Is Baltimore's Defense Overrated?

Slashar00

Reaction score
I think they're obviously pretty good, but I'm not sure if they're all that good.

The average of their opponents offenses rank at 20.5. This is the equivalent of playing Jacksonville (off rank 20) or themselves (off rank 21) every week. Not really very tough offensive competition there.

As a matter of fact, their opponents in the AFC North sport a god awful offensive ranking average of 28.6. The 29th ranked offense in the NFL is the Detroit Lions.

Reaction score
Slashar00;2502043 said:
I think they're obviously pretty good, but I'm not sure if they're all that good.

The average of their opponents offenses rank at 20.5. This is the equivalent of playing Jacksonville (off rank 20) or themselves (off rank 21) every week. Not really very tough offensive competition there.

As a matter of fact, their opponents in the AFC North sport a god awful offensive ranking average of 28.6. The 29th ranked offense in the NFL is the Detroit Lions.

STOP!!!!!! Come on! You play who is on the schedule and they whooped their butts. They are what they are.... #2 ranked D.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
NO! They have been too good for too long. I think we will win this one but it is going to be a tough physical game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Slashar00;2502043 said:

I think they are a very good defense. As good as they numbers indicate maybe not but they have some playmakers on that defense who can take over a game

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Time of possession needs to be factored in as well. A bad offense wears down a good defense...

l0ngsh0t

Reaction score
What worries me is that they specialize on making QB who improv look bad. In fact most of their defensive touchdowns come off putting pressure on the QB and getting him to make a quick throw. I fear that Romo could have a game like he did against the Bills last year.

Slashar00

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2502048 said:
STOP!!!!!! Come on! You play who is on the schedule and they whooped their butts. They are what they are.... #2 ranked D.

The only top offenses that they've whooped are the Eagles and the Texans. The Texans, however, are turnover kings. They lead the league in offensive turnovers so their ranking is misleading. (Lots of yards, lots of ints and fumbles.)

The only other top 10 offense they've played is the NY Giants. The Giants stuck 30 points on them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Slashar00;2502059 said:
The only top offenses that they've whooped are the Eagles and the Texans. The Texans, however, are turnover kings. They lead the league in offensive turnovers so their ranking is misleading. (Lots of yards, lots of ints and fumbles).

The only other top 10 offense they've played is the NY Giants. The Giants stuck 30 points on them.

Indy lashed'em with 31 points.

This isn't (by far) the same quality of defense that helped the Ravens win a SB.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
No... They've helped take my Fantasy Football team all the way to the Super Bowl!!! :D

Slashar00

Reaction score
l0ngsh0t;2502058 said:
What worries me is that they specialize on making QB who improv look bad. In fact most of their defensive touchdowns come off putting pressure on the QB and getting him to make a quick throw. I fear that Romo could have a game like he did against the Bills last year.

Baltimore leads the league in interceptions, so you definitely have a point there. It's possible.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
l0ngsh0t;2502058 said:

Well he'd have to go a long ways to do that. But given his inaccuracy lately and his penchant for forcing throws and trying to pull plays out his rear at times then I understand you.

He has been getting better at reducing those 'oh, no' moments. But he was so bad at it you can't tell that well.

I love Tony. Wouldn't trade him for anyone right now. But he needs to stop having those moments.

Slashar00

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2502063 said:
Indy lashed'em with 31 points.

This isn't (by far) the same quality of defense that helped the Ravens win a SB.

Yes, and Indy is only ranked 18th in offense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They are good because they are so aggressive and pursue so well. The key is to exploit that aggression IMO.

We will roll if we keep Tony upright, those corners can't match up with our WRs.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well the game against NY should give them some idea of pressure but they play a 3-4. Balt is for real. This is gonna be another war.

l0ngsh0t

Reaction score
Ed Reed makes a living jumping those dumpoff routes when the Qb is under pressure. That's exactly what Romo does. I just hope that he goes into this game with that understanding. Its better to throw it deep when under pressure (Like he did against SF), then to throw to Witten underneath. Especially against this defense.

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
The only game I saw them was vs. the NYG and they had it handed to them. But they're good, no doubt -- but not as good as the "hype."

We win this game anyway.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It helps that we practice against an opportunistic 3-4. I think their defense is very good, but not dominating like it once was.

Their offense is better than people generally think, though, too. This will be an awesome game.

Verdict

Reaction score
Slashar00;2502043 said:

It looks like a few posters are busting your chops, but I think your point is valid. Baltimore is a very good, very physical defense. I'm not convinced they are as good as advertised. I think they match up better against a power running game that lacks speed rather than a quicker running attack. Choice might actually be more effective toting the rock than Barber would have been this week. One thing is for sure though, we do need to protect the ball!!

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i wont say they are overrated but they are not unbeatable on defense. they just have a lot of playmakers that make huge plays when they most need them and are great at stopping the run! thats a huge recipe for success! I think if Romo doesnt turn the ball over that we can win this game going away though because the Ravens offense is not good! i think we get at least 3 int's off Flacco!