Is Beldsoe a Capable Replacement for TestaVerde?

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Looks like TestaVerde will say goodbye to Dallas and hello to Carolina ...maybe!

s70.jpg

Testaverde,
Vinny

Panthers?
Vinny still available
<Jul. 6> The Giants have decided not to pursue Testaverde, the New York Daily News reports. The Panthers could be interested in Testaverde. The veteran quarterback is staying in shape in hopes of one final season. If Carolina is unhappy with Chris Weinke's progress, they could look to him before training camp. Testaverde started 15 games for the Cowboys last season, compiling a 76.4 passer rating. The Jets expressed interest in Testaverde earlier in the offseason, but ...chose to sign Jay Fiedler instead.

Or will the Cowboys chose to keep TestaVerde for QB depth?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Define "capable".

Even I'll admit that Bledsoe is an upgrade to Vinny. He'll toss a handful more TD's and give up a few less ints. But the trade off will be a lower completion percentage and more fumbles and sacks.

If Bledsoe has a QB rating higher than 80 it will be a gift.

The problem with all this is that Bledsoe has no upside. He is what his is. He's a "bus driver" at this point of his career and the QB of the Dallas Cowboys should be more than a "bus driver" IMHO.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Vinny is long gone PT.
BP let his buddy go so you can imagine just how much he has left.

Bledsoe is a more than capable replacement for Vinny but that doesn't make him a world beater obviously.

I generally agree with MW about Bledsoe being a bus driver but I am not against having a bus driver at QB. Then again I like winning with defense and the running game.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
But you know what? TestaVerde may have Been a nice backup QB to Bledsoe. With two veteran QBs putting their heads together, one is Bound to be on while the other is not.

I agree with MW and JT; Bledsoe is an improvement, but not the total package that allas needs during this tenure. So you really think BP is going through with a deal to free up TestaVerde?!?!

He may.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Well...Bledsoe is younger.....I guess that's all I can say.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
But you know what? TestaVerde may have Been a nice backup QB to Bledsoe. With two veteran QBs putting their heads together, one is Bound to be on while the other is not.

I agree with MW and JT; Bledsoe is an improvement, but not the total package that allas needs during this tenure. So you really think BP is going through with a deal to free up TestaVerde?!?!

He may.
If Vinny ends up back here I'll be shocked. I'll also be hunting you down.

:grin:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I think Bledsoe can be for Parcells what Vinny was when he played for Parcells w/ the Jets. I believe Bledsoe will blossom under Parcells.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bledsoe can do the job, I don't expect Pro Bowl numbers from him but I do think he can help direct this offense

yesfan

Reaction score
Bledsoe seemed to have done just fine last year,all
we can do is hope he can lead this team to be in contention
for a playoff spot.He should have a good cast around him,so
i think he could even be an upgrade.I think more importantly,do
we have a capable backup,in the event Bledsoe goes down.

lspain1

Reaction score
yesfan said:
I think more importantly,do we have a capable backup,in the event Bledsoe goes down.

Yesfan, Bledsoe has been tough over the years, even with his sack totals. Your question is a good one though. I hope pre-season football this year gives us some indication of what we have,

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bledsoe doesn't have to do much to be a capable replacement for Testaverde or any of our other QBs we've had over the last four to five years.

lspain1

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Bledsoe doesn't have to do much to be a capable replacement for Testaverde or any of our other QBs we've had over the last four to five years.

Agreed WG........

But that's not saying much!! :bang2:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I don't think we need the likes of Vinny back here to backup Bledsoe. I have never been a big believer in the vet backup at QB since any vet who would be willing to be a backup is:

A) Washed up (Vinny) or
B) was never all that to start with.

Dallas has done very well throughout their history with having young talented players as backups and that is the way I like it. We don't need and I certainly don't want Vinny to ever again wear the Star.

He may.
Bledsoe is a definite improvement over Testaverde IMO. They are similar in style of play and mobility (or the lack thereof). But Bledsoe is like 7 years younger (not sure exactly) and his arm has not deteriorated the way Vinny's has. Bledsoe will hold up for the entire game all season whereas Vinny faded in the second half and especially the 4th quarter beginning with about the 6th game. Vinny was just too old to hold up under the constant wear and tear of an NFL season; Bledsoe is not too old. I think Bledsoe will fare better than many here believe but I too agree that he is not the long term answer and that he may not even be the best QB on our roster ATM.

I don't know what you mean by "free up Testaverde" since Testaverde has no contract with any team including the Dallas Cowboys it would seem to me that he is about as free as you can get in football terms. But if you mean do we think that BP will bring Vinny back to Dallas to backup Bledsoe my answer is an unequivocal NO. I think it was more than evident when Vinny sold his house in Dallas and packed his family up and moved back to New York / New Jersey (somewhere up there) before we even signed Bledsoe.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
to bury bledsoe or not to bury bledsoe that is the question(well it is for most Defensive lineman)
whether tis noblier to praise a Henson (or any other future qb)
or to once again kick the (old fart sack)bledsoe in the teeth...

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
if BP doesn't like what he sees from the kids by the end of camp... he'll bring vinny back in a new york minute. :bang2:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tothewhipbill said:
if BP doesn't like what he sees from the kids by the end of camp... he'll bring vinny back in a new york minute. :bang2:
I don't think so. I think people are overestimating his fondness for Vinny because of how things went down last year.

Vinny's time here is over. After the way he was treated by fans at Texas Stadium, he probably wouldn't come back even if the 'boys wanted him to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
I don't think so. I think people are overestimating his fondness for Vinny because of how things went down last year.

Vinny's time here is over. After the way he was treated by fans at Texas Stadium, he probably wouldn't come back even if the 'boys wanted him to.

I agree, I think the Vinny thing gets over blown.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
I don't know what you mean by "free up Testaverde" since Testaverde has no contract with any team including the Dallas Cowboys it would seem to me that he is about as free as you can get in football terms. But if you mean do we think that BP will bring Vinny back to Dallas to backup Bledsoe my answer is an unequivocal NO.

I can relate to pretty much of what you're saying. But when I used the term "free up," I mean that even though TestaVerde does not have a tangible binding contract, he is still under some pressure to hold his current status pending BP's decision to make the final thumbs up/down regarding TestaVerde's status. While I don't think the Panthers or any other team will knock the doors down with any contract proposals, I still think VT has some NFL time remaining for some team in the NFL. Will that team be Dallas? We'll see!