Irving lighter, wants to lose more weight?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm concerned. The moves don't make sense to me.

Well, I like that Gathers' base appears thicker, but I do wonder how it will affect his speed. He wasn't the fastest tight end out there so gaining weight to make himself a better blocker might take away from what he was showing as a receiver. Of course, if he can't block as well as he needs to, he's not going to get a chance beyond the preseason to show what he can do as a receiver.

If we're making Crawford a full-time defensive end, then it also makes sense for him to slim down some. He added bulk when he became a 3-tech that he doesn't need as an end because it takes away from his quickness. However, as you know, I do not agree with making him a full-time end because I think what movement skills he has are suited for 3-tech but keep him from being more than just an OK end.

I have less trouble with Irving getting under 300. His primary attributes are his length and quickness. I initially thought he was trying to drop to around 275 (and was currently 290) and feel that would have been a terrible idea. I do think 290 needs to be his low weight, though, because he's not always going to win with length and quickness and needs to have some bulk behind him when he has to fight with power. However, I'm not sure I can quibble with him being 5 pounds less than that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I like that Gathers' base appears thicker, but I do wonder how it will affect his speed. He wasn't the fastest tight end out there so gaining weight to make himself a better blocker might take away from what he was showing as a receiver. Of course, if he can't block as well as he needs to, he's not going to get a chance beyond the preseason to show what he can do as a receiver.

The guy looked slow and plodding in the OTA footage I watched. The weight looked like a minus to me, not a plus.

If we're making Crawford a full-time defensive end, then it also makes sense for him to slim down some. He added bulk when he became a 3-tech that he doesn't need as an end because it takes away from his quickness. However, as you know, I do not agree with making him a full-time end because I think what movement skills he has are suited for 3-tech but keep him from being more than just an OK end.

Agreed. And the numbers and defensive end and defensive tackle don't support it either.

I have less trouble with Irving getting under 300. His primary attributes are his length and quickness. I initially thought he was trying to drop to around 275 (and was currently 290) and feel that would have been a terrible idea. I do think 290 needs to be his low weight, though, because he's not always going to win with length and quickness and needs to have some bulk behind him when he has to fight with power. However, I'm not sure I can quibble with him being 5 pounds less than that.

Yeah, from what I'm reading, he's looking to take his weight significantly below that, which I don't agree with. He can get in shape without losing twenty pounds of weight.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, from what I'm reading, he's looking to take his weight significantly below that, which I don't agree with. He can get in shape without losing twenty pounds of weight.

Well, if he's at 303, then 20 pounds would put him at 283. I think the 15 to 20 comment means he's looking at 285 as a target.

gimmesix

Reaction score
The guy looked slow and plodding in the OTA footage I watched. The weight looked like a minus to me, not a plus.

Fans were talking about him looking slow and plodding in camp last year, then he did great in the preseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fans were talking about him looking slow and plodding in camp last year, then he did great in the preseason.

I'm willing to let things play out, but I'm not encouraged about his chances.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
285 is his playing weight.....right now he's out of shape and overweight.

kevm3

Reaction score
Irving is a guy that shows up when it comes time to play. For whatever reason, certain guys just have it, even when they don't have the best practice habits. If social media was around during the 90s team, people would want 90% of the team cut knowing some of the antics that went on back then... white house anyone? but we're super concerned about Irving missing a few practices because he's a victim of an insane female?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Agreed. And the numbers and defensive end and defensive tackle don't support it either.

Rico has always looked "slow and plodding" yet he gets open and uses his body to screen defenders well. His hands and body control are remarkable. Guy is 6'8" with wide hips and shoulders. 270 on him is like 250 on a typical 6'2" player. Given that he doesn't have natural leverage I see how it could help blocking.

Crawford has consistently gotten pressure as a DE. You know the numbers as we have had this argument every year for 3 years now. He also plays the run well racking up TFL at a nice clip. His issues has been finishing with that short area burst you need to do ti well and getting hurt playing tackle. Getting the weight down helps that.

Further the depth issue at DT is overblown. Collins and Irving will be there for TC and you still have Price, Ash, Ward, Jones, and UDFA types. Crawford and others can still kick inside on the nickel. At the end of the day though Crawford gets too banged up playing the 3.

