Is Anae somewhat like Vontaze Burfict without the baggage?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Probably Takkarist McKinley. Anae's 40 doesnt really matter. His 1.69 shows he has very good explosion. His 3 cone drill like McKinley's was pretty bad. Very stiff. McKinley is also a high effort guy.

Like McKinley' we probably have a rusher with good upfield explosions, but too stiff to be experienced to rush from a 7 gap or maybe even an 8. However he should be an effective wide gap rusher. .

He looks like a good player to have in your arsenal as a defensive coordinator, but probably not an every down player

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Is Anae a little bit like Vontaze Burfict without Burfict without the baggage. Not great speed but gets it done anyway?

Yes, I realize Burfict was a linebacker and Anae is a DE. But they seem similar in the way they get the job done.
Can only pray that we got some crazy,,, lol,,
No,, Burfict was crazy, as in mental,, Anae aint that.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
He reminds me of a bigger Rolando McClain: He's violent when he gets to the ball carrier or when someone is in his way of getting to the ball carrier.

He's Blinding Me With Violence! wait, wrong lyric. lol

Oneiros

Reaction score
Probably Takkarist McKinley. Anae's 40 doesnt really matter. His 1.69 shows he has very good explosion. His 3 cone drill like McKinley's was pretty bad. Very stiff. McKinley is also a high effort guy.

Like McKinley' we probably have a rusher with good upfield explosions, but too stiff to be experienced to rush from a 7 gap or maybe even an 8. However he should be an effective wide gap rusher. .

He looks like a good player to have in your arsenal as a defensive coordinator, but probably not an every down player
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about his 40 time. Just by watching his play you can tell that in short spaces he's quite explosive and has a quick first step.

I think he has a chance to be a solid rotation pass rusher, and in time could develop into a starter for us.

He seems to be the type of player that Jim Tomsula absolutely loves.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Reminds me of Trent Cole..build and playing style.

Cole 6-3/270 90.5 career sacks
8751600-trent-cole-nfl-preseason-indianapolis-colts-philadelphia-eagles.jpg

Bradlee Anae 6-3/260 29.5 sacks in college
a-bradlee-anae.png

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Reminds me of Trent Cole..build and playing style.

Cole 6-3/270 90.5 career sacks
8751600-trent-cole-nfl-preseason-indianapolis-colts-philadelphia-eagles.jpg

Bradlee Anae 6-3/260 29.5 sacks in college
a-bradlee-anae.png
Cole was a 5th round pick too

Cole had a much better 3 cone though. 6.98 to 7.44. More suited to being a 7 gap rusher coming out of college. I think Anae is going to be more of a stand of a stand up player, at least in the early portion of his career

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Terrell Suggs?
Exactly who I thought of.
Elite collegiate pass rush production but was let down by being a tad undersized mixed with a terrible 40 time.

Baltimore drafted him in R1 and he was fine if not elite for a very long time for them.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Cole was a 5th round pick too

Cole had a much better 3 cone though. 6.98 to 7.44. More suited to being a 7 gap rusher coming out of college. I think Anae is going to be more of a stand of a stand up player, at least in the early portion of his career
Cole was an OLB and only 232 pounds at the combine.
He grew into where Anea is now.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
When I was reading about “best available players” before day 3 started, Anae was towards the top of every list. He was at the top of Kiper’s best available nearly all day Saturday until we picked him. (Same goes for Biadasz).

I think Anae is a legit player. His production was off the charts. For a highly ranked team and a great defense. If he had a decent 40 time, he’s a second round edge player. Everything else is there. His game film is fantastic.

I cannot believe we got Anae and Biadasz where we did. They’re just as big of steals as CeeDee and Diggs, just not as sexy.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Terrell Suggs?

That is a great comparison. Both guys have average measurables. Too slow. Arms too short. Too small. Not strong enough. Blah blah blah. Despite all their “shortcomings” they were extremely productive players. Just really good football players. Look at Hill. All the physical traits but the guy can’t play.

Suggs is a great comparison. Let’s hope!

Madtowner

Reaction score
How about Derek Barnett? They are virtually clones as far as size and measurables (minus Three Cone Drill). Barnett never benched pre-draft. Both highly productive college careers from teams in Power 5 conferences. One goes in Round 1, the other at end of Round 5.

Barnett listed first
Player Dimensions
Height: 74.63 inches vs. 75 inches
Weight: 259 pounds vs. 257 pounds
BMI: 33.48 vs. 32.9
Arm Length: 32.13 inches vs. 32.13
Hand Size: 10.00 inches vs. 10.13 inches

NFL Combine Measurables
40 Yard Dash: 4.88 seconds vs. 4.93 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 16.76 (MPH) vs. 16.59 (MPH)
20 Yard Split: 2.84 seconds vs. 2.83 seconds
10 Yard Split: 1.69 seconds vs. 1.69 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb) vs. 25 reps
Vertical Leap: 31.0 inches vs. 31.0 inches
Broad Jump: 112 inches* vs. 115 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.44 seconds vs. 4.44 seconds
Three cone: 6.96 seconds vs. 7.44 seconds
*Pro Day result

bewp7

Reaction score
i do like the idea of drafting productive overachievers (overachiever is probably not the right word) with not the best measurables instead of underachieving workout warriors with no heart i will say that.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I think Anae is someone that would have benefited from having a pro-day. I bet he would have performed better and moved up a round or two.
Good luck for us though, I think he is going to be a baller. Some guys can just play.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
How about Derek Barnett? They are virtually clones as far as size and measurables (minus Three Cone Drill). Barnett never benched pre-draft. Both highly productive college careers from teams in Power 5 conferences. One goes in Round 1, the other at end of Round 5.

Barnett listed first
Player Dimensions
Height: 74.63 inches vs. 75 inches
Weight: 259 pounds vs. 257 pounds
BMI: 33.48 vs. 32.9
Arm Length: 32.13 inches vs. 32.13
Hand Size: 10.00 inches vs. 10.13 inches

NFL Combine Measurables
40 Yard Dash: 4.88 seconds vs. 4.93 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 16.76 (MPH) vs. 16.59 (MPH)
20 Yard Split: 2.84 seconds vs. 2.83 seconds
10 Yard Split: 1.69 seconds vs. 1.69 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb) vs. 25 reps
Vertical Leap: 31.0 inches vs. 31.0 inches
Broad Jump: 112 inches* vs. 115 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.44 seconds vs. 4.44 seconds
Three cone: 6.96 seconds vs. 7.44 seconds
*Pro Day result
That's eerily similar.

Only difference is we got Anae with the last pick in the 5th, and the Eagles spent a 1st on Barnett.

fivetwos

Reaction score
He looks on the short side, much like a Melvin Ingram. But then he lists at 6'3 so what do I know?

If he is HALF of what any of these guys mentioned on this page are...on the field anyway...

He is on the right team. Even if Gregory and Smith return, I cant see it as a long term situation, and Anae will get his chance.