Is anyone still questioning if Dak can be The Guy?

Nav22

Reaction score
#1 in QBR

#8 in passer rating

1st place in NFC East

But have the village idiots tell it and he’s been a total bum who’s no better than Cooper Rush.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is the best option we have but I'm not out here advocating for Cooper Rush so I don't get your point on that. I'm a believer first chance you get to replace him you do or let him walk like Washington did with Cousins. He's on that same level as a QB IMO and of you think different ok cool. I'm not trying to change minds. Who said Dak or any QB didn't need talent to be successful? I didn't. There is a difference between needing talent and when you don't have top line talent your play looks like poo and that's Dak unfortunately. I think that difference is where people like to get disingenuous at because I've never said a player needs no talent but if Dak is as good as some claim why can't he up average WR levels?

I get your point. Shouldn't necessarily need a top-5 WR AND ALSO top-5 RB to be successful. I might come across as stringent in my view, but I do try to be objective.

So you'd be an advocate of acquiring a QB to replace Dak, similar to how the Commanders did with Smith? Do you have any specific names you'd be willing to replace Dak with?

Or you'd rather take a chance on drafting a potential replacement?

cowboygo

Reaction score
You are another one living in the past. Minshew, Allen and Rudolph are all mid round or later picks who have stepped in and are playing as good or better than Dak... and that’s just this year. It’s not that hard to find competent QBs who can stand in a pocket for 10 seconds and throw to wide open receivers. Dak was a great player in his current contract. We should be trying to find the next Dak, not giving the current one a zillion bucks.
I wouldn't include Allen and Rudolph to try to justify that statement. But to your point, at least the FO is doing their due diligence and having a wait and see approach. Dak is delivering and is continuing to earn that 2nd contract. Its going to get expensive, not cheaper to keep him. The price to pay to make sure we've got the right guy, which I believe will be worth it.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Forget the first three games, if you remove just the Giants game he drops all the way down to 20th in passer rating and 12th in adjusted yards per attempt. He's living off one game where the Giants left everyone so open, my grandmother would have had 5 TD passes. He's the same guy.

Lmao yeah. “Let’s just take off 3 games of his stats” please. Do the same for Rodgers, Mahomes, or Wilson and see where they stand.

Hardline

Reaction score
Is Dak the guy? He's far exceeded that 4th round compensatory pick expectation.
Would I pass up Jake Fromm if he was on the board when my pick came up? Not a chance.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not scarred of that but it seems like as long as something is average you're ok with that. I rather fail trying to improve than just being cool being average with a low chance of big time success.

Look dude, I get your point entirely. You make perfect sense. The only part I disagree with is that he's average. There's a big gap between elite and average and he's somewhere in between.

The problem is this team has more problems than a slightly above average QB. This team is not great but for Dak. This team has motivational issues that stem back to 2010. We can't say with a straight face Dak isn't giving 100%. We can with the rest of the team on numerous occasions. This team has a consistency issue which probably is a result of coaching. That has to change first or else replacing the QB isn't helping. How many years have we seen this? Romo was no bum. We seen it with him too.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I get your point. Shouldn't necessarily need a top-5 WR AND ALSO top-5 RB to be successful. I might come across as stringent in my view, but I do try to be objective.

So you'd be an advocate of acquiring a QB to replace Dak, similar to how the Commanders did with Smith? Do you have any specific names you'd be willing to replace Dak with?

Or you'd rather take a chance on drafting a potential replacement?
No I don’t have specific names. I’m just saying when a chance presents itself to do like KC did and draft a blue chip rookie that may or may not be a franchise qb you take it. I don’t think Dak is that good of a qb where you shouldn’t take that chance. Most people that aren’t Dakaholics say similar things about not wanting to try to improve because we might draft a bust. That’s true but we could also draft a stud too. I’m just not a believer of staying average just because you might fail. It feels like some are scarred of failure and rather stay average because of it when they know there is something better possible. I disagree on that notion.

I’d be more for drafting a qb. I don’t think I answered that.

Flamma

Reaction score
You are another one living in the past. Minshew, Allen and Rudolph are all mid round or later picks who have stepped in and are playing as good or better than Dak... and that’s just this year. It’s not that hard to find competent QBs who can stand in a pocket for 10 seconds and throw to wide open receivers. Dak was a great player in his current contract. We should be trying to find the next Dak, not giving the current one a zillion bucks.

Minshew? C'mon, the dude is a great story but he's a bum. He's another one of those QBs that have to wait for a busted play, break out left or right and find a WR open as a result. Otherwise don't expect much from him.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?
He's getting it done. No one is worth that kind of money, but the market is it's own beast. He is making improvements and the losses aren't on him.

jsb357

Reaction score
until there is a sixth trophy in JJ's office

yes...

there are always questions

Swagger

Reaction score
The easiest way to put it is that if Aaron A-ROD Rodgers or Russell Wilson was the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys then we would be sitting 6-1 maybe even 7-0 with the Division already wrapped up concentrating on trying to get home field advantage in the post season. That's what paying a quarterback $33 million should get you. Not Dak 4-3 Prescott. I.e. where we will still probably be pipped by the Eagles to win the division and effectively miss out on the play offs.