Irving is looking to play at 290 from the 305 he is at now which is just about perfect for the 5 and 3. He cannot get into shape without losing bad weight which apparently he has.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico has always looked "slow and plodding" yet he gets open and uses his body to screen defenders well. His hands and body control are remarkable. Guy is 6'8" with wide hips and shoulders. 270 on him is like 250 on a typical 6'2" player. Given that he doesn't have natural leverage I see how it could help blocking.

Crawford has consistently gotten pressure as a DE. You know the numbers as we have had this argument every year for 3 years now. He also plays the run well racking up TFL at a nice clip. His issues has been finishing with that short area burst you need to do ti well and getting hurt playing tackle. Getting the weight down helps that.

Further the depth issue at DT is overblown. Collins and Irving will be there for TC and you still have Price, Ash, Ward, Jones, and UDFA types. Crawford and others can still kick inside on the nickel. At the end of the day though Crawford gets too banged up playing the 3.

Irving is looking to play at 290 from the 305 he is at now which is just about perfect for the 5 and 3. He cannot get into shape without losing bad weight which apparently he has.

I have more concerns about DT. 1-tech specifically. Not enough options who can play it. I don’t care about the pass rush part of it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have more concerns about DT. 1-tech specifically. Not enough options who can play it. I don’t care about the pass rush part of it.

None can play like Fletcher Cox or prime Haloti Ngata but Price is a fine 2 down player who flashes pass rush potential; his upside is at least what McClain gave which is plenty good. Ash doesn't have the upside but anchors just fine. Collins does alright in a pinch.

The ideal is not walking through that door just like it's not for about 27 other teams in the NFL. How many 2 down players do you think we need given that?

Anywho Crawford makes no difference there anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None can play like Fletcher Cox or prime Haloti Ngata but Price is a fine 2 down player who flashes pass rush potential; his upside is at least what McClain gave which is plenty good. Ash doesn't have the upside but anchors just fine. Collins does alright in a pinch.

The ideal is not walking through that door just like it's not for about 27 other teams in the NFL. How many 2 down players do you think we need given that?

I just think that the position continues to be undervalued to this team's detriment.

I like Price as an ascending option but nobody else gives me a good feeling.

Anywho Crawford makes no difference there anyway.

No, he doesn't, but I think I'd feel better about him as an option inside rather than further overloading the end position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And the tweet said, 303 down to 285 is his goal. Not sure where you are getting 290 down to 275.
I hadn't seen the reference to his current weight as 303. Down 15-20 pounds is about right then, putting him about where he was last year.

Update: In that interview above, he said he played at *312*, not the 290 listing of the team. (I really hate that DallasCowboys.com doesn't keep the weights accurate.)

So, I'm back to thinking what the hell is going on with his weight management. He's aiming at 25-30 lbs less than last year, when he was pretty good. That's a big difference in weight.

Update 2: From interview: "I'll drop down to 280, 285 if I can." Sounds too light at 3tech to me.

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
I thought he was supposed to be adding size this offseason.

This is from DC.com:

Not sure what his actual playing weight was last season, but I thought it was around 280. Maybe that was just what he was listed at. The way he played for the eight weeks he was available, though, I don't think he needs to be messing with his 2017 weight much. He gets skinnier, it could hurt his run defense. He gets fatter, it could slow his explosiveness.

I guess we'll see how it works out.

Should have lost the weight between his ears. Busted!! Take a 4 game seat derf derf boy

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hadn't seen the reference to his current weight as 303. Down 15-20 pounds is about right then, putting him about where he was last year.

Update: In that interview above, he said he played at *312*, not the 290 listing of the team. (I really hate that DallasCowboys.com doesn't keep the weights accurate.)

So, I'm back to thinking what the hell is going on with his weight management. He's aiming at 25-30 lbs less than last year, when he was pretty good. That's a big difference in weight.

Update 2: From interview: "I'll drop down to 280, 285 if I can." Sounds too light at 3tech to me.

Doesn’t matter now, he is suspended for 4 games. Lol.