Is Back Up QB the Biggest Concern?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were OK with Rush as the #2 QB last year and most of 2017.

If White can't beat out Rush for the #2 job this year, then it seems unlikely that he has much future value.

If White does beat out Rush as the #2, then there's not much point keeping Rush.

I'm thinking that they may try to get one of them to their practice squad, but if they can't, I don't think anyone will be losing too much sleep over it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Um... Kitna?

The season might have been lost but it wasn’t because of the QB when the team was 1-5 before he even got to start.

But none of them did well, Kitna included. In fact, I think every backup quarterback this team has had for over a decade has a losing record. Dallas is among the worst teams in all of football in winning with their backup quarterback for quite some time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm wondering about what some other teams might decide to do with their own backup quarterback positions.

Denver and San Francisco are two teams that come to mind that might have a few options. Not "veteran backup" names, but possibly more competent options than what we currently have.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
There were OK with Rush as the #2 QB last year and most of 2017.

If White can't beat out Rush for the #2 job this year, then it seems unlikely that he has much future value.

If White does beat out Rush as the #2, then there's not much point keeping Rush.

Pretty much what I was saying except for the fact I see no way they keep Rush over White. They will definitely hold onto at least one of the two, but if one is cut, I feel certain it won’t be White.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
But none of them did well, Kitna included. In fact, I think every backup quarterback this team has had for over a decade has a losing record. Dallas is among the worst teams in all of football in winning with their backup quarterback for quite some time.

Agree.

You could even count the 2008 season also.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I harbour no such concerns, in the lack of durability pertaining to our studly attack unit #4, SIMPLY BEING IN THE SURE PURE COMFORTING KNOWLEDGE OF KNOWING THAT OUR #38 is always ready&ever capable of STEPPING in by the mere barked command from our Head Coach & Easily Filling the frenzied panic of an NONEXISTENT VOIDo_O

*although, I do recall of recent recollections, in the wittnessing of the
DENVER D repeatedly dinging the helmeted encased casing-liner of a Cam Newton ,to the ringing tune of at least 4 unflagged helmet 2 helmet ringers ,,,er,,, in a fairly important game of seasonal significance:confused:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Well didnt these guys run a huddle in college??
If they cant now that is on JG and the cowboy coaches, what have they been teaching these guys all this time??
Either one should be able to fill in a game or 2 if they had been properly coached.
*it certainly appeared to me in the previous preseason, that the Q.B. abilities of COOPER RUSH exhibited the obvious signs of retardation in the meaningful skills category, judging from his prior preseason debut,,,o_O

jrumann59

Reaction score
I wouldn't characterize White as having a "cannon arm".
Hmmm do you think Mahomes has a cannon arm, or Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson. I only aks because based on ourlads his velocity was the same as Mahomes, more than Jackson and Watson. The weird thing is his passes seem to move faster than Dak's but his velocity is only 1mph better than Dak's. Mahomes looks like he is throwing 100mph and Daks passes look like they sort of sail to their destination

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Does anyone really have faith in either of our options at QB should Dak go down? Word is from Broaddus that neither Rush or White have shown the ability to command a huddle to the point that JG had to scold White for not being able to run the huddle. Very concerning IMO. Should we explore bringing in a vet? I mean if we are truly all in should we not ensure that if Dak has to miss a game or two that the boat doesnt completely sink?

I'm disappointed a little in a couple of things I've read on White, but I still think he get there. No reason to worry about acquiring a veteran at this point. If both Rush and White struggle during the preseason, then you start looking at cuts or even trades.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I'm disappointed a little in a couple of things I've read on White, but I still think he get there. No reason to worry about acquiring a veteran at this point. If both Rush and White struggle during the preseason, then you start looking at cuts or even trades.
I would prefer a back up who is there the entire camp and familiar with the term and plays and at least has some type of chemistry with some of the WRs on the roster.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am concerned, and would feel better if we had a solid veteran backup, but I’ll keep my mind open. Hopefully White will take a step forward.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
*it certainly appeared to me in the previous preseason, that the Q.B. abilities of COOPER RUSH exhibited the obvious signs of retardation in the meaningful skills category, judging from his prior preseason debut,,,o_O
exactly ! players seem to go backwards after they have been with the cowboys for more than 1 season.
So often their first year is good, after that it tends to go downhill.

boysfanperiod

Reaction score
Does anyone really have faith in either of our options at QB should Dak go down? Word is from Broaddus that neither Rush or White have shown the ability to command a huddle to the point that JG had to scold White for not being able to run the huddle. Very concerning IMO. Should we explore bringing in a vet? I mean if we are truly all in should we not ensure that if Dak has to miss a game or two that the boat doesnt completely sink?

Wow, and some of you thought JG only claps. :p

I think we should cut White and keep Rush to bring in a vet. I don't know what vet qbs are available, though. However, that is a concern. What do you do when the next man up isn't that good?

Melonfeud

Reaction score
exactly ! players seem to go backwards after they have been with the cowboys for more than 1 season.
So often their first year is good, after that it tends to go downhill.
Ha,ya! Kinda' like they get shoehorned into a hallway broom closet & are only released into the light of day as necessary,,, I know,,,er,,,ya know?o_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes it is. I expect them to sign a veteran sometime between now and right after final cuts.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would prefer a back up who is there the entire camp and familiar with the term and plays and at least has some type of chemistry with some of the WRs on the roster.

That's fair. However, it would cost us to get a quality backup when we might just find out we've already got one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wow, and some of you thought JG only claps. :p

I think we should cut White and keep Rush to bring in a vet. I don't know what vet qbs are available, though. However, that is a concern. What do you do when the next man up isn't that good?
Why would you want to keep Rush? He's terrible an doesn't have an NFL arm.