tied in like that. I can see if it was Dak or Zeke.....but Brown is on a low risk deal. He also is able to play some slot for them too. I Don't think they have any intentions on Joseph playing the slot.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
why on earth would a second round pick the 44th pick in the draft not be expected to play in the first 5 weeks of the season.

Do you understand what you are saying here? You are saying the team is so good that it doesn't need THE 44TH Pick in the draft to suit up and help them. This is insane.

I believe what he is saying is that it has a groin injury. And as every athlete know is that if not fully healed it is very very very easily aggregated. Moving his return even further. So if the Cowboys medical understands the several more then any of us and if they believe it is a 3/5 week return, why not IR him to get an even longer look at other personal.

JMO!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

to go one step further. The cowboys had five picks in the top 100 and they used them all on defense and it looks like Only parsons will be a regular and osa will be a role player. Wright will probably be inactive on gameday. So once again 5 top 100 picks used on defense and the games are a week away and the team is going to be batting what looks to be 1.5 out of five.

Nobody is saying that the team is so good that they can't be expected to play in whatever time it takes for the player to heal, as needed. These players aren't robots and are just as susceptible to injury as anyone else. Let's get back to reality and keep our expectations reasonable, OK? Evidently, you haven't had any experience in anything relatively athletic.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Nobody is saying that the team is so good that they can't be expected to play in whatever time it takes for the player to heal, as needed. These players aren't robots and are just as susceptible to injury as anyone else. Let's get back to reality and keep our expectations reasonable, OK?

try reading what I said. My comment was in response to not needing the player. I multiple times said injuries aside. Work on that reading comprehension, ok.