Irvin Calls out Favre

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
So Walker is the victim here? Please.

He's making 500K this season and another 650K next plus whatever he's made to this point and when his career is all said and done he'll probably go on to gross 10 mil even if he wasnt paid as a premium reciever. Thats still alot of money. Most of us wont see that kind of money in 20 years of working our ***** off at real jobs.

Take a look at that bone head Clinton Portis. Could there possibly be a human being as stupid and uneducated as he is? The mans a millionaire, I have no pitty on professional athletes when it comes to the money they make.
What do you make at your Job? $8.00 an hour, $10.00 an hour?

Let's say you make $8.00 and hour, but your counterparts make $22.00 an hour.

Guys that are doing less than what you do, yet the same job. Your co-worker who makes $30.00 an hour criticizes you for not being into work because your bosses won't give you the raise you deserve.

All of a sudden, you get hurt on the job (knowing there is a long waiting list to take your job) now you can't work for a while.

My point is, it was Walkers negotiations with Management, and it was not Favre's business. I'm sure Favre would have been real happy if he were making 1 million bucks a year to be a great QB and yet Walkers calls him out, messing with the negotiations he's trying to have with management.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Sorry but Irvin's full of it on this one. Walker already had a contract. Period.

And how bout looking at the other side of the coin? What if they gave in to Walker, gave him his millions - including a fat signing bonus, then he gets hurt in the first game of the year? Any of you remember Joey Galloway? I know Galloway isn't as good as Walker (although Walker has had 1 good season, but Galloway had put together 2 pretty good season in a row before his holdout year), but the point still stands.

Try looking at both sides of the coin there, Michael.

A valid point Rack but what does this have to do with Favre doing what he did? My opinion on this is, regardless of what one might think of Walkers contractual situation, it is a matter for Walker, his agent and the club.

I view this in much the same light as I would a co-worker bad mouthing me because I wanted more money for the work I'm doing. Doesn't matter if I deserve the money or not. It is not the place of the co-worker to say one thing about my situation.

That is my opinion of this.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
A valid point Rack but what does this have to do with Favre doing what he did?

Absolutely nothing. I have no problem with what Favre did except that he did it in public. He should of just gave Walker a phone call.

The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with Favre.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
This is probably Favre's last year, so he was thinking about his last HURRAH ahead of his teamate future.

On the flip side, Walker could have ignored him, he probably would have gotten something, or maybe a trade. He did make his own decision.

I still think Favre was wrong in calling him out tho.

Thunderstruck

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
This is an issue when he would have pocketed a signing bonus twenty times that number. Walker's compensation should be settled between the team and himself. He needed support, not derision, from his teammates.

When Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek held out in 1992, Troy Aikman was faxing them the plays. That's called support!

Antonio Gates was in a similar situation. He had the full support of his teammates. No one backstabbed him...everyone in every interview said, "It's between Gates and the team, we can't wait to have him back in camp."

When he finally showed up, he talked about how being among his teammates again reminded him how important being a Charger was to him. It was the team that held his loyalty, and that motivated him to sign a contract that was extremely favorable to the Chargers... quite a bit less than TG and highly incentive based, with a very average signing bonus of $6 million. In fact, it was the same offer the Chargers had made 6 months earlier.

Gates couldn't fathom playing for any other team and he saw the advantage to getting the guaranteed money and long-term security now rather than waiting to become a FA next offseason, and Walker's injury just highlights how smart of a decision that was. But I can almost guarantee if Drew Brees had told the media that Gates needed to get his rear into camp, it would not have made Gates want to sign a long-term deal favorable to the franchise.

His negotiations with AJ Smith might have been contentious, but one thing about our GM is he doesn't really socialize with the players at all. Because of that, the player understands the clear delineation between the team we plays with and the owner he plays for. If he loves the team, he'll overlook the business side a little more readily.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Thunderstruck said:
Antonio Gates was in a similar situation. He had the full support of his teammates. No one backstabbed him...

Favre didn't backstab Walker either. He may have over stepped his boundaries, but he did "Back stab" anyone.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
So Walker is the victim here? Please.

He's making 500K this season and another 650K next plus whatever he's made to this point and when his career is all said and done he'll probably go on to gross 10 mil even if he wasnt paid as a premium reciever. Thats still alot of money. Most of us wont see that kind of money in 20 years of working our ***** off at real jobs.

Take a look at that bone head Clinton Portis. Could there possibly be a human being as stupid and uneducated as he is? The mans a millionaire, I have no pitty on professional athletes when it comes to the money they make.
At least some of us have some sense around here.

And yes, Portis is a moron.

So you guys are saying that the QB and leader of that team should not contribute to the unity and chemistry of that football team by trying to rally his guys as the season begins and emphasize their need to be there?
And you guys are saying that in missing the season due to injury, Walker is entitled to a multi-million dollar contract even though he's not contributing this season?
Unbelievable!

Walker will get his payday if he returns to form next season and is a contributing factor.
Until then, he's entitled to nothing.
Players are paid exorbatant amounts because of what they can contribute to the team. If a player is injured, he can't contribute and therefor isn't entitled to the big payday. It's unlucky, but it's the way it is.

It's that frivolous distribution of money that can tarnish this league like the MLB. If someone is going to receive millions of dollars for playing a sport, in the least, you should expect them to earn it for crying out loud.

And if you didn't notice... GB got stomped by DET last week. Maybe Walker's absence during TC did have an affect on their chemistry.