That's why Prescott is worth around $25 million max. Bus driver who needs more talent around him to get the W.

How has Rodgers got on without Adams and how did Prescott fare without Cooper...?

Simple. For those who do not understand this very simple and basic point then they never will.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak is good and can be very good at times but he is not elite imho because he doesn't have elite arm talent. After our 1st 3 games i had him moving up from 16 to about 12 as he was scoring TD's at a much better rate but he still struggles against good defenses here. Our passing game is very QB friendly, with good players at all positions and a RB that must be respected even during a bad game.
I don't think he was the one with the problem against the better teams. Yeah, he made a couple of mistakes, but the receivers were dropping balls left and right, and the running game didn't seem to be there to help loosen up the defenses....and let's not forget penalties counteracting so many of the good plays.

Reaction score
Forget the first three games, if you remove just the Giants game he drops all the way down to 20th in passer rating and 12th in adjusted yards per attempt. He's living off one game where the Giants left everyone so open, my grandmother would have had 5 TD passes. He's the same guy.
It's always convenient to remove good games for Dak but not throw away good games of other QB's. Great way to support your narrative.

CWR

Reaction score
This isn't a bash-Dak thread. Nor is it an overly supportive thread.

Just a general inquiry to see if there is anyone still out there who believe Dak isn't such a liability that he can't be our starter and/or shouldn't be re-signed.

Prior to this season, for good reason, a lot of us questioned it; for sure. We all know what I'm talking about - no need to comb through the details.

To me, he's been very steady and consistent this year. We used to think he was the one who's holding the team back, or that he's just a game manager. But now, even in our losses, I don't think we're looking at Dak as the reason for the loss.

What say you? Anybody still not seen enough to be comfortable moving forward with him at $33-35 mil/yr?

Im with you, but as others have said its nearly impossible to not notice the hate he gets from some here.

Reaction score
I have no doubt Dak is a quality starting QB in this league.

The criticism saying “Dak is not elite” is ridiculous. There are only perhaps 3-5 elite qbs in this league. Are we saying now that unless our QB is a shoe-in HOFer we aren’t interested? Tony Romo was good but was never elite. Danny White took his teams to 3 straight NFC championships but was never “elite”. Dandy Don Meredith was very good but never elite.

We have had two elite QBs in this team’s history and they are both in the HOF. If that’s the only kind of QB Cowboys fans will accept, we are going to be in for a long wait.

Dak is good enough to go deep in the playoffs. He’s the least of this team's problems.
You are correct.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Look dude, I get your point entirely. You make perfect sense. The only part I disagree with is that he's average. There's a big gap between elite and average and he's somewhere in between.

The problem is this team has more problems than a slightly above average QB. This team is not great but for Dak. This team has motivational issues that stem back to 2010. We can't say with a straight face Dak isn't giving 100%. We can with the rest of the team on numerous occasions. This team has a consistency issue which probably is a result of coaching. That has to change first or else replacing the QB isn't helping. How many years have we seen this? Romo was no bum. We seen it with him too.
Nah he’s average. There is a big drop between elite and bad not elite and average. Average is middle of the pack which I think Dak is even if I lean more towards the lower end of average.

I believe Dak is giving 100% hence the reason I’m like I rather a better qb. I’m not for Garrett but they both can leave on the same train as far as I’m concerned. If you disagree that’s ok too.

Swagger

Reaction score
I have no doubt Dak is a quality starting QB in this league.

The criticism saying “Dak is not elite” is ridiculous. There are only perhaps 3-5 elite qbs in this league. Are we saying now that unless our QB is a shoe-in HOFer we aren’t interested? Tony Romo was good but was never elite. Danny White took his teams to 3 straight NFC championships but was never “elite”. Dandy Don Meredith was very good but never elite.

We have had two elite QBs in this team’s history and they are both in the HOF. If that’s the only kind of QB Cowboys fans will accept, we are going to be in for a long wait.

Dak is good enough to go deep in the playoffs. He’s the least of this team's problems.

Point is if Romo was on this team then we would be 6-1. He wins against the Jets and Saints make no mistake about that. Ok he doesn't beat that bad man Rodgers but at 6-1 we would now be concentrating on securing home field advantage in the play offs.

As it is it's a toss of a coin if we or the Eagles win the division and have zero chance of home field advantage in the post season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I'm convinced people don't watch games just see stats and listen to what people on tv who have their similar pov say. Outside of the first 3 games he hasn't been that good. He's had some good throws like the one to Amari in the Eagles game but overall he's been his old average self. Not good not bad.

It's the fantasy football mindset. I hate to use this point, but Skip Bayless said today "TD passes are overrated" - while people completely ignored the context here like they do with raw statistics and were mocking the quote.