Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?
He's literally been the same guy as he as ever been this year. He's living off of all of the stat padding that happened against a clueless Giants defense. When the season and it all averages out he's going to be in the same spot as always.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
He's literally been the same guy as he as ever been this year. He's living off of all of the stat padding that happened against a clueless Giants defense. When the season and it all averages out he's going to be in the same spot as always.
I'm convinced people don't watch games just see stats and listen to what people on tv who have their similar pov say. Outside of the first 3 games he hasn't been that good. He's had some good throws like the one to Amari in the Eagles game but overall he's been his old average self. Not good not bad.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I was wondering coming into the season, but he has played well. Rumors were he fixed his accuracy issues where he was missing by inches instead of by feet in OTAs and training camp. He still has some balls slightly behind receivers but most are still catchable. He's also slinging the ball downfield more often and not missing wide open receivers like he used to. He's even averaging over 300 yards per game right now when people were complaining he was under 200 last year. He's improved a lot, IMO. The goal posts just keep being moved for the guy though.

leeblair

Reaction score

I think Dak can survive in the Cowboys system and do pretty well.
But if he has to be asked to raise the team to a higher level based on his ability, he will fail.
I've studied Dak in college and nothing has changed. He does well when he has a lot of time to throw and against weaker teams, but under pressure he cannot function.
I think it's extremely risky for the Cowboys to offer him a contract over 3 yrs. If they do, it may seal their fate for many years to come.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Yes. He's a YAC burglar, leaves meat on the bone. I just don't see him as elite and being able to shoulder a team. I think 33-35 million is a bit much but that just may be the cost of doing business. As a fan I'm not going to get bent out of shape by his contract numbers, I will continue to do what I do and that's cheer for him and the Cowboys every time they take the field.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I'm convinced people don't watch games just see stats and listen to what people on tv who have their similar pov say. Outside of the first 3 games he hasn't been that good. He's had some good throws like the one to Amari in the Eagles game but overall he's been his old average self. Not good not bad.
Forget the first three games, if you remove just the Giants game he drops all the way down to 20th in passer rating and 12th in adjusted yards per attempt. He's living off one game where the Giants left everyone so open, my grandmother would have had 5 TD passes. He's the same guy.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I'm convinced you don't know what your eyes are telling you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

He's had some brain farts, but for the most part, the losses we've suffered have been due to drops and bad defense.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You sure it's not you who isn't watching the games?

If you think he looks the same this year as he did in 2017 or half of last year, wow.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak is good and can be very good at times but he is not elite imho because he doesn't have elite arm talent. After our 1st 3 games i had him moving up from 16 to about 12 as he was scoring TD's at a much better rate but he still struggles against good defenses here. Our passing game is very QB friendly, with good players at all positions and a RB that must be respected even during a bad game.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Dak can survive in the Cowboys system and do pretty well.
But if he has to be asked to raise the team to a higher level based on his ability, he will fail.
I've studied Dak in college and nothing has changed. He does well when he has a lot of time to throw and against weaker teams, but under pressure he cannot function.
I think it's extremely risky for the Cowboys to offer him a contract over 3 yrs. If they do, it may seal their fate for many years to come.
Agree with you there. He does get flustered when pressure comes.

But a lot of QBs do, ya know? Guys like Goff and Brees look very pedestrian when pressure is there

kento40

Reaction score
If 33-35m a year is what it costs for a bus driver in this league, then so be it. Dude was a 4th rounder for a reason, I'm no longer expecting a 1st rounder upside or ceiling. It's when the people here try to compare him to real elite Qb's like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson, using obscure stats that don't translate into wins that sends the forum into a frenzy. Respect him for what he is and what he brings to the table, temper your expectations and stop making him out to be more than he is and you won't be as upset when he throws those passes behind his receivers or the ones where they have to be 7 feet tall to catch.

catiii

Reaction score
Man I can't make a judgement call on him because I honestly don't know who is better that would be available.
But I can say what my eyes have seen this year?

Tough,confident,and seems fearless
Can go downfield, but not a truly long passer in arm strength
Tendency to be a bit off target, but usually within the 50-50 chance catch area o_O
Can throw spot on target but not always
Minimizes mistakes/turnovers
Better than the Dallas backups I've seen
Can pull off the escape sometimes with strength and speed, not quite as agile as Romo but more willing to run which I like!
Willing to run for the 1st if it's there, ignoring the influence of the HC, and I like that
Ability to sustain a drive

Honestly? I see more to like and less to dislike. :D
Our losses are not on Dak IMO.
(They are on JG feeding instructions to Moore during the game and yeah I've seen it.
If anyone cant see the difference in games 1-3, 7, compared to the ones we lost, then you weren't watching the games!
The losses were so far different in play calls it's not even funny.)

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score

I like Dak as the QB, lots of positives I don't find in many QBs. But I would not pay him elite QB money because he's not elite. But what to do? We don't have anyone else. So I guess I'd have to say I'd be ok with 30. If he wants anything more than that just Transition tag him. No one in this entire league is going to offer him more than 35m. We'll just have to match whatever they offer him. Dallas has nothing to lose if Dak is asking for top dollar. It's just business. He doesn't have to care about the cap, the Cowboys do. Both can play that game.