Is Anae somewhat like Vontaze Burfict without the baggage?

fivetwos

Reaction score
That is a great comparison. Both guys have average measurables. Too slow. Arms too short. Too small. Not strong enough. Blah blah blah. Despite all their “shortcomings” they were extremely productive players. Just really good football players. Look at Hill. All the physical traits but the guy can’t play.

Suggs is a great comparison. Let’s hope!
I mentioned that just after he was picked and Kiper said the knock on him was a 40 time just under 5.

Suggs didnt have a great 40 time either, but how often do you need the guy to run 40 yards in a straight line during a game? Never.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Cole was a 5th round pick too

Cole had a much better 3 cone though. 6.98 to 7.44. More suited to being a 7 gap rusher coming out of college. I think Anae is going to be more of a stand of a stand up player, at least in the early portion of his career
Ahhh yes...there you go. Great comp! Perfect. That's the guy. I think it's a very realistic expectation. IIRC Cole was taken around the 3rd round, probably where Anae should have gone.

Edit....didnt see the line where you mentioned 5th for Cole.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Anae a little bit like Vontaze Burfict without Burfict without the baggage. Not great speed but gets it done anyway?

Yes, I realize Burfict was a linebacker and Anae is a DE. But they seem similar in the way they get the job done.

Don't look at the measurements. Just watch the game footage.

Burfict had obvious NFL ability. No need for measurements to know that. His real issue was being insane.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I mentioned that just after he was picked and Kiper said the knock on him was a 40 time just under 5.

Suggs didnt have a great 40 time either, but how often do you need the guy to run 40 yards in a straight line during a game? Never.
Suggs was my comp too as a P5 guy from a good Pac defense but not from the overrated USC or Oregon programs(earned overrating w consistent success).
4.84 for Suggs. 4.93 for Anae.
Another guy is Trent Murphy.
Murphy was a taller guy but about same weight and like Anae not exactly leanly muscled.
P12 shows Murphy had 32.5 sacks at Stanford, Anae 29.5 for Utah.
Murphy ran a 4.86 at 250.

Verdict

Reaction score

Burfict had obvious NFL ability. No need for measurements to know that. His real issue was being insane.

Speed is an asset. Lack of speed is not an asset. That doesn’t mean that a slower player can’t get it done, it just means that player isn’t likely to get it done with speed.

Some have said that a 40 time is irrelevant for a DE. It’s not irrelevant. But it’s less relevant than some other measureables.

A player’s short area quickness matters more at DE if that player is going to use speed to beat the OT.

A player can be relatively slow, if he can bull rush over an OL. The problem is, in the NFL, OL are bigger and stronger than the OL are in college. So if they only have a bull rush they better be really bad *** or have excellent technique.

The less tools a player has the lesser the chance of them succeeding in the NFL.

Having said all of the foregoing, I would lean toward Anae probably succeeding in the NFL due to pretty much ALL of the talking heads saying he will be a steal for the Cowboys.

But the fact he doesn’t have speed will not HELP him succeed in the NFL.

Verdict

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not overly worried about his 40 time. Just by watching his play you can tell that in short spaces he's quite explosive and has a quick first step.

I think he has a chance to be a solid rotation pass rusher, and in time could develop into a starter for us.

He seems to be the type of player that Jim Tomsula absolutely loves.

They said the same thing about Taco and Hill. That doesn’t mean this guy can’t get it done. I’m just sayin’....

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Is Anae a little bit like Vontaze Burfict without Burfict without the baggage. Not great speed but gets it done anyway?

Yes, I realize Burfict was a linebacker and Anae is a DE. But they seem similar in the way they get the job done.
How in the hell do you get that comparison?

Verdict

Reaction score

Burfict was slow for a LB, but he did get it done. Too bad he was a nut.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

I always wondered about 40 times in running gear on a track vs football gear on a FB field. How much "time" football gear would shave off of some players, but not others.

He looks fast to me when he breaks free to the QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Burfict was slow for a LB, but he did get it done. Too bad he was a nut.
That part about being 'a nut' says it all.

If I was a player and got compared to him..

I would immediately demand they take it back or else.

:rolleyes:

Williamsboys

Reaction score
Serious question, Can you teach speed once you make the NFL. I don't mean going from Tony Romo speed to Lightning Bolt speed, I simply mean a "little bit" of speed??

fivetwos

Reaction score
Certain guys...maybe they arent freak athletes or whatever, but when you ask them to get to the QB...and only a handful of times a game...they can get it done.

I'm excited to see what he can do in camp. I expect him to play a role on certain 3rd down packages this year. He is no practice squad type.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
Yeah he is a beast. He has a non stop motor and hes violent with that alpha swagger. He reminds me of James Harrison from the steelers. A bigger version.
If he ever gets to you, 4.9 "speed", you better watch out. He is like the Austin Powers steamroller

Oneiros

Reaction score
They said the same thing about Taco and Hill. That doesn’t mean this guy can’t get it done. I’m just sayin’....
I get what you're saying, trust me, I do. But I trust the judgment of our current regime over anything that Rod use to say.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I always wondered about 40 times in running gear on a track vs football gear on a FB field. How much "time" football gear would shave off of some players, but not others.

He looks fast to me when he breaks free to the QB.
Yep.

Theres guys that would beat him in the 40 that cant get around that edge.

Gimme the slow guy all day.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
That is a great comparison. Both guys have average measurables. Too slow. Arms too short. Too small. Not strong enough. Blah blah blah. Despite all their “shortcomings” they were extremely productive players. Just really good football players. Look at Hill. All the physical traits but the guy can’t play.

Suggs is a great comparison. Let’s hope!
Attitude and “want to” are hard to measure. I think that’s what will make Anae a very good pro!

Oneiros

Reaction score

If we're relying upon a DT/DE having to chase down a player for 40 yards then we have a whole world of other problems.