Is Back Up QB the Biggest Concern?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I really hope Mike white shows something to get the backup job,if he doesnt then its time to jettison both and get a veteran QB for a backup.
You don’t get rid of White after one year. Getting a vet if he’s not ready to be the backup is fine, but you don’t get rid of him. You always keep a developmental QB, either on the 53 or practice squad.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Bigger Concerns than backup QB:
1. LG - Williams was pretty bad last year; especially in pass protection
2. RT - DItto Collins
3. C - We need Travis Frederick to be healthy and his old self or a very, very close approximation. Looney played admirably, but he's several steps below TF
4. LT - Mostly health concerns and Smith's struggling with guys who can really fly off the edge, e.g. Frank Clark in Seattle. Hopefully Tyron has a bounce-back year (I know PFF credited him with 0 sacks, but Bob Sturm proved that completely bogus in his detailed study of every sack given up by the Cowboys in 2018; Smith gave up 3)
5. S - I hope Woods can be more than just steady, and make some plays. Hopefully Wilson, Iloka or someone else can out-perform the mediocre, but steady Jeff Heath
6. TE - Witten can reliably get open under 10 yards. His YAC #s in 2017 were worst in the league and he doesn't get open downfield. Maybe Jarwin or Schultz can make plays. Jarwin started to show that at the end.
7. DT - Health, inexperience and lack of play-making the last 3-4 games maybe exposed them a little. If Woods & Collins can remain healthy, and Hill lives up to his draft selection, then we're talking. Else, it could be a problem the 2nd half of the season as the LBs take a beating week after week.
8. K - Maher got shaky in the last quarter of the season

Flamma

Reaction score
You mean like when Dak was thrust into the starting role as a rookie? Or when a totally unknown and unproven Romo was inserted into the lineup? Or better yet, when 6th round pick and unproven Tom Brady had to play when Bledsoe got hurt? I wish some of you guys would loan me your crystal ball. I’d love to get the winning lottery numbers.

I don't remember if Romo or Brady looked like crap before they came in to play, but I remember Dak didn't. But either way these are miracle stories, outliers, not the rule. I don't need a crystal ball anymore than I would need one to know I'm not winning the lottery.

Birdgang

Reaction score
This is why you need to let backups into live games. But seems last 3 years stat padding was more important towards end of games and the end of season. Its common sense that experience can trump all just as in real life. Knowing how and being able to is a big difference .... just like kids coming out of college with a degree ....

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bigger Concerns than backup QB:
1. LG - Williams was pretty bad last year; especially in pass protection
2. RT - DItto Collins
3. C - We need Travis Frederick to be healthy and his old self or a very, very close approximation. Looney played admirably, but he's several steps below TF
4. LT - Mostly health concerns and Smith's struggling with guys who can really fly off the edge, e.g. Frank Clark in Seattle. Hopefully Tyron has a bounce-back year (I know PFF credited him with 0 sacks, but Bob Sturm proved that completely bogus in his detailed study of every sack given up by the Cowboys in 2018; Smith gave up 3)
5. S - I hope Woods can be more than just steady, and make some plays. Hopefully Wilson, Iloka or someone else can out-perform the mediocre, but steady Jeff Heath
6. TE - Witten can reliably get open under 10 yards. His YAC #s in 2017 were worst in the league and he doesn't get open downfield. Maybe Jarwin or Schultz can make plays. Jarwin started to show that at the end.
7. DT - Health, inexperience and lack of play-making the last 3-4 games maybe exposed them a little. If Woods & Collins can remain healthy, and Hill lives up to his draft selection, then we're talking. Else, it could be a problem the 2nd half of the season as the LBs take a beating week after week.
8. K - Maher got shaky in the last quarter of the season

This is a good list, but the QB can get seriously hurt on any given play.

It happens.

We really do not have another QB who can be a starter and win.

There are many reasons for this.

One of them: Command does not want QB competition in camp. This is political in nature. They are all in on Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Does anyone really have faith in either of our options at QB should Dak go down? Word is from Broaddus that neither Rush or White have shown the ability to command a huddle to the point that JG had to scold White for not being able to run the huddle. Very concerning IMO. Should we explore bringing in a vet? I mean if we are truly all in should we not ensure that if Dak has to miss a game or two that the boat doesnt completely sink?

It should be a HUGE concern. And nothing to do with Dak. We need a reliable backup. Should probably be a quality veteran.

Another fundamental weakness of management they haven't corrected yet.

GenoT

Reaction score
Obvioiusly, that was supposed to be QBs.

I don't know why we don't value Backup QBs. I mean, our HC was the Backup QB for us and was valued in that role. I can't say I understand it.
I guess our undervaluing the backup QB position meshes with Jerry’s calculated-risk “wildcatter” mentality.

At least our BUps will be entering their third and second years, respectively, in the system...that should be a plus.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don't remember if Romo or Brady looked like crap before they came in to play, but I remember Dak didn't. But either way these are miracle stories, outliers, not the rule. I don't need a crystal ball anymore than I would need one to know I'm not winning the lottery.
My point was simple. There are no absolutes, even though a few on here think they’re the Nostradamus of the NFL.

Cebrin

Reaction score
We'll see after preseason. We do have a young back up with something to prove.

csirl

Reaction score
QB is a concern full stop. We likely have the weakest QB room in the league.

On the negative side, none of our backups have any useful experience.

On the positive side, we have a weak starter, so the drop off between starter and backup may not be as big as with other teams.

Flamma

Reaction score
My point was simple. There are no absolutes, even though a few on here think they’re the Nostradamus of the NFL.

In this we agree. But I wasn't exactly going out on a limb. I'd be closer to Captain Obvious than Nostradamus. But yeah, I know I can be wrong. Wouldn't be anything out of the ordinary either.

GMO415

Reaction score
BB on DC.com brought it up this week on Talkin Cowboys. That's his biggest concern. It looks like we'll need a savy Vet to come in.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don’t get rid of White after one year. Getting a vet if he’s not ready to be the backup is fine, but you don’t get rid of him. You always keep a developmental QB, either on the 53 or practice squad.

There were OK with Rush as the #2 QB last year and most of 2017.

If White can't beat out Rush for the #2 job this year, then it seems unlikely that he has much future value.

If White does beat out Rush as the #2, then there's not much point keeping Rush.

dfense

Reaction score
Backup QB absolutely is a serious concern. If Dak goes down with serious injury that costs him half the season or the rest of the season, this season is over folks with Orange Crush and Mike White as backups. Gua-ran-teed

The Dak detractors will get a rude awakening as to how valuable Dak truly is.
Unless of course Mike "the gun" White starts lighting the place up. :)

Texasfootball21

Reaction score
Backup QB is a huge concern because this team is capable of going the distance this season. Hopefully nothing happens to #4 or we may be forced into a mid season trade for a vet at some point. RG3, ect...

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Not concerned until there is a need to be. Most teams don't have a decent starting QB, let alone a backup. I think White would be fine and fully expect him to be the #2 once the season starts. He has stuff to learn but the kid is the best thrower of the football on the team.