Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If 33-35m a year is what it costs for a bus driver in this league, then so be it. Dude was a 4th rounder for a reason, I'm no longer expecting a 1st rounder upside or ceiling. It's when the people here try to compare him to real elite Qb's like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson, using obscure stats that don't translate into wins that sends the forum into a frenzy. Respect him for what he is and what he brings to the table, temper your expectations and stop making him out to be more than he is and you won't be as upset when he throws those passes behind his receivers or the ones where they have to be 7 feet tall to catch.
Can't argue with you there. Completion percentage and QBR don't always show an accurate measure of the player.

He isn't, and probably never will be one of those all-world, elite QBs. But those guys don't grow on trees. Some franchises have wallowed in mediocrity for 20 years in search for a QB as good as Dak, though.

Not the best, but definitely acceptable.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You sure it's not you who isn't watching the games?

If you think he looks the same this year as he did in 2017 or half of last year, wow.
He's always the same player but Amari makes him look better. I watch the games but I guess not like you Dakstorians that think this average guy has improved so much.

cowboygo

Reaction score
If 33-35m a year is what it costs for a bus driver in this league, then so be it. Dude was a 4th rounder for a reason, I'm no longer expecting a 1st rounder upside or ceiling. It's when the people here try to compare him to real elite Qb's like Rodgers, Brady and Wilson, using obscure stats that don't translate into wins that sends the forum into a frenzy. Respect him for what he is and what he brings to the table, temper your expectations and stop making him out to be more than he is and you won't be as upset when he throws those passes behind his receivers or the ones where they have to be 7 feet tall to catch.
"Dude was 4th rounder for a reason", then mentions a 6th rounder and 3rd rounder. No one knows what his ceiling is.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I like Dak as the QB, lots of positives I don't find in many QBs. But I would not pay him elite QB money because he's not elite. But what to do? We don't have anyone else. So I guess I'd have to say I'd be ok with 30. If he wants anything more than that just Transition tag him. No one in this entire league is going to offer him more than 35m. We'll just have to match whatever they offer him. Dallas has nothing to lose if Dak is asking for top dollar. It's just business. He doesn't have to care about the cap, the Cowboys do. Both can play that game.
This we don't have anyone else business is junk. That means we have to trade up to pick a potential replacement that may fail. It isn't that hard. Now whether that pick so successful or not is another story but Dak isn't good enough to worry about that.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no doubt Dak is a quality starting QB in this league.

The criticism saying “Dak is not elite” is ridiculous. There are only perhaps 3-5 elite qbs in this league. Are we saying now that unless our QB is a shoe-in HOFer we aren’t interested? Tony Romo was good but was never elite. Danny White took his teams to 3 straight NFC championships but was never “elite”. Dandy Don Meredith was very good but never elite.

We have had two elite QBs in this team’s history and they are both in the HOF. If that’s the only kind of QB Cowboys fans will accept, we are going to be in for a long wait.

Dak is good enough to go deep in the playoffs. He’s the least of this team's problems.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's always the same player but Amari makes him look better. I watch the games but I guess not like you Dakstorians that think this average guy has improved so much.
Bro, go back and see how I used to feel about Dak. I was called a Dak hater many-a-time. I couldn't stand the guy.

I'm not trying to say he's the best QB out there - but I do think he's the best option we have.

And I agree with you about Cooper. Then again though, outside of the Bradys and Rodgers', what QB doesn't need talent around them to be successful?

kento40

Reaction score
"Dude was 4th rounder for a reason", then mentions a 6th rounder and 3rd rounder.
Yes, that's to say temper your expectations, but obviously with your attempt to be edgy, you missed the point. To compare him to already elites using obscure stats when he doesn't deserve to be in the same convo as those guys is what makes homers, well, homers. Continue to be edgy though, as if it adds anything to the discussion.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Bro, go back and see how I used to feel about Dak. I was called a Dak hater many-a-time. I couldn't stand the guy.

I'm not trying to say he's the best QB out there - but I do think he's the best option we have.

And I agree with you about Cooper. Then again though, outside of the Bradys and Rodgers', what QB doesn't need talent around them to be successful?
Seriously. Only Dak can't have weapons. Even Brady and Rodgers have had weapons and strong O-Lines.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Yes, that's to say temper your expectations, but obviously with your attempt to be edgy, you missed the point. To compare him to already elites using obscure stats when he doesn't deserve to be in the same convo as those guys is what makes homers, well, homers. Continue to be edgy though, as if it adds anything to the discussion.
To be honest, he should be compared to the guys getting their second contracts. Jimmy G, Wentz and Goff. He's definitely in that category.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Seriously. Only Dak can't have weapons. Even Brady and Rodgers have had weapons and strong O-Lines.

Right?! Even Manning and Favre and Montana and Staubach wouldn't have been as successful without the HOF weapons they had around them. Pretty sure their legacy isn't tarnished or diminished because they had a quality supporting cast

cowboygo

Reaction score
I have no doubt Dak is a quality starting QB in this league.