Holdouts... pathetic.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yep, that is why I like Michael Irvin because he always speaks his mind. Favre should have handled it like Donovan handled the T.O. contract dispute, just should have minded his own business.

If I just got paid big time by the Company I work for, there is no way in heck I am going to be a Company Man and speak out against one of my co-workers for trying to get his money too.

You always try to maximize the amount of money you can. Your not always going to be hot and life is way too short to be undervalued.

- Mike G.

alpha

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
Walker and Terrell Owens and whoever else wants to complain has that right, but they both signed contracts that no one forced them too, and they both signed them knowing how the CBA works and that the situation sometimes favors the owners.

Javon and TO's situation aren't comparable, IMHO.

TO's one of the most well compensated WRs in the game, and is upset he's not THE highest paid just one year into his deal (even though the Players Association warned him not to sign his current contract with the Eagles because it was a below market offer).

Javon is still playing under his rookie contract. Even if you include the signing bonus he recieved as a rook it still doesn't make up for the inequity in his relative compensation. I wonder how many of us would be willing to work for half your market value, knowing you're risking never seeing the fair compensation you've earned.

Thunderstruck

Reaction score
Rack said:
Favre didn't backstab Walker either. He may have over stepped his boundaries, but he did "Back stab" anyone.

Okay, it was a frontal assualt then. In this case, the frontal assault was actually worse for the situation than the backstab.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
An owner has complete leverage on any player and what that player makes. So the non-sense about the team not receiving compensation for draftees or FA's that don't pan out is the franchises problem.

These organizations make hundreds of millions of dollars and are set for generations to come.

A player has himself, and that's it.

The players love this game, but if you are going to play a game where the market is "hot" and ever changing of personnel, then you'd better bust your butt to be good, and get paid as much as you can before you are a useless thorough-bread race horse.

Every one of you hypocrites would be trying to make as much money as you can if you were average one year, and the best the next year.

Players come out early only when their draft status is at its highest peak. Why? It's the difference in millions of dollars.

So it's real easy for Favre to sit back with his ca-jillion dollars and throw around his power on national TV, while this guy is just trying to do what anyone in this world would try to do. Make as much money as he can while he's hot, before the "well" runs dry.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Rack said:
Absolutely nothing. I have no problem with what Favre did except that he did it in public. He should of just gave Walker a phone call.

The point I was trying to make has nothing to do with Favre.

I agree. Favre, as the QB, should be involved but it should have been in the back round as opposed to an interview to ESPN.

This is my point. Contract, it self, is secondary for me.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Okay, it was a frontal assualt then. In this case, the frontal assault was actually worse for the situation than the backstab.

:rolleyes:

What Fave did was wrong. There's no doubt about it. But it sure as hell wasn't "worse then a back stab". Gimme a break.

Thunderstruck

Reaction score
Rack said:

What Fave did was wrong. There's no doubt about it. But it sure as hell wasn't "worse then a back stab". Gimme a break.

You tell me what would tick you off more; a big name player saying something behind your back to someone else, or a big name player essentially calling you a dumb**** in the media. I dunno about you, but I think I'd rather it be kept in-house than have a future hall-of-famer and a guy who is largely in control of how often I get the ball telling everyone on earth that I need to get into camp.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
or a big name player essentially calling you a dumb**** in the media

When did Favre call Walker a dumb****? Oh that's right... HE DIDN'T. So your point isn't valid.

Big D

Reaction score
I can see both sides of this but in the end I think Favres in the wrong. Walkers dealings with management is absolutley NONE of Favres business. Nothing is gauranteed to the players so it was Walkers fault that he didnt stick to his guns but Favre didn't help matters out any by publicy siding with management.

I'ts funny how ppl have no sympathy for the players who make millions of dollars for playing a game and then turn a blind eye to the hundreds of millions the owner are making and have been making since the NFL's inception and are just now beginning to 'share the wealth'.

I'm not saying the owners are not entitled , they invest the money and deserve what they get, but the league does not run without the players.

jem88

Reaction score
I think that you have to be careful about taking black and white stands on issues like this. Given the short length of the average career, the high costs of medical bills and other expenses, I don't have a big problem with Walker asking for a raise and trying to get paid somewhere close to the market value of a Pro Bowl, #1 WR (the same way a business executive who works no harder than the average school teacher, will still expect to be paid on a par with his executive peers.)

Owens, on the other hand, is already being paid what appears to be his market value. I've heard that he's in the top 5 for WR salaries (anyone care to verify? Adam?!) and I believe he's certainly a top 5 WR but not necessarily top 3 (I'd take Moss, Harrison and Holt over him.) Furthermore, I get a bit sick of Owens saying that 'it's just business' but then doing everything he can to involve his teammates, the media and the fans in his 'business' (ignoring teammates, sit-ups in front of the camera, etc.) Walker didn't ask for anybody but the Packer organization, his agent and himself to be involved in his business (something Favre should have realized.) Owens however, turned his dispute into a public crusade and did nothing to diminish the selfish, immature reputation he has cultivated over the last five years.

jay cee

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
This is an issue when he would have pocketed a signing bonus twenty times that number. Walker's compensation should be settled between the team and himself. He needed support, not derision, from his teammates.

When Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek held out in 1992, Troy Aikman was faxing them the plays. That's called support!
Now that's what I'm talking about. That's support and leadership.

Some people here think that I don't respect what Aikman did for the Cowboys. But that's not true. And that is a perfect testament to what Aikman meant to the Cowboys.