Is a culture of accountability that hard?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
For many years now, Cowboys fans have sung the same refrain of complaint: Jerry is ruining the team, the players are not accountable, there's no discipline, if only Jimmy were still here, etc.

The confusing thing is - none of this accountability part sounds hard at all. It sounds like Management 101 stuff.

If a player keeps playing badly, cut or demote him.

If a player has bad off the field issues, cut him.

Keep churning the bottom of the roster; someone who's undrafted or a 7th-rounder may still be a diamond in the rough, like Romo.

Don't insist on starting someone just because he's a first rounder or paid a lot.

Structure all contracts to the benefit of the team, not the player.

Reward the lunch pail, blue collar type of guy. Draft and sign those guys.

Ditch the prima donna guys.

All of this is stuff that any business undergrad student or casual Zoner on this board could come up with. Is it so hard that an NFL head coach - one of only 32 in the whole nation - can't?
Well Jerry is the real HC, and he cant/ wont do any of that lol. Maybe he needs to go back to school.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If there's one thing about Micah Parsons' rookie year that made me get that weird, nagging "Oh no, time is a flat circle and I know what's gonna happen next 'cause this has all already happened before" feeling in the pit of my stomach, it's the time he spent in press conferences or on twitter trying to make various different nicknames happen. Like he was constantly workshopping lion-themed nicknames or nickname concepts, throwing stuff out there to see what sticks so he might be able to turn it into a thing and monetize it. Maybe it's nothing and he's just having fun, and he's great and he'll stay great. I hope so. Or maybe this is a sign that he's gonna end up going down the path so many of our young guys went down, where their #1 interest ended up being their own brand. If he comes up with some kind of signal or hand gesture he starts repeating all the time on the field (like Jaylon's swipe and Zeke's spoon-feeding and Ceedee's nose wipe and Dez's X), I'm definitely gonna wonder if he's caught the bug, too.
It could happen, like the owner, they will all prioritize making money over winning championships

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I guarantee you that at this moment there are 1,000 high school football coaches who do run a tight ship and preach hard accountability.

So if they can do it at the HS level, why can't an NFL coach?

Yes I know, Jerry, but even still a coach has a lot of power.

plasticman

Reaction score
The problem of accountability for the Cowboys is stark, naked hypocrisy for all to see.

Accountability starts at the top. of the organization chart.

How many times would any other GM be terminated for this team's performance record? Three? Four?

kskboys

Reaction score
The problem of accountability for the Cowboys is stark, naked hypocrisy for all to see.

Accountability starts at the top. of the organization chart.

How many times would any other GM be terminated for this team's performance record? Three? Four?
I'm thinking more like 8-10.

AyeAtey

Reaction score
It is if you don't have a leader(s); on or off the field.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don't disagree but it is much harder to replace players than employee at a normal business. Jimmy brought discipline but if you go back Jimmy never cut a top player because of a mistake. Jimmy did not bench Emmitt when he would fall asleep during meetings. There is a bit of a balancing act where teams can't bench talent and with limited roster only so much you can do. For instance Cowboys tried to bench Williams and replace him, however replacement faired worse. As for contracts market sets values so if you plan on keeping guys until their rookie contract is up then release them the other alternative is pay them.

The genius of Jimmy was that the stars knew that, but still played with fear of the head coach. I agree, the Williams benching is a good example of player mismanagement. Big Mac probably thought he was sending a good message but ended up shuffling the offensive line so much in ways that stopped making sense, it killed our offense and they never fully recovered. Jimmy wouldn’t make a mistake like that.