The criticism saying “Dak is not elite” is ridiculous. There are only perhaps 3-5 elite qbs in this league. Are we saying now that unless our QB is a shoe-in HOFer we aren’t interested? Tony Romo was good but was never elite. Danny White took his teams to 3 straight NFC championships but was never “elite”. Dandy Don Meredith was very good but never elite.

We have had two elite QBs in this team’s history and they are both in the HOF. If that’s the only kind of QB Cowboys fans will accept, we are going to be in for a long wait.

Dak is good enough to go deep in the playoffs. He’s the least of this team's problems.
This. Plus, the Jones/McClay FO have kept the team afloat where we are never in position to rebuild with top picks. That is to our fortune or misfortune. We can definitely win with Dak, and is deserving of a second contract. He would command top $ in the open market, whether people like it or not.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

He is the best option we have but I'm not out here advocating for Cooper Rush so I don't get your point on that. I'm a believer first chance you get to replace him you do or let him walk like Washington did with Cousins. He's on that same level as a QB IMO and of you think different ok cool. I'm not trying to change minds. Who said Dak or any QB didn't need talent to be successful? I didn't. There is a difference between needing talent and when you don't have top line talent your play looks like poo and that's Dak unfortunately. I think that difference is where people like to get disingenuous at because I've never said a player needs no talent but if Dak is as good as some claim why can't he up average WR levels?

Flamma

Reaction score
This we don't have anyone else business is junk. That means we have to trade up to pick a potential replacement that may fail. It isn't that hard. Now whether that pick so successful or not is another story but Dak isn't good enough to worry about that.

Dallas can go that route if they want. I agree. But finding a good one is not easy or likely. We can go through the list of quarterbacks drafted over the last two years and I don't think I'd rather have any of them. In fact, there might be one or two QBs in this entire league that isn't elite that I would rather have over Dak. Take away Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, and Mahomes, we're left with bums! None of the rest impress me. So yeah, we could go your route and just get another 4 year rental and lose a lot of picks in the process.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Dallas can go that route if they want. I agree. But finding a good one is not easy or likely. We can go through the list of quarterbacks drafted over the last two years and I don't think I'd rather have any of them. In fact, there might be one or two QBs in this entire league that isn't elite that I would rather have over Dak. Take away Brady, Brees, Wilson, Rodgers, and Mahomes, we're left with bums! None of the rest impress me. So yeah, we could go your route and just get another 4 year rental and lose a lot of picks in the process.
I'm not scarred of that but it seems like as long as something is average you're ok with that. I rather fail trying to improve than just being cool being average with a low chance of big time success.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
To me when it comes to starting QBs in the league you’re always going to have those 5 or so elite HOF types at the top, and 5 or so total duds at the bottom with another 5 or so rookie or 2nd year guys that the jury is still out on. And that leaves 15 or so solid guys that will probably never be in that top category nor that bottom category. And I think Dak will always be somewhere in that middle tier with his positioning based on the talent around him. In other words, Dallas is in the same position as half of the league with a very capable starter that will have ups and downs. You can win a SB with a Dak level guy. Foles, Flacco, and Eli all did it. Basically you can do better than Dak but you can also do a whole lot worse. There’s no reason to send Dak packing as long as your window for winning is open. Once it closes and it’s rebuild time to me that’s when you try to do something to find your Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etcetera.

CB61

Reaction score
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?
I get Cooper deal done and then take a chance on franchising Prescott next year I'd like to see more of this year and on how he responds when the going gets tough I'm not bashing him I'm just not convinced that he's the total package worth that kind of money

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You are another one living in the past. Minshew, Allen and Rudolph are all mid round or later picks who have stepped in and are playing as good or better than Dak... and that’s just this year. It’s not that hard to find competent QBs who can stand in a pocket for 10 seconds and throw to wide open receivers. Dak was a great player in his current contract. We should be trying to find the next Dak, not giving the current one a zillion bucks.

cowboygo

Reaction score
To me when it comes to starting QBs in the league you’re always going to have those 5 or so elite HOF types at the top, and 5 or so total duds at the bottom with another 5 or so rookie or 2nd year guys that the jury is still out on. And that leaves 15 or so solid guys that will probably never be in that top category nor that bottom category. And I think Dak will always be somewhere in that middle tier with his positioning based on the talent around him. In other words, Dallas is in the same position as half of the league with a very capable starter that will have ups and downs. You can win a SB with a Dak level guy. Foles, Flacco, and Eli all did it. Basically you can do better than Dak but you can also do a whole lot worse. There’s no reason to send Dak packing as long as your window for winning is open. Once it closes and it’s rebuild time to me that’s when you try to do something to find your Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etcetera.
Yessir. As mentioned above, we haven't had the luxury of top picks to go through a true rebuild. We rebuilt on the fly through the 8-8 years, changed the O-Line and switched offensive weapons. Our defense is not lined up with top ten talent like the 49ers though. The window is open and we need to try to extend it as long as possible. With a Dak level guy, we need an aggressive FO like the Rams did in acquiring star players. We did it last year with Cooper.

Nav22

Reaction score
He's literally been the same guy as he as ever been this year. He's living off of all of the stat padding that happened against a clueless Giants defense. When the season and it all averages out he's going to be in the same spot as always.
Why was your bottom lip trembling as you typed this?
:angry::angry::angry